collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 439
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: First round of testing is done... so who's going to win 2019?  (Read 3564 times)

Offline Jericoke

First round of testing is done... so who's going to win 2019?
« on: February 22, 2019, 08:41:03 PM »
If I were a betting girl (which I'm not), I'd have to say Vettel and Ferrari are on a lock for the WDC/WCC.

Of course, we saw last year that having the best equipment doesn't always translate to results.  We've also seen from the past that Vettel doesn't always do well when he has an 'equal' teammate.  LeClerc would have an excellent shot at the championship as a result.  Or they might find themselves with enough turmoil to let Mercedes or Red Bull get a run up the middle.

Naturally my 'dream' winner is Kimi in the Alfa Romeo. When he signed in 2018, that didn't seem feasible.  Now though, while I don't really expect it to happen, it wouldn't be a huge surprise.

guest3164

Re: First round of testing is done... so who's going to win 2019?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 08:46:00 PM »
Well, given I am now less certain it will be Williams, I still do not see past Mercedes.  They have proven in the last few years that they can overcome a deficit and win.  Ferrari might be faster now, but Mercedes will make good on that enough to at some point cause Vettel to have brain fade.  Sadly for Leclerc I was only just reading how Binotto has pretty much admitted Vettel starts the season as number 1 driver and will be favoured as a result.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 08:59:48 PM »
I doubt that we've seen the true potential of the top tier cars yet. They were more interested in actual testing of different setups than in setting impressive laps.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 09:24:02 PM »
Agreed. Mercedes is the team to beat. Lewis is much better under pressure than Vettel. Unless the Ferrari is much better than the Merc that will be the difference.
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 10:10:03 PM »
I'm remembering testing in 2018 when Merc looked unassailable again, but blow me come the first races and it was Ferrari romping away with the wins. That's how much we can tell from testing, especially early testing.

Having said that the commentators do seem convinced that both Ferrari and Red Bull have the legs on Merc in the long run scenarios. they are pulling more consistent lower times than Merc over 15 to 20 lap runs. Obviously Honda power is still suspect in full race mode.

Still not sure if anyone else can challenge the top 3, Renault and Alfa seem best of rest at present; McLaren, STR and Haas look like the next tier - order to be decided.

Leaving both Williams, for the clearly obvious reason, and Racing point, for the historic lack of development & parts, to get their acts together as currently they look like back markers.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Dare

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 11:49:27 PM »
Ferrari will excel till the break and then Mercedes will
blow them away.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 08:46:21 AM »
I think Ferrari and Mercedes will both plausibly fight for the title, and it will be a Hamilton/Vettel duel (which makes me think Hamilton will win again, as Vettel is not Rosberg). The rest will be nowhere in comparison.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 03:37:32 PM »
Reluctant to pick a winner, there are a few things I would like to see this year.

Any number of Alfa finishes ahead of Ferrari.

DR’s Renault pass and pull away from Max’s RBR...Crowning glory would be to put it a lap down on more than one occasion.

Leclerc drive Vettel bananas by easily matching his speed and grinning about it at post race interviews while Vettel digs out excuses.

Ok....I would like the WDC to be either of the Ferrari’s...don’t really care which one.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Alonsofan

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 08:05:57 AM »
Reluctant to pick a winner, there are a few things I would like to see this year.

Any number of Alfa finishes ahead of Ferrari.

DR’s Renault pass and pull away from Max’s RBR...Crowning glory would be to put it a lap down on more than one occasion.

Leclerc drive Vettel bananas by easily matching his speed and grinning about it at post race interviews while Vettel digs out excuses.

Ok....I would like the WDC to be either of the Ferrari’s...don’t really care which one.

That was all going so well until your last paragraph. What do you mean either Ferrari?? There is only one who has a chance, the other is just his blocker car.
To be honest you can't read anything into testing other than Williams seem to be in trouble and possibly Haas have a few niggles.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2019, 04:04:30 PM »
I'm hoping that Haas might receive a visitor or two from Maranello. I'm sure that the visit won't have anything to do with the electrical gremlins.  ::)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2019, 07:46:03 PM »

That was all going so well until your last paragraph. What do you mean either Ferrari?? There is only one who has a chance, the other is just his blocker car.
To be honest you can't read anything into testing other than Williams seem to be in trouble and possibly Haas have a few niggles.

Either driver...I want Ferrari to take it from Merc this year and I think they have the best chance than any other team. 

I don’t think anyone here is naive enough to read very much into testing aside from reliability.

Offline Alonsofan

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2019, 08:08:52 PM »
I didn't think anyone on here was naive enough to think that Ferrari will not favour Vettel  :o

If any Ferrari driver wins the WDC it will only ever be Vettel  :sick:

Offline Calman

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2019, 08:26:44 PM »
It's simple folks ... that Beautiful Yellow and Black car will win the title in 2019!!

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Alonsofan

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2019, 08:33:12 PM »
Is that a sneak peek of Williams developments to improve their car for this year?  ;)

Offline Scott

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2019, 12:34:56 AM »
I didn't think anyone on here was naive enough to think that Ferrari will not favour Vettel  :o

If any Ferrari driver wins the WDC it will only ever be Vettel  :sick:

I’m not so sure.  Ferrari has historically been much more interested in the WCC than the WDC.  It will have more to do with mathematical chances after mid season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle