collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 354
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: F1 cars will be lapping slower this season  (Read 6793 times)

Offline Calman

Re: F1 cars will be lapping slower this season
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2019, 07:48:13 PM »
The thing I don't get, is why referee's just stand back and let them punch the heck out of each other, before stepping in.  With any other contact sport, they would be red carded, sent off or heavily disciplined for those type of antics.  I'm sure there are reasons, but it still baffles me, when I see clips on local news - a bar brawl on ice!!  :D

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2019, 11:06:16 AM »
The thing I don't get, is why referee's just stand back and let them punch the heck out of each other, before stepping in.  With any other contact sport, they would be red carded, sent off or heavily disciplined for those type of antics.  I'm sure there are reasons, but it still baffles me, when I see clips on local news - a bar brawl on ice!!  :D

Best Regards,
Cal :)

There's two reasons the linesmen let the players fight.

1)  It's part of the show.  Fans enjoy it, so they let it go.

2)  The players aren't trained fighters, they don't have the stamina to go for 10 rounds.  The fights last about 30 seconds by which time both combatants are exhausted and very easy to over power as the adrenaline fades.

You're right, minor hockey still has way more fighting than top professional leagues.  Players at a lower skill feel that they can make their mark by terrifying opponents through physical force.  As long as officials let players get away with this reckless behaviour, it will continue.  (Hmmm, sound like any Dutch F1 racers we know?)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2019, 11:40:06 AM »
There's also the point that the Ice Hockey combatants are wearing padding or protective outfits so a minute or 2 bashing each other seldom results in bad injury. Very different to letting Rugger, Football(soccer),  Baseball, Basketball or field Hockey players go at it.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 11:43:09 AM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2019, 06:36:24 PM »
There's also the point that the Ice Hockey combatants are wearing padding or protective outfits so a minute or 2 bashing each other seldom results in bad injury. Very different to letting Rugger, Football(soccer),  Baseball, Basketball or field Hockey players go at it.

It is customary to remove your helmet and gloves before the fight begins. In fact "drop your gloves" means "fight" in Canadian.

Someone who attempts to fight with his helmet on is forever branded a coward. Claude Lemieux (no relation to Mario) and Sean Avery are two of the greatest villains in Canadian history for doing that.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2019, 09:39:50 AM »
Max's confrontational attitude looks like a inherited trait from his father. Jos is a well documented brawler, might be hard for Max to make the change now, even if he wants too.  :(

Especially since Red Bull encourages the attitude (if not so openly the actions) of a brawler, and the FIA doesn't exactly discourage it, for all its pretty words.

I suspect Esteban could have given Max something to give about if he thought there would have been any point... ...and Kevin, Kimi or possibly Seb would have had him out cold had they believed the effort worthwhile. (Lewis, it depends what mood he was in that day). However, for all Max's attitude, I don't think he punches that hard, so probably all of them would simply have let the FIA deal with such pathetic punchers. (Had this been Kevin v Kimi, in either direction, retaliation might have happened, and I get the vibe that specific fight wouldn't look pathethic).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle