collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 381
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Baku Stays on F1 Schedule Through 2023  (Read 1843 times)

Offline cosworth151

Baku Stays on F1 Schedule Through 2023
« on: February 06, 2019, 12:28:06 AM »
Baku, Azerbaijan will remain on the F1 calendar through the 2023 season.

Azad Rahimov, Azerbaijan minister of sport and youth, and Formula 1 chairman and CEO Chase Carey signed the new deal at the 2019 Conference on Benefits of Hosting Major Sports Events -- an event organized by the Baku City Circuit.

"We are very pleased to have renewed this agreement which will see the Azerbaijan Grand Prix feature on the FIA Formula 1 world championship calendar for many years to come," said Carey. "In just a short space of time, this race has become one of the most popular of the season, always producing closely fought and spectacular racing. The Republic of Azerbaijan provides a really excellent welcome to everyone in Formula 1, and the beautiful city of Baku is an amazing backdrop for the greatest motor racing show in the world."

https://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/f1-continue-racing-baku-through-2023

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Calman

Re: Baku Stays on F1 Schedule Through 2023
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 12:58:23 AM »
"always producing closely fought and spectacular racing."

What would you know Carey, you're only a businessman!

"many years to come" ... it's only 5, if my maths are accurate?  :DD

Is this now been solidified, as races like Miami didn't deliver the best cookies in the cookie jar?  :D

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

guest3164

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 01:31:31 PM »
To be fair, I do not mind the Baku Grand Prix, of all the new(er) ones it is one of the more interesting and the 2017 was a pretty exciting race!

However, I do find it frustrating that places like this get the red carpet treatment and races that have historic value are neglected and forced to react like they did publicly last week.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 02:46:24 PM »

However, I do find it frustrating that places like this get the red carpet treatment and races that have historic value are neglected and forced to react like they did publicly last week.

It's seems to be how all commerce is conducted now, there's no bonus for being a long term client/customer, all the good deals and news is about new business.

Having said that I quite like Baku now, it offers a couple of differences to all other tracks - the enormously long start/finish straight and the street track barriers, with high speed approaches to 90 degree turns, that catch out quite a few drivers at each GP. 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 04:30:03 PM »
Since so many drivers make mistakes there, I think it's a good test of skill. The results seem to always have a surprise or two. I agree with John and Luke, it's a shame they don't work as hard to hang on to Silverstone, Spa, or Monza. Now Mexico is possibly in trouble as the government has withdrawn their financing. If Mexico can't survive with the crowds they draw, there is something wrong with the system. 
Lonny

Offline Calman

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 07:16:33 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I do like Baku myself.  As Luke said above, I think it was indeed 2017, which involved a stunning amount of wheel-2-wheel and overtakes in the entire season!!! ... and that has to be good for F1.

I hope the historic races are protected as we go forward.   We have heard more and more rumours about Monaco not being ideal for modern race cars and of course, political friction and money matters with many other venues in Europe.

I just don't want to see a calendar with "glossy new venues" and no historic race tracks to embrace anymore.  The new management is purely looking at race weekends as a package, in that they want a city with money to bring fans in for spending purposes, not just to come watch a race - that's business, but it's also a concern.

Best Regards,
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Robem64

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 01:44:52 PM »
Went to the Baku race in 2017 and loved it...the event, the place was all fabulous. So much so, we're going back for this season.
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 03:13:54 PM »
I hope the historic races are protected as we go forward.   We have heard more and more rumours about Monaco not being ideal for modern race cars and of course, political friction and money matters with many other venues in Europe.

I just don't want to see a calendar with "glossy new venues" and no historic race tracks to embrace anymore.  The new management is purely looking at race weekends as a package, in that they want a city with money to bring fans in for spending purposes, not just to come watch a race - that's business, but it's also a concern.

Best Regards,

Monaco isn't going anywhere, 'glossy' is a good word, and Monaco sets the standard for what a glossy event is. 

The 'trouble' with the 'historic' events is they feel like a bunch of people hanging out in the countryside.  Naturally as race fans we're all like 'yeah, a race track out in the country IS racing', but investors want every race to be a big glossy event like Monaco.  As long as people are willing to pony up to put on a glossy event, the 'real' races will continue to fall to the side. 

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 04:24:10 PM »
NASCAR tried the same thing. They dumped historic tracks like Rockingham & North Wilksboro for glossy new BCC (Boring Charlotte Clones) in big cities. They pick up some "fad fans" but lost most of their hard core base. Now the fad fans have moved on to the next fad. Take a look at the stands at a Cup race. You could stampede a herd of cattle through them & not hit anyone.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

guest3164

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 06:30:32 PM »
Went to the Baku race in 2017 and loved it...the event, the place was all fabulous. So much so, we're going back for this season.

I must admit if I could go, it is a very appealing Grand Prix to go to.  The track looks great and the venue (despite the dubious politics) looks great to visit. 

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 06:56:47 PM »
NASCAR tried the same thing. They dumped historic tracks like Rockingham & North Wilksboro for glossy new BCC (Boring Charlotte Clones) in big cities. They pick up some "fad fans" but lost most of their hard core base. Now the fad fans have moved on to the next fad. Take a look at the stands at a Cup race. You could stampede a herd of cattle through them & not hit anyone.

Totally right. Throw in the "Car of Tomorrow" and you've got what's killing NASCAR.
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 10:42:37 PM »
And "Segment Racing."  :sick: Cars going slowly & not passing isn't racing, it's rush hour traffic.
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle