collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 617
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Are new F1 teams looking hard at 2021 new deal and regs?  (Read 3550 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Are new F1 teams looking hard at 2021 new deal and regs?
« on: March 26, 2019, 01:14:03 PM »
Quite possibly is the answer from Glenn and Scott over at Autosport.
They've made a vid detailing outfits that just might want to step up to the mark should budget caps become a reality.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 01:17:09 PM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Alonsofan

Re: Are new F1 teams looking hard at 2021 new deal and regs?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 08:38:31 PM »
An interesting article  :good: I am all for teams such as Audi or Porsche joining F1 just not so keen on the B-Team idea. It's bad enough with Haas and Toro Rosso.

Although more importantly, that moustache  :o I wonder if he sits there all day rolling the ends with a pen hehe  :o

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 07:11:38 PM »
I have no problem with the idea of B teams. I loved it when Super Aguri gave Honda a run for its money using year old Honda equipment.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alonsofan

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 08:13:14 PM »
To me B teams are pointless, it reminds me of being a younger sibling and getting all the crappy hand me downs.
I mean what is the point of being a Ferrari hand me down as they don't even let their second driver compete let alone a B team.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 09:26:02 PM »
Haas seem very happy to be the Ferrari B team.
Lonny

Offline Alonsofan

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 09:59:27 PM »
Haas seem very happy to be the Ferrari B team.

Well, I guess some people settle for second best.

Offline Calman

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 10:12:12 PM »
I just don't like what "B teams" stand for in F1.   Every time it's talked about, the verbal line of "best of the rest" seems pointless.  Of course, we expect a significant gap from the front to the back of the grid, but drawing a line between these teams seems to go against everything which racing should present.

... or is it just me?

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 11:22:56 AM »
It does, but while F1.5 spends between a third and half of the amount spent by the top three teams, it is inevitable. The budget cap proposal does nothing about this but limit the expenditure of smaller teams.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2019, 02:12:59 PM »
I just don't like what "B teams" stand for in F1.   Every time it's talked about, the verbal line of "best of the rest" seems pointless.  Of course, we expect a significant gap from the front to the back of the grid, but drawing a line between these teams seems to go against everything which racing should present.

... or is it just me?

Best Regards,
Cal :)

You have to keep in mind that the 'B' team is created by the economics of the sport.  Haas, Minardi and Sauber simply didn't have the resources to compete with the top teams.  Rather than quit the sport entirely, they got help from teams who do have the resources to compete.

If anyone else  was interested in supporting these teams as full fledged F1 teams, then there would be no need for 'B' teams.  Instead, Red Bull and Ferrari recognize that propping up struggling teams is the ONLY way for Formula One to exist in its current format.

If we want to eliminate the B teams, we need to either find people who are willing to spend Ferrari amounts of money in the sport.  Given there aren't any, that won't work. 

The other option is to eliminate 'Ferrari amounts of money' from the sport.  The problem with that is, you risk losing Ferrari.  Half of F1 fans are probably okay with that.  Ferrari and casual fans probably aren't.

(I believe that Haas is a 'B' team out of expediency:  they've seen other teams struggle to do everything all at once and fail.  They decided to buy what they can while the develop the resources to stand on their own two feet.  They're a 'B' team because they weren't arrogant enough to assume they could enter F1 as an 'A' team, but they definitely hope to get there)

Offline Alonsofan

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2019, 02:29:15 PM »
If money was more equally split, maybe more teams could spend Ferrari amounts of money.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2019, 03:41:56 PM »
I think the only way to eliminate B teams in the long run is to provide  an engine supplier like Cosworth, who can supply competitive engines without any favoritism. I have difficulty believing that Ferrari, Mercedes and Renault provide their customers with engines that are in all respects equal to the factory team. It is suspicious to me, that the fastest teams are the teams that manufacture the engines.
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2019, 05:01:54 PM »
I think the only way to eliminate B teams in the long run is to provide  an engine supplier like Cosworth, who can supply competitive engines without any favoritism. I have difficulty believing that Ferrari, Mercedes and Renault provide their customers with engines that are in all respects equal to the factory team. It is suspicious to me, that the fastest teams are the teams that manufacture the engines.

I agree with you that the system we have now is rife with opportunity for cheating, and it would be absurd to assume there isn't any.

I would love for the engine supply to be be 100% independent of the constructors.  However, that throws away the history of the sport, and specifically Ferrari being engine and chassis builders since day 1.

I would rather that teams be required to build their own engines as well as chassis, though recognize that would make the sport far more expensive.  To be honest, I'm a tad surprised that Red Bull hasn't moved towards buying their own engine programme.  There are existing companies and facilities that are capable of making F1 engines that don't.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2019, 06:30:19 AM »
I didn't mean to suggest that Ferrari couldn't build their own engines. I meant that independent teams should have an engine available to them that didn't come from a competitor. One of the most competitive eras in F1 was when Cosworth built a great engine that was available to everyone as near equally as possible.
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2019, 02:18:29 PM »
I didn't mean to suggest that Ferrari couldn't build their own engines. I meant that independent teams should have an engine available to them that didn't come from a competitor. One of the most competitive eras in F1 was when Cosworth built a great engine that was available to everyone as near equally as possible.

So to clarify, Mercedes, Renault and Ferrari could run Merc, Renault and Ferrari engines, but no other teams could?  They would choose from Honda, Cosworth and any other supplier that wants to?

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2019, 07:45:18 PM »
In Ye Olden Tymes Ferrari and Merc would not sell their engines to anyone. If you really wanted their engine you could buy it, but there should be an independent supplier so you didn't have to sell your soul to get a suspect powerplant.
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle