collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 115
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Oh No - more strife for F1 owners Liberty  (Read 6010 times)

Offline Jericoke

Re: Oh No - more strife for F1 owners Liberty
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2019, 02:27:47 AM »
That always puzzled me about F1. They are handicapping the teams efforts to get sponsors by narrowing the TV audience. Sky may be good for the short term bottom line but has to hurt in the long run.

I first watched F1 on Free to Air broadcasts on the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.  It's a great way to attract casual fans who will become more interested.  No one wakes up one day deciding to pay hundreds of dollars to watch something they've never seen.

Offline Calman

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2019, 03:55:34 AM »
Don't panic!! .. we have found Liberty Media's replacement.  He is taking a consultancy role for now, then watch out, Mr S is coming!!!!!!

https://www.pitpass.com/63903/Smedley-takes-consultancy-role-with-F1

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2019, 07:19:44 AM »
That always puzzled me about F1. They are handicapping the teams efforts to get sponsors by narrowing the TV audience. Sky may be good for the short term bottom line but has to hurt in the long run.

They prefer to have all of a smaller pie than a piece of the larger one, and using their platform powers to get it.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2019, 08:51:44 AM »

They prefer to have all of a smaller pie than a piece of the larger one, and using their platform powers to get it.
But that doesn’t address the question about how limited viewership hurts sponsorship value and therefor everyone’s bottom line.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

guest3164

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2019, 10:44:17 AM »
Don't panic!! .. we have found Liberty Media's replacement.  He is taking a consultancy role for now, then watch out, Mr S is coming!!!!!!

https://www.pitpass.com/63903/Smedley-takes-consultancy-role-with-F1

Best Regards,

Quite alarming how many ex-Williams staff are going straight from the team to the FIA.  Alarming as many helped lead to the hole the team are in now.  Although, maybe they are working to drag the standards of the sport down to Williams level.  One can but hope!

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2019, 11:56:22 AM »

Quite alarming how many ex-Williams staff are going straight from the team to the FIA.  Alarming as many helped lead to the hole the team are in now.  Although, maybe they are working to drag the standards of the sport down to Williams level.  One can but hope!

Ah you've spotted Frank's long term plan Luke, send the moles in, if you can't catch the others get the Regs to slow them all down.  :D 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

guest3164

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2019, 12:15:20 PM »
It's true though John!  They even took Williams' old head of Aerodynamics, Jason Somerville, and what has been perceived as the team's weakness over the last goodness knows how many years?! 

Frank's a cunning old fox!

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2019, 11:19:24 PM »
But that doesn’t address the question about how limited viewership hurts sponsorship value and therefor everyone’s bottom line.

I think that might be the hole in the FIA's plan ;)
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Calman

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2019, 11:48:37 PM »
It's true though John!  They even took Williams' old head of Aerodynamics, Jason Somerville, and what has been perceived as the team's weakness over the last goodness knows how many years?! 

Frank's a cunning old fox!

As a Williams aficionado Luke, do you know much about Pat Symond's involvement nowadays (other than bumbling around with cameo visits to the Sky F1 Team?

After all these years, I still struggle to believe that Pat was the key figure responsible for the Piquet Jr saga!!

Best Regards,

Offline Calman

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2019, 02:56:57 AM »
Still, these headlines surrounding Liberty Media are rumbling on ...
https://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsport/formula-one/f1-news-2019-liberty-media-could-be-set-to-sell-sport-they-purchased-for-1085bn-two-years-ago/news-story/9bda984df9b41954a12e745f4869362f

Maybe it will all settle down by the 17th March, only time will tell?

Best Regards,

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2019, 04:05:53 AM »
Unless Liberty has decided there is no profit to be made, they are unlikely to sell. It's too soon. Any buyers will be looking for them to discount the price. I doubt Liberty will want to take a substantial hit after so short a time.
Lonny

Offline Calman

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2019, 06:16:19 AM »
Pretty much!!

It's a bit like driving a brand new car out of a dealership, then trying to trade it in to the garage across the road a week later.

They might as well stick it out, get the best out of the "Car" ... then cut their losses when there is nothing more to gain.

Best Regards,

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2019, 06:30:16 AM »
As a Williams aficionado Luke, do you know much about Pat Symond's involvement nowadays (other than bumbling around with cameo visits to the Sky F1 Team?

After all these years, I still struggle to believe that Pat was the key figure responsible for the Piquet Jr saga!!

Best Regards,

I understand Pat retired from that role at the end of 2016 to focus on media work. Which would explain a lot.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

guest3164

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2019, 07:33:21 AM »
I would un-retire Pat promptly by making him an offer he couldn't refuse. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle