collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 347
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Williams F1 drafts in Patrick Head as consultant for interim stability  (Read 4845 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Sir Patrick seems the best option short term to get a bit of sanity back into the Grove outfits engineering/design side.
Hope he can stabilise and maybe even turn the drifting ship around. 

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2019/03/sir-patrick-head-returns-to-williams-as-short-term-consultant/
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 01:49:08 PM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Jericoke

Honestly, wondered why it took so long.

I'm guessing he doesn't want to risk his reputation stepping into a mess... but as a shareholder, he needs to watch out for the value of his share!  I wonder if he has someone specific he's looking to mentor?

Offline Calman

That's wild, as I mentioned Patrick Head not that long ago, interesting developments indeed!!

I sincerely hope the new 2019 driver line up helps Williams find answers/direction for the team?

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Scott

It’s an interesting move.  He may very well be the guy who could find the right new tech staff.  I hope so.  :good:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

If I were him, I'd start working on next year's car now.
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

I really hope he can help. This is where the in-season testing ban really hurts.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

guest3164

I am cautious about this to be honest.  In F1 terms, he is out of date with the modern technology and that may be a problem.  In terms of being a people person, wasn't he notoriously fierce which, given the rumblings of Williams being a miserable place to work, may make things even worse. 

Offline Calman

On paper, it may appear crazy ... but who knows, it may surprise us all, even if a little.

It's a bit like allowing a bull to run through a china shop .... twice.

Best Regards,

Offline Alianora La Canta

In terms of being a people person, wasn't he notoriously fierce which, given the rumblings of Williams being a miserable place to work, may make things even worse.

He was, but Nico Rosberg said he was noticeably gentler in the years he was there.

I'm not sure it's the answer, but a familiar face from the more successful past may raise morale among the older members of the crew.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Calman

From footage I've watched, Patrick has mellowed a little over the last few years, but as outlined, he needs to get up to speed on currently F1 technology quickly, if he stands any chance of elevating Williams current situation.  I do wish him well, as surely they can do something this year, in the hope of being in a better place next season??

Best Regards,

Offline Scott

Re: Williams F1 drafts in Patrick Head as consultant for interim stability
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2019, 12:54:45 AM »
I don’t think they brought him in to learn the current tech, but just to help build a competent tech team and structure.

Offline Calman

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2019, 02:38:25 AM »
I don’t think they brought him in to learn the current tech, but just to help build a competent tech team and structure.
I never suggested they did ... all I am saying, is that in order to collectively bring the team together, he would be expected to be "brought up to speed" on current F1 tech/regulations bla bla bla.   Regardless of the fact that he has been brought in to Williams to help structure the tech team, any current F1 knowledge (tech or otherwise) can only help with the bigger picture of his temporary assistance in the team.

Best Regards,

Offline Scott

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2019, 03:15:41 AM »
Sure, any current knowledge would be helpful, but do you think Williams has time for that?

I honestly think he’s just a branch of their HR.

Offline Calman

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2019, 04:15:37 AM »
Sure, any current knowledge would be helpful, but do you think Williams has time for that?

I honestly think he’s just a branch of their HR.

Well, it's not as if they have to fix an issue "quickly" to secure a competitive edge at the front of the grid, so yes, lack of time is the least of their worries in 2019.  Personally, if I had to make a choice between "timeline recovery" or "getting to the route of the problem" ... I know which avenue I would pursue!

Best Regards,

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2019, 11:52:14 AM »
Sometimes when your in a hole in business knowing who has some useful ideas - and more importantly letting them run with them - whichever level they come from - makes the difference.
I think Patricks role will be more about allowing alternate voices to be heard and given a chance to show their substance.

Whilst presumably his other big job is rebuilding the tech team and structure which appears to have become too corporate, not enough for Paddy - which is why he couldn't cope; but too much to allow quick deviations from the laid down plans.

His role should also be finding the next James Allinson, James Key - or whisper it softly Adrian.
Well I hope that's what he's there for.  ;) 

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle