collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 366
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Lowe takes ‘leave of absence’ from Williams  (Read 2736 times)

Offline Monty

Lowe takes ‘leave of absence’ from Williams
« on: March 07, 2019, 09:16:47 AM »
Is this an admission that he (and therefore Williams) have got it all wrong again, or does he genuinely have some other problem.
I feared that he wasn't really good enough (Mercedes let him go too easily and nobody ever said that he was a great loss) but, because I love Williams, I really wanted him to succeed!
I do not wish him ill but I really hope that he is standing down for some external reason and not because he has overseen another Williams failure!

Offline Calman

Re: Lowe takes ‘leave of absence’ from Williams
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 04:32:14 PM »
I personally feel that it all boils down to the level of hard work Paddy put in at Williams, with no results to show for it .. and the pressure by fans/media for him to step down, is ultimately the reason he is at this point now.  Like others, I sincerely hope it's not coinciding with some kind of health issue, but I think it's purely business sense?

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Alonsofan

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 05:23:53 PM »
Maybe he just isn't cut out for the job  :DntKnw:

guest3164

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 06:24:58 PM »
I had exceptionally high hopes for Paddy Lowe and unfortunately all that has happened is under his leadership the team went from 6th to plum last and it looks like more of the same this season.  Getting a car late to testing doesn't build confidence either.  Other people blame Claire Williams, she is just the person who appoints those who build the car and I feel she has done a good job, she has certainly appointed those who you would think would be the right people.

Maybe the team needs a hard reset now. 

If anyone at Williams is reading...  I'm available!  And I would work for half of Paddy's salary.  ;)

Offline Calman

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 06:50:37 PM »
From what I've seen and read over the years, Paddy always struck me as a very decent, quiet & respectable individual, so this outcome at a fragile time for Williams, well, it's very unfortunate.  It doesn't seem that long ago since Bottas joined Williams alongside Massa - at a point where Williams were frequently challenging for podium results.

Best Regards,

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 03:06:09 PM »
This will hurt Williams entire brand - Williams Advanced Engineering as well.  Doesn't sit very well if the company you are considering for your next project is struggling with engineering issues in F1.

I believe Williams needs to either close down, or sell - at least partially to a partner, or go to the banks and re-mortgage the whole entity and get the money to attract the absolute top talent. 

Ditch the pay drivers, hire a top Tech Director(probably Symonds, as he is the only experienced Tech Director available at the moment), and give him/them the time and resources to work out of the slump, probably at least a year if not two.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

guest3164

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 04:11:23 PM »
Symonds wouldn't be able to come back to Williams immediately though.  The other teams would go mad as he works for Brawn's posse of engineers so would give the team a potential heads up as to what is coming in the next set of technical regulations. 

Also, technically Williams only has one pay driver this year, and give it's Kubica it is not 'quite' the usual breed.  Russell deserves to be in F1 on merit.

Offline Calman

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 08:40:00 PM »
Yes, you could emphasize Williams = Pay Drivers, when Stroll & Sirotkin were in the cockpit with their pots of money/sponsorship backing, but not this season with Robert & George.

Best Regards,

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 04:15:22 PM »
I thought Russell was bringing Merc money or some engine deal reduction, but I could be wrong.  However Kubica brings $25m in sponsorship with PKN ORLEN.  You can play games with the financial columns, but that is a pay driver in my opinion.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

guest3164

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 05:47:24 PM »
I do not doubt Kubica is a pay driver, but I will argue he is not in the same bracket as Maldonado, Stroll or Sirotkin. 

Russell may bring Merc 'perks' but could you seriously argue against the F2 Champion being in F1 this year?  He is a proper talent. 

Offline Calman

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2019, 02:59:42 AM »
In my opinion, a genuine "Pay Driver" suggests someone who is in a team with sponsorship backing & other pots of cash padding their placement, while being able to keep the car on the black stuff and little more.

Otherwise, of course there is typical sponsorship and money surrounding traditional talents in F1, but they are in a team due to talent first, everything else second.  So, in that comparison, both Russell & Kubica are sitting in a Williams car for the right reasons (regardless of the teams current woes).  I guess you could say "they are there on merit" .. as the old phrase goes!

Best Regards,

Offline Willy

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 01:20:38 PM »
I feel the true issue with Williams is right at the top. Claire has to step down and let someone else take the reins.
She does not have the tools to ignite passion in her team. Have you heard her teams speeches?
She is in a position that has to inspire the entire staff and she has no idea how to do that. Frank had it but Frank is not that guy anymore. Williams needs to find that guy (or girl) and let them lead.

Offline Monty

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 02:25:00 PM »
I feel the true issue with Williams is right at the top. Claire has to step down and let someone else take the reins.
She does not have the tools to ignite passion in her team. Have you heard her teams speeches?
She is in a position that has to inspire the entire staff and she has no idea how to do that. Frank had it but Frank is not that guy anymore. Williams needs to find that guy (or girl) and let them lead.
I'm not sure that I agree. The point is, Claire isn't 'at the top' - she is deputy team principle. Frank is 'at the top' and I feel he lost direction years ago when he started to resent his drivers when they started to get recognition (this goes back as far as Mansell and Hill). The team needs a few things; mostly money. But after money they need a brilliant designer. I know animals such as 'Newey' are incredibly rare but it has been the Newey's and the Head's that made small teams exceptional, not the team principles.

guest3164

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 02:32:04 PM »
I think Claire has done a decent job for the most part, I don't blame her for this situation.  The Technical Director is the person who should be inspiring the mechanics and keeping a hand on that side of the team.  Claire in my mind is more commercially inclined and has done fairly well on that side, especially given the performance level of the team in recent seasons. 

I would like to have Pay Symonds back and maybe take a punt on some young designer as Monty says.  Paddy for whatever reason has overseen the team go from 5th to 10th and this season look even further off the pace.  Regardless of the engineers involvement, that is on him.  Until the car is sorted, there is zero point going after established drivers, none at all.  You will not get a decent, tested driver racing for the team at the back of the grid.  That is why the team has punted on Russell (no risk) and Kubica (some risk, but at least he has experience).   

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 06:29:07 AM »
According to Dieter Rencken, who recently asked his sources at Williams about this, Frank Williams takes a great interest in proceedings but no longer has any authority at the team - when he gets involved, it's to help advise Claire or motivate a staff member who asks him for it. Though apparently the fact he more or less lives at the factory is itself motivating to the staff, who regardless of their feelings about Williams' current travails, admire him hugely.

I get the impression there has been something of a middle management collapse at Williams, and Paddy Lowe is better-suited to running things in a matrixed team such as Mercedes (or McLaren) rather than the sort of traditional linear leadership of Williams (or Red Bull, Racing Point or Alfa Romeo). My guess is that at Williams, he could have handled junior leadership (governing a few people, who he could meet personally) rather than handling layers of vertical management beneath him (which is what happens at the top of traditional teams). What the hiring people missed is that Paddy would not have learned the full set of skills needed at a traditional team (regardless of its championship position) at a matrixed team, even if said matrix won the championship.

The issue is with whoever did the hiring. Now, I'm sure Claire approved the choice of the hiring managers, but I don't know whether she does it personally or if she delegates that job. If it's the latter, she needs to have different people, more knowledgeable in the differences between teams, doing it. (I heard her brother Jonathan feels a bit sidelined in his current position. Perhaps having him check over all potential hires might be a good move, as I think he has some relevant knowledge if I recall correctly, and he certainly cares about the details). Maybe even make herself one of the hiring managers, if that helps keep her in the loop as to potential trouble and actions she may need to take to counter this. (An experienced Williams manager mentoring Paddy as to the differences between teams seems like something that should have happened and didn't).

If Claire is one of the hiring managers...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle