collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 409
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: This should be interesting!  (Read 7719 times)

Offline Calman

Re: This should be interesting!
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2019, 07:18:58 AM »
I always smirk when I hear Schumy state "how stupid Ferrari would look" should they not have made that switch and the championship came down to "those points".   Now, you can see the obvious flaw in this situation, but can you imagine how paranoid this would make team decisions in the current 2019 championship? ... maybe Toto should have been on the radio to Bottas, to instruct him to slow down on the final corner, just in the event that Lewis need that points gap on 1st December (then only to make a calculation error, as Bottas grabbed the fastest lap point in Melbourne)  :o  |-(  :yahoo:  :DD

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2019, 10:42:42 AM »
For me personally I always question Schumacher's mental belief. I mean if he was 'so good' why couldn't he challenge his team mate on track?? Maybe he was scared of his team mates, or being shown up on track?

Because it was Jean Todt's idea, and if he'd had the full control over the decision, the No. 1/No. 2 thing would have been more blatant. He'd been wanting Nicola Larini to be Schumacher's team-mate since before Schumacher himself was signed. It was Schumacher and Brawn who insisted that Michael have a No. 2 driver who was actually capable of supporting him properly (and had a sense of humour - apparently that was one of the criteria!), hence Eddie Irvine's getting hired in the first place. (Admittedly, Schumacher was also concerned about Larini getting favouritism because of his being Italian and the psuedopolitical waters not being 100% clear at that point). David Coulthard had also been considered, but he refused the No. 2 treatment. It wasn't clear whether he got that offer before or after Schumacher was hired.

Irvine proved his worth enough that another competent driver was picked as his replacement (Barrichello); besides, at that point, no sensible title-fighting driver would have gone to Ferrari as the No. 2 clause was well-known by this point.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Dare

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2019, 11:57:53 AM »
no translation neede

hanks for supporting my point above Dare  :good:

As I have already stated, yes Fernando did receive team  orders, when earned and necessary.
I believe that is the Turkish F1 race in 2005. This was race 14 of the calendar of a 19 race season. Fernando was fighting Kimi for the title who was winning the race. Therefore Renault did what all teams would and let their championship challenging driver become second.

To be honest Dare, you could have found an English clip  |-(

To be honest I thought you spoke  Spanish. How else could you talk to
baby cakes when he called
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline rmassart

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2019, 12:53:28 PM »
You openly admit he wasn't the fastest,  didn't have the best race craft and had to resort to incidents not to be proud of. How can he be great? Yes he won 7 world titles but he cheated at Benetton to win 1 of those and had his team mate in his pocket for all 7!! I have 4 words for you...

Mika Hakinnen
Fernando Alonso

You can't tell people not in your team not to beat you.

Whether or not Alonso was the best out and out racer ever he made some terrible career choices. And unfortunately that is part and parcel of F1 and in fact anyone's job anywhere. This is what they call organisational awareness and is something I myself am terrible at, to the point where I can see why I might not have been promoted as fast as others in the past. 

But looking at Alonso, I am glad I am not the only one. The guy should have been at least a 5 times world champion in my opinion, but he simply made the wrong choices from the moment he joined McLaren. He didn't have to choose to sit in the pit lane an extra few seconds in Hungary, he didn't have to choose to threaten McLaren with leaking knowledge of cheating which forced him out of McLaren and gifted Hamilton his first title the next year. He didn't have to choose to join Ferrari at a point where Red Bull were coming good or return to McLaren at a point where they were clearly on a downward spiral and Mercedes and even Ferrari were improving.

When you compare that to Hamilton's inspired switch to Mercedes or Schumacher ditching Jordan for Benetton after just one race, the only thing I can think of saying is "great driver, terrible choices". And I wonder whether with time Alonso will be remembered more for his choices than his fantastic driving skills...

Offline Alonsofan

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2019, 02:25:56 PM »
no translation neede

As I have already stated, yes Fernando did receive team  orders, when earned and necessary.
I believe that is the Turkish F1 race in 2005. This was race 14 of the calendar of a 19 race season. Fernando was fighting Kimi for the title who was winning the race. Therefore Renault did what all teams would and let their championship challenging driver become second.

The reason I can understand Fernando is because he speaks English and here he is...

Actually Fernando can speak four different languages...

For the picky members on here I know his pronunciation of some words is a little bit off, but that just adds to his sex appeal.

:swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

Offline TimmyTime

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2019, 03:57:01 PM »
no translation neede

The reason I can understand Fernando is because he speaks English and here he is...

Actually Fernando can speak four different languages...

For the picky members on here I know his pronunciation of some words is a little bit off, but that just adds to his sex appeal.

:swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

:DD  :DD :DD All I pictured when reading this is this film...

Though to be fair Alonso speaks better English than this idiot...

Also Scott, being a gentleman has everything to do with it!! Why Schumacher is remembered for being such a cheat, not his 7 titles. Everyone it seems, bar you, see Schumacher as an underhand cheat. Yes Button had a car advantage, but he won fairly and beat his team mate, his main rival, fairly.

Oh and Alonsofan....sorry I mentioned the war if this is the result. Maybe this will smooth things over???

You have heard of Hammer time..this is TimmyTime

Offline Alonsofan

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2019, 06:53:51 PM »
Don't you just love Peggy  :D

As for Cheryl Cole, or what ever it's called these days. She reminds me of an ex colleague. She only lasted three nights and it wasn't because of her accent, it was because she thought it was okay to wedge open a security door in a secured unit to pop outside for a smoke....on CCTV under a no smoking sign hehe

As for the football clip....have you ever heard of the phrase "like a lamb to the slaughter?"  ;)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2019, 12:19:08 PM »
For the picky members on here I know his pronunciation of some words is a little bit off, but that just adds to his sex appeal

I would also add that I get weird looks when I pronounce some English words, and I'm a native English speaker who worked as a librarian (admittedly over a decade ago). Teasing someone for their 3rd language when they only started learning it at 18 (three of his first four words were "It is freezing" and the other one was a swearword... ...guess what month of the year he arrived in England?) and speak it well enough to be understood plainly just wouldn't be cricket (or motor racing, before anyone finishes the quote).

(It is also possible I may be sensitive about this because I like how Fisico pronounces "circuit" better than the Oxford English Dictionary version).

I think Fernando was mis-sold the McLaren seat - with the best of intentions, but he was given promises that McLaren was never going to keep (namely, making an outsider a #1 from the beginning without even letting them test the car first) because they ran so far against McLaren's own general tendencies. If Fernando had done his homework, he would have realised this had about as much credibility as Ferrari giving a contract saying, "You and the other driver will be absolutely equal under any and all circumstances". I know Fernando had to find the next challenge, but not saying "no" at that early juncture pretty much set up the rest of his career; Renault v2 was the log keeping him afloat after McLaren became untenable. The Red Bull proposals probably seemed suspicious at the time due to (at different times) lack of credible background and in-house favouritism. Ferrari was in a slump that Fernando was as unable to fix as any other driver would have been... ...and Mercedes couldn't hire Fernando after the McLaren affair cost it so much money. I don't think Fernando made a habit of bad decisions so much as one bad decision early on subtly mangling his subsequent options.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle