collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 381
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: McLaren link up with BAT  (Read 4195 times)

guest3164

McLaren link up with BAT
« on: February 11, 2019, 11:20:24 AM »
I guess if it is okay for Ferrari, it is fine for McLaren.  I don't like it, however they dress it up, but McLaren have now entered into a globial partnership with British American Tobacco.

https://www.mclaren.com/formula1/partners/british-american-tobacco/mclaren-racing-announces-global-partnership-british-american-tobacco/

Online Dare

Re: McLaren link up with BAT
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 01:15:03 PM »
No bucks no Buck Rogers. Hope the money helps
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 03:04:28 PM »
Still pushing nicotine?

Pass.

Hope McLaren ends up in the ditch.

Offline Calman

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 04:38:29 PM »
Zak had nothing to do with it!!  ::)

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 05:58:42 PM »
Now that it’s legal in Canada, maybe one of the big weed manufacturers will jump on board the new Stroll-mobile.
 8)
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Calman

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 06:58:37 PM »
Now that it’s legal in Canada, maybe one of the big weed manufacturers will jump on board the new Stroll-mobile.
 8)

How about Cana-Bistro-ll .... see what I did there!  :D

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 09:06:20 PM »
I wonder how long it will take the EU to jump on this. McLaren's not even trying to hide the fact...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

guest3164

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 09:16:08 PM »
I wonder how long it will take the EU to jump on this. McLaren's not even trying to hide the fact...

Just long enough for the country to have fallen out of the EU and no longer be tied to their law probably  :fool:  :fool:

Seriously though, I hope quickly.  This whole thing flies in the face of the tobacco advertising ban and I apply this to Ferrari as well. 

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 03:02:43 PM »
 8)

No can do.  Anyone associated with a cannabis company is barred entry to the USA.  Even if they take the advertising off the car, they wouldn't be allowed to race in the USGP.

So many political things to say here, very hard to keep things on (racing) point!

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 03:16:10 PM »
I was kinda teasing, but I know you are right.  The American legal weed industry can't even bank their revenue because the banks would lose their license to operate by the Feds even though it is a completely legal business in the 'enlightened' states that allow it.  They have to vault the money and the employees are paid in cash...just like the old days  :fool:

I imagine the next administration will put down the gloves and just allow it across the country.  The funniest thing is that they talk about all the drugs coming across from the southern border, yet it's still illegal in Mexico.  Meanwhile underground railways are being set up across the largest unprotected border in the world - to Canada.  Hilarious.

Offline Irisado

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2019, 11:43:11 AM »
I am not at all happy about Ferrari and McLaren trying to evade the law in this way.  It needs to be stopped.  I thought that Formula 1 had seen the back of tobacco advertising.  For me, it was one of the most positive advances in Formula 1 in the twenty-first century.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2019, 01:31:43 PM »
I'm not happy with governments that pat themselves on the back for restricting advertising and point of sale on tobacco, but are quite happy to keep taking huge revenues from it in tax.

Oh and bye the way, in Britain, use that money for general taxation whilst whingeing about how much smokers cost the health service.

If it's that bad for all of us make it illegal and only available on private prescription for hopeless addicts.
I was a smoker but gave up for reasons of cost, I'm not against smoking per se but rather have issues with the hypocrisy that surrounds it's regulation and taxes.     
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2019, 04:59:44 PM »
If cost was what made you give it up, then it seems their strategy worked perfectly to get the cheap old farts (who probably don’t pay enough tax anyway  :P :P) off the weed.  I gave it up to move to a healthier lifestyle.

As for the advertising and point of sale restrictions, it has nothing to do with people who already smoke, but to prevent the next generation to be quite so tempted.  It has had a positive impact in Canada, which is about a decade ahead of most European countries. 

The number of youth reporting to have never smoked increased from about 70% to 86% from 2000-2010 and trends suggest it will be well into the 90’s by the end of this decade.  This was accomplished through Restrictive advertising and blind point of sales (every tobacco product hidden from view), education and positive peer pressure (my cousin’s son recently said at his school it is truly only the very “un-cool” who smoke). 

Discussions about how governments spend their tax dollars is for another thread, but luxury taxes are as old as tax, and if it means you pay less somewhere else for the same level of government service, where is the problem?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 05:25:15 PM by Scott »

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 02:20:45 AM »
If cost was what made you give it up, then it seems their strategy worked perfectly to get the cheap old farts (who probably don’t pay enough tax anyway  :P :P) off the weed.  I gave it up to move to a healthier lifestyle.

As for the advertising and point of sale restrictions, it has nothing to do with people who already smoke, but to prevent the next generation to be quite so tempted.  It has had a positive impact in Canada, which is about a decade ahead of most European countries. 

The number of youth reporting to have never smoked increased from about 70% to 86% from 2000-2010 and trends suggest it will be well into the 90’s by the end of this decade.  This was accomplished through Restrictive advertising and blind point of sales (every tobacco product hidden from view), education and positive peer pressure (my cousin’s son recently said at his school it is truly only the very “un-cool” who smoke). 

Discussions about how governments spend their tax dollars is for another thread, but luxury taxes are as old as tax, and if it means you pay less somewhere else for the same level of government service, where is the problem?

The proportion of high school kids who 'vape' is much higher than the number of smokers there were when I was in high school.  It's a scourge even though it's supposed to be illegal for kids.  Vaping is what BAT and Mission Winnow are pushing.  It's still a nicotine delivery device, without the advantage of actually creating local jobs like tobacco did.

Online Dare

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2019, 03:00:00 AM »
Bad thing about Vape is it hasn't been around long enough
to see how bad it rally is. Could be worse than cigs. I'm with John,
I'm a old foggy that quit smoking because of cost not that it
was slowly killing me.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle