collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 351
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: What F1 drivers/teams really mean when commenting on 1st test day  (Read 2123 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
We used to all love Ronspeak, but now corporate speak not so much. Luckily Paul Valesco helps us interpret what they really mean in Barcelona.

Love the "Hmmm, not sure about the handling guys"  ;)

https://www.grandprix247.com/2019/02/19/inside-line-what-they-say-and-what-they-really-mean-during-testing/

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Alonsofan

Re: What F1 drivers/teams really mean when commenting on 1st test day
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 08:01:01 PM »
I love reading drivers/teams comments they are always worth a laugh  :DD

How has Grosjean still got a seat?

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 03:35:30 PM »

Gene Haas is a NASCAR man.  NASCAR has a history just as extensive and colourful as Formula One.  A huge aspect of NASCAR, historically, has been loyalty.  If you show up and do your job, you're rewarded:  drivers and teams could stay together for DECADES, running on past glories.  When Haas was starting out, they needed an experienced driver to show up and do their job, and Grosjean did.  While Formula One is very much a 'what have you done for me lately' type series, Haas won't get rid of someone who has done well just because they're going through a rough patch. 

Offline Alonsofan

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 05:31:32 PM »

Gene Haas is a NASCAR man.  NASCAR has a history just as extensive and colourful as Formula One.  A huge aspect of NASCAR, historically, has been loyalty.  If you show up and do your job, you're rewarded:  drivers and teams could stay together for DECADES, running on past glories.  When Haas was starting out, they needed an experienced driver to show up and do their job, and Grosjean did.  While Formula One is very much a 'what have you done for me lately' type series, Haas won't get rid of someone who has done well just because they're going through a rough patch.

Rough patch?!?! That's an understatement, he has always been rubbish. I will never forgive him for nearly killing baby cakes in 2012. He will always be a beeping beep  >:D

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 07:39:31 PM »
One of my all time favorite driver comments was back in the early 2000's. Toyota really didn't like admitting engine failures. One time when a Toyota expired in a cloud of smoke the team claimed it was an electrical failure. When asked about it later the driver (I think it was Allen McNish but I could be wrong) confirmed that it was an electrical issue. When the connecting rod ripped trough the side of the engine block it knocked the alternator completely off!
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 09:15:15 PM »
 :DD :DD :DD

Reminds me of Graham Hill after a major BRM blow up. When asked what happened he said "Well, first it went bang, then it didn't go at all!".
Lonny

Offline Monty

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 08:22:15 AM »
I really wish everyone in F1 could take some lessons from Graham Hill, or even Kimi, and just tell us what is really happening. Let's face it, irrespective of what corporately correct mis-information they present, the press make up great conspiracy stories anyway. Wouldn't it better if we could hear emotional quotes like: "some ****ing idiot didn't tighten the  high tensile widget flange so the flux capacitor failed and the giro pulley came off and went straight through the slime cooler" (all genuine technical possibilities).

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 08:37:57 AM »
One of my all time favorite driver comments was back in the early 2000's. Toyota really didn't like admitting engine failures. One time when a Toyota expired in a cloud of smoke the team claimed it was an electrical failure. When asked about it later the driver (I think it was Allen McNish but I could be wrong) confirmed that it was an electrical issue. When the connecting rod ripped trough the side of the engine block it knocked the alternator completely off!

The Toyota PR was probably accidental in nearly quoting something Murray Walker said about a Ferrari failure in the mid-1980s. I am 100% sure that Allan was being quite deliberate in quoting the response the Ferrari mechanic gave to that suggestion!
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle