collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 326
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Thoughts on the Australian GP  (Read 4723 times)

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Thoughts on the Australian GP
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2019, 07:15:37 PM »
Anyone see/hear where Lewis damaged his floor? I hears Merc is saying his lack of pace relative to Bottas was due to a damaged floor.
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2019, 07:27:28 PM »
Must be the same place Kubica lost half his front wing alongside Sainz.  :D
Don't recall any mention during race coverage of Robert and Carlos coming together, but according to Williams it happened. Hey that might explain McLaren's problem with the car if summat got shook lose in that get together. 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

guest3164

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2019, 07:42:00 PM »
I just assumed it was from him stamping his foot like toddler when he saw Bottas overtake him at the start.

Offline Calman

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2019, 07:55:50 PM »
I hears Merc is saying his lack of pace relative to Bottas was due to a damaged floor.
... but of course, what else could be the explanation for the almighty Hammy being beaten in the sister car???  :D

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2019, 09:16:34 PM »
No honest gov there really was a bit of the floor missing at the end, there's at least one photo out there showing somethings wrong.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2019, 12:39:23 AM »
I hears Merc is saying his lack of pace relative to Bottas was due to a damaged floor.
... but of course, what else could be the explanation for the almighty Hammy being beaten in the sister car???  :D

Best Regards,

It does explain why Hamilton didn't seem pouty about his second place.

Getting podium with a wounded car is a much more difficult feat than winning with a dominant car.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2019, 04:25:14 AM »
Lewis is also saying that the new aero rules have not helped in passing other cars. It did not seem to me to have made any difference, at least in OZ. We'll see if Bahrain is better.
Lonny

Online Jericoke

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2019, 02:26:08 PM »
Lewis is also saying that the new aero rules have not helped in passing other cars. It did not seem to me to have made any difference, at least in OZ. We'll see if Bahrain is better.

They need to find a better way to express the rules.  They have all sorts of finicky regulations about what can go where, when the goal is to minimize the wake of the car.  Why not bring a portable wind tunnel to scrutineering, check the wake of the car and let them do whatever they want, as long as the wake is neutral?

Offline Calman

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2019, 03:41:21 PM »
I think that's a premature evaluation.  Until we have covered a decent range in track configurations, I am not yet convinced whether the simpler front wings/higher rear wings and everything in between is helping/hindering following/overtaking on track!!

The only real struggle in Melbourne, was Gasly trying to pass Kvyat, but let's see how things are in the next 2-3 races first.

Best Regards,
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2019, 04:03:42 PM »

The only real struggle in Melbourne, was Gasly trying to pass Kvyat, but let's see how things are in the next 2-3 races first.

I guess that just proves that cars can follow each other as that whole train in front of Kvyat/Gasly was getting DRS most of the time. Cars in this train were neutralising each other.
With equal engine power how was one Honda going to pass the other.

Melbourne has fairly short DRS runs in comparison to other tracks so I'll reserve judgement til a few races in. 

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2019, 05:05:05 PM »
I didn't see the pre-race. I watched an on-line replay. I hope it's better by Bahrain.

ESPN had a really odd thing during the practice sessions. A blue screen would come up with a Sky TV logo, a lot of broadcasting technical info and a large clock like graphic. It would be on of several minutes while the audio content continued in the background. Then the regular feed would resume. I thought it might be when Sky was running adverts.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2019, 06:35:36 PM »
Can confirm Cos that Sky run adverts during practice sessions, they don't in the actual race itself though.

Offline lkjohnson1950

Lonny

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2019, 12:22:57 AM »
French media apparently had photos of Merc mechanics working on the section of floor that broke prior to the race. They don't know if they were making a repair or an aero adjustment. The Team blames hitting the curbs for the damage.

https://www.racefans.net/2019/03/21/analysis-the-impact-of-hamiltons-broken-floor-and-mercedes-other-melbourne-upgrades/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+f1fanatic+%28RaceFans+-+Independent+Motorsport+Coverage%29
Lonny

Offline lkjohnson1950

Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle