collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 350
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: F1 cars will be lapping slower this season  (Read 6792 times)

Offline Jericoke

Re: F1 cars will be lapping slower this season
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2019, 03:14:41 PM »
NASCAR super speedways are really not a proper venue for Indy Cars. Just too fast. The centrifugal force causes those blackouts. Milwaukee's flat mile is much more interesting to me.

Milwaukee Mile is my favourite race, any series, any track type.  It's just insane!  I loved the CART racing there, a nice antidote to the sprawling Indy 500.

NASCAR racing there is surreal, it looks like bumper to bumper rush hour traffic going in a circle at 200 mph.  There is no room for error, and a tremendous amount of trust with your fellow drivers is a must.

guest3164

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2019, 06:30:20 PM »
Milwaukee Mile is my favourite race, any series, any track type.  It's just insane!  I loved the CART racing there, a nice antidote to the sprawling Indy 500.

NASCAR racing there is surreal, it looks like bumper to bumper rush hour traffic going in a circle at 200 mph.  There is no room for error, and a tremendous amount of trust with your fellow drivers is a must.

Trust in your fellow drivers? 

I know someone who would fit right in  ;)

Offline Calman

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2019, 06:35:07 PM »
Max would be complaining on the radio ... "Why did you put me back out into traffic? ... it's bumper to bumper out here .. and can you ask the other teams to speed up!!! ... somebody HIT ME, I mean, C'mon!!!!!!!!".

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

guest3164

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2019, 06:38:01 PM »
Calman, you have it all wrong! 

Max would not make it past the first corner without an enormous collision! 

Offline Calman

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2019, 06:45:34 PM »
True.  I can envision him trying to explain away a 50 car pile up to Dr Marko!  :o

Best Regards,

guest3164

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2019, 07:44:07 PM »
Dr Marko would probably blame Kvyat.  Even if Kvyat was 5000 miles away.

Offline Calman

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2019, 07:49:47 PM »
.. that's a bit far fetched, although I could realistically accept 4,998 miles away!!  :D

It will be interesting with Gasly in 2019.   Maybe he will become the new golden boy at RBR and Max will receive the treatment his teammates were familiar with!?!? ... but I doubt it.

Best Regards,

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2019, 10:13:17 PM »
Gasly's already in the doghouse after wrecking tha test car. Cost them valuable time.
Lonny

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2019, 06:24:41 AM »
I'm not convinced Max would fit in. He doesn't trust drivers who follow the rules, to the extent that he's willing to punch them, and his driving is so untrustworthy that he'd soon be getting swiped by the regulars. (He wouldn't mind the punches so much if he ever understood why he was getting hit).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Calman

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2019, 06:49:34 AM »
He doesn't trust drivers who follow the rules, to the extent that he's willing to punch them...

I think F1 needs to recruit a future driver from the toughest parts of Glasgow, London, Texas or Cape Town ... (to name a few) ... then see if Max wants to use his hands (it could be his last).

Best Regards,

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2019, 08:36:49 AM »
Max's confrontational attitude looks like a inherited trait from his father. Jos is a well documented brawler, might be hard for Max to make the change now, even if he wants too.  :(
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2019, 02:51:57 PM »
I think there are any number of drivers on the grid who are easily capable of putting Max on his butt, but I think there may only be one or two who would actually take the swing. 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2019, 05:21:56 PM »
I think there are any number of drivers on the grid who are easily capable of putting Max on his butt, but I think there may only be one or two who would actually take the swing.

As a hockey fan, it's always painful watching athletes from non contact sports 'fight'.  Baseball and Basketball are pretty bad.  NASCAR was great, the sport was (and I say this with love) founded by thugs.  They really knew how to handle themselves.

I agree that some F1 drivers might have that ability, but it's more likely to see some tai chi break out.

Offline Calman

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2019, 08:36:35 PM »
Speaking of Hockey, I now get the quote "I went to watch a fight and a Hockey match broke out!"  ... I don't follow Hockey, even after living 16 years in Western Canada, but at least I get the "jab" nowadays, well, have done for a good few years.

I guess the parallel is, back in Scotland, a mate would always be sitting in the pub or armchair at home watching Fitbae!! ... here, it's typically a neighbour in the garage, tinkering with his Quad, Hunting Gear or Chainsaw, watching Hockey on a wall mounted portable TV.

Best Regards,

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2019, 05:41:39 PM »
Speaking of Hockey, I now get the quote "I went to watch a fight and a Hockey match broke out!"  ... I don't follow Hockey, even after living 16 years in Western Canada, but at least I get the "jab" nowadays, well, have done for a good few years.

I guess the parallel is, back in Scotland, a mate would always be sitting in the pub or armchair at home watching Fitbae!! ... here, it's typically a neighbour in the garage, tinkering with his Quad, Hunting Gear or Chainsaw, watching Hockey on a wall mounted portable TV.

Best Regards,

Hockey has always been a 'tough' sport.  The speed of playing on ice skates always injects a lot of energy and emotions can get ratcheted up very quickly.

In the 1970s the NHL went from 6 teams to 18 teams, plus a competing professional league with another 12 or so teams.  There weren't enough high calibre players to flesh out 30 teams, so there were players who would focus on a single skill and hope that was enough.  Many players chose physical intimidation as their single skill, and the Philadelphia Flyers built their entire team around the philosophy that if you could 'beat them in the alley you could beat them on the ice'.  They would get the biggest, strongest meanest players, and the opposing team would spend the game worried about being hurt (imagine racing between Max and Grosjean for 70 laps) and couldn't focus on playing hockey.  The flyers won 2 championships with that strategy, and other teams adapted their strategy to match:  all the teams tried to be the biggest, strongest, baddest team on skates.

Then Wayne Gretzky, a comparitive pipsqueak, comes along and shatters all the scoring records and the game has generally trended away from fighting ever since.  In the 1970s a single normal game might have 5 fights.  Now a championship team might have 5 total fights over an 82 game season.

As a hockey fan, I like that fights are rare, they feel more special now, like they mean something as part of the game.

They're still better than watching Max flail around.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle