collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 379
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Oh No - more strife for F1 owners Liberty  (Read 5995 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Oh No - more strife for F1 owners Liberty
« on: February 10, 2019, 02:24:56 PM »
Now they've lost a TV broadcast deal worth over 7% of all F1 broadcast revenues.  :swoon:

https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/4139/liberty-media-has-lost-one-of-f1-s-biggest-television-deals/

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

guest3164

Re: Oh No - more strife for F1 owners Liberty
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 02:29:44 PM »
With any luck Sky pull out so I can cancel Sky Sports too.

Offline Calman

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 08:27:19 PM »
I wonder what Sir Bernie thinks of all of this?

It just seems to be one new headline (or do I mean 'Liberty disaster story') weekly now.   :DntKnw:

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 01:14:18 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if Bernie wasn't behind it. Spreading rumors and stirring the pot in an effort to get F1 back on the cheap.
Lonny

guest3164

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 07:47:06 AM »
That's my feeling too, Lonny.  Then he'll get it back and rip off the viewing public even further (given most of these pay walls were put in by him in the first place!)

Offline Calman

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 08:18:21 AM »
Since we are discussing Bernie, I thought I'd change my Avatar.   I mean, c'mon, how can you not love Bernie???? ... as the sun rises, Bernie makes prizes, as the sun sets, he provides people with humongous debts!!!

Simply put, he is a lovely, caring, generous old man .... gimmi a minute, my alarm clock will go off!!!   :DD

Best Regards,

guest3164

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 08:30:43 AM »
Good morning Mr Ecclestone, nice to meet you. 

By nice, I mean slightly nauseating.   :tease:

Offline Calman

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 09:13:56 AM »
By nice, I mean slightly nauseating.   :tease:

Nauseating? ...

In that case, can we open discussions regarding contracts, usage rights, slice of the pie and general percentages if you will ... oh yes, I have some cheep local medical supplies in my "old man" trouser pocket ... those you can have for FREE!!! (as I think they are lozenges stuck to an old handkerchief from 1978).

Get back to me ...

Best Regards,

guest3164

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 09:35:24 AM »
Where has the Bernie pic gone?!

Where is the hidden cost behind these free lozenges? 

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 03:11:14 PM »
As much as I'm happy to assume Bernie is behind everything F1... a company owned by the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia driving a spike into an American media company might have other ulterior motives.

Offline Calman

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 04:35:36 PM »
Where has the Bernie pic gone?!

Where is the hidden cost behind these free lozenges?

The Bernie Pic has now taken on an Ambassador role, so although you don't see it, it's still lurking in the backdrop.  The hidden cost in the lozenges is based on their centers, EMPTY!!!!

Best Regards,

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 09:05:36 PM »
Sounds like something gloriously petty, from the puns involved:

- Genuine article: BeIN
- Pirate outfit: BeoutQ

You can sort of tell who BeoutQ's main target is just from the name...

Also, tackling third-party piracy by a broadcaster was no more a strength of Bernie's than Liberty's, largely because that sort of thing needs a government capable and willing to enforce contract law, rather than anything a content provider could realistically do. For once, I'm happy to exonerate Bernie from accusations of foul play, at least regarding the "face value" problem. (Where I do not exonerate him, is that he almost certainly did some backroom mischief to highlight content owners' impotence on the matter).

It's all well and good asking a content provider to start legal cases over contractual exclusivity, but there are at least a dozen jurisdictions involved, not all of which (perhaps not any - I'm not sure this is the only pirated content BeoutQ has - have the ability to enforce a judgment even if Liberty could have obtained it. In the case of Saudi Arabia, the nation BeIN appears to have considered the flashpoint, it's unlikely that Liberty could have got the case to court at all given the polities involved (Saudi Arabia is very sensitive at the moment to accusations its favoured entities could do any wrong whatsoever). The fact that the average accepted commercial case in Saudi Arabia takes 575 (or, 1 year and 7 months) to be decided (slightly faster than average for the region, but still quite a backlog) may also have been a factor.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2019, 05:00:51 PM »
Double-post because I think Liberty's situation has not improved...

The EU has ruled that, at least in some circumstances, it is possible for per-country selling of TV contracts in the EU be illegal under some circumstances if it isn't necessary and is done in a way to breach anti-competition law. This week, a challenge from Canal+ was dismissed, thus cementing this interpretation. (I emphasise at this point that the finer details of what is/isn't "necessary" aren't fully worked out yet).

Two takeaways:

1) Liberty may be challenged in court if providers within the EU27 wish to make their F1 programming available to people in other EU countries. That could lose it a lot of money, as the number of total TV contracts will decrease.

2) Liberty may be able to claw some of this back by challenging those broadcasters who have exclusive online rights that the specific provision is no longer legal - and thus get F1 TV Pro into EU countries that don't currently have the option.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Ian

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 04:13:42 PM »
No sympathy for Liberty, they thought they could make a fortune by giving sky sports the lot. At least the important suits in rugby union got it right. Sky sports and netflix were both after the 6 Nations series but the suits slammed the door in their faces saying they were more than happy with ITV's and BBC's coverage and that it reached a wider coverage with them.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 04:26:43 PM »
That always puzzled me about F1. They are handicapping the teams efforts to get sponsors by narrowing the TV audience. Sky may be good for the short term bottom line but has to hurt in the long run.
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle