collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 347
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Sounds Behind the Wheel? ...  (Read 7399 times)

Offline Calman

Sounds Behind the Wheel? ...
« on: February 28, 2019, 04:56:04 AM »
I heard a song earlier and it clearly reminded me of a time where I liked a "good kicky" track on the car stereo (while driving at a conservative 10 miles under the posted speed limit - YEAH RIGHT!!!).

So, what classic tracks (or any for that matter) ... did you enjoy blasting down a straight road (or curly one) with the sounds cranked up?

WARNING:  This could potentially expose some of our bad tastes in music, but what the heck eh?

Best Regards,
Cal :)

Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Calman

Re: Sounds Behind the Wheel? ...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 05:03:14 AM »
This was a clear favourite on my track list!!

Best Regards,

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 02:22:05 PM »
Early 70s I had to make a run once a week at around 3.30 to 5 am from Diss, Norfolk to Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire returning from a print works to my home.

The journey was done for a year in a Vauxhall VX4/90 FB then they upgraded me to a Datsun 120Y Sunny - oh joy I could now max out at 83 instead of 79 mph with foot flat on the long open stretches between Diss to Thetford, Newmarket & then through Six Mile Bottom.... Yeah Honest!  :D

Radio was out of the question as all the stations shut down before midnight so I managed to get my hands on an 8 track player and could blast out this track on loop from the album to keep me awake.
2 reasons for liking it:- it's great to sing along to at the top of your lungs - and best of all it's 9 mins long.  ;)  :P

« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 02:28:49 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Alonsofan

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 06:57:16 PM »
For me this song gives me happy memories of flooring it...I mean sticking to the speed limits in a car hehe
Are you ready....turn it up loud...

Offline Calman

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 07:36:23 PM »
That's It!!!! ... you've produced an early 70's rock classic, to a remix of Don Henley's 84 classic, 'The Boys of Summer' .. so I need to find my keys and drive my 600bhp muscle car down a highway somewhere in the midnight heat.   Okay, wake up, it's a Ford Explorer with Idle issues, you can't drive very fast on this side of the pond, it's freezing and currently snowing outside, so .... >>> insert LP needle scratch <<< ... and start singing "Memories" ... well, you know what I mean.

I remember a drive up to Aviemore (North of Scotland) back in the late 90's ... "work mates lads weekend" and these two songs were requested again, and again, and again, and again.  Funny enough, I began to like them, while behind the wheel, who knew??? ... and we are talking about loooong straight roads with nothing around you, yes, the speeds touched 3 digits at times (until a German family in a black Volvo overtook us) .... I'm sure a couple of guys in the car wet themselves, while laughing uncontrollably!!

Nevertheless, great days!!

Best Regards,

Offline Alonsofan

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 08:29:21 PM »
Number 2 classic song :good: classic movie  :good:

It was funny when Top Gun got the Paddy McGuinness and Keith Lemon treatment hehe At least in their version Goose didn't die  :yahoo:

guest3164

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 09:17:57 PM »
When I drove I just stuck on whatever random playlist I had on my iPod.  However it usually had Buck Rogers by Feeder on it and given the song has the section of lyrics below, I think it is a great driving song:

He's got a brand new car, looks like a Jaguar, it's got leather seats, it's got a CD player

Things did get weird when it talked about drinking cider from a lemon, however.

Offline Alonsofan

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 09:40:21 PM »
Liking your choice there Luke  :good:
It reminds me of Gran Turismo 3 on the PS2.
I guess nowadays it goes more like this for you.....

Hehe sorry about the speedy version, I think Mr Fletcher has gone hyper hehe

Offline Calman

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 09:56:00 PM »
Not sure if your video is behind a permissions wall Alonsofan, but it no worko (even tried direct in YT).  You broke it, didn't ya?? .. can't let you near anything precious!! *hands on hips*.

Are any of us sad enough or brave enough to admit driving to a TV car prog/show theme?? ... you know, Dukes of Hazard, Knight Rider, Miami Vice, Need for Speed ... that level of embarrassment!!!  :-[

Just to jog your memory ...

Best Regards,

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 11:56:40 PM »
My buddy Dave and I used to make the Phoenix to LA run about once a month, a very long time ago. Dave was a metal fan so our sound track was sort of Deep Black and Blue Floyd. It featured stuff like this.

Lonny

Offline Calman

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2019, 01:09:27 AM »
Awesome selections there lkj!!!!

I still fight with my thoughts on Floyd's best solo guitar segment track, where obviously, Comfortably Numb is clearly in my top 3.  Yet Another Movie ... Sorrow ... On The Turning Away could arguably make my top 3 also?

Best Regards,

Offline Calman

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2019, 05:25:39 AM »
I just remembered this "lightweight little song".

It was one of the first tracks I played in my first "almost brand new ex-demo" car back in Scotland, so driving around the local area in the summer of 1996, well, it was an appropriate track in so many ways!!!

Best Regards,

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2019, 12:35:58 PM »
Two more songs that I love to play full volume whilst cruising them highroads. - Warning 1st vid V Loud!

« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 02:45:43 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Calman

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2019, 05:30:14 PM »
Funny that you should post a video of The Boss ... as I was thinking about posting this one yesterday (as I have been known to listen to this track behind the wheel in recent years!).

Best Regards,

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2019, 05:52:54 PM »
This album got a lot of time in my car. This has got to be the most widely misunderstood song of all time.

Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle