collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 310
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Ban F1 Team Privacy Screens!  (Read 1449 times)

Offline Calman

Ban F1 Team Privacy Screens!
« on: February 26, 2019, 11:55:52 PM »
This gets my vote 100%

That's about all you can say about that ... 100% stupid.

Discuss ...

Best Regards,
Cal :)

Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Ban F1 Team Privacy Screens!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 12:21:25 AM »
Not practical. All the teams have proprietary tech the don't want out in the open. I have to say though, in 1978 or '79 when we went to the US GP at the Glen, all the teams were crowded into a large Quonset hut cheek by jowl. They were desperate to cover the secret stuff. Likewise at Long Beach, they were all in the main hall of the convention center, no privacy there either.   :DntKnw:
Lonny

Offline Calman

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 01:36:32 AM »
Okay, so maybe they have their place in limited situations, but some of the footage from testing was laughable - particularly when the Ferrari stopped in the pit box and they raced out with the privacy screens (mainly blocking the front/back of the car) ... while photographers and most people around the world have already seen close up footage of ever angle of the car.

At least drop it in testing and limit it's use during race weekends.  If a car has to be stripped down to some degree, then I warrant it in those situations, but a lot of the time, it's just a bit "over protective!".

Best Regards,

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 01:15:07 PM »
From the teams perspective Cal I'd think testing is more important to cover up than at races.

I see their argument as running something like this:- All sorts of bits and bobs are tried out on cars in testing, some work some don't.
However by allowing everyone total access to see everything means other teams - particularly the bigger better funded ones -  can more easily corelate lap times with certain added goodies finding out how effective they are almost as quickly as the team themselves.
Sometimes the whole point of running some extra little fins, under floor tricks, or even big funny shaped wings, is to try to lure the opposition in spending time & resource investigating a red herring.

They may not be able to slow down a faster car, but they just might succeed in slowing it's development further.  ;)
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 06:04:26 AM »
Privacy screens are banned in most circumstances in WEC (to enable visual inspections of "overview" compliance with certain rules and also to help the public see what is happening), but even they're allowed full use of them in testing, so I'm not surprised they also are used this way in F1.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Calman

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 06:09:19 AM »
Maybe from my own perspective, it's not so much the privacy issue in itself, but more the methods of secrecy.  Oh well, sure it won't be long now, before Seb & Lewis have a "squint" at each others cars after the chequered flag.

Best Regards,

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle