collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 367
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Bahrain GP Views  (Read 4479 times)

Offline Alonsofan

Bahrain GP Views
« on: March 31, 2019, 07:18:39 PM »
Heroes/winners/ whatever you stroke on here. Hehe

Leclerc= best driver of the race (such a shame)

Hamilton= for being in the position to inherit the win and for being gracious enough to admit it was a fluke.

Ferrari= for not using team orders...Wow!!

Norris= solid from the rookie (was it because baby cakes was watching....shhhhh)

Russell= 2-0 over his team mate.

Zeros/Losers stroke what ever you don't wanna stroke on here...

Vettel= how to word this so the stars don't appear....mmmm....pants.

Bottas= what happened to the Bad Boy Bottas image??

Grosjean= ermmmmm....congratulations...for being 1000x worse than anything.

If I am honest that was quite a good race  :good:

guest3164

Re: Bahrain GP Views
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 07:23:33 PM »
All in all a much more exciting race than Australia, some good overtaking action, good racing.  I enjoyed it.

Heroes:

Leclerc- Dominated Vettel all weekend, a really mature performance

Hamilton- Drove the Merc as well as he could, lucked into a win but put himself there.

Norris- He is looking really assured in F1, top drive again.

Zeros:

Vettel- Already imploding?  He appeared to be carrying on his form of the last two years.

Renault- Pop... Pop.

Ferrari's engine- I think there is something going on with this, they clearly ran it tuned down in Australia and now today having it turned up bit them hard. 

Offline TimmyTime

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 08:03:18 PM »
Winners

Hamilton gracious and fair

Lelclerc did deserve better

Norris up for another Brit

Losers

The useless Vettel

Ferrari engine did go pop

BBB Beaten Bya Brit....sorry Magdalena

Generally a good race I thought, hope Hamilton/Mercedes can close that gap
You have heard of Hammer time..this is TimmyTime

Offline Willy

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 09:53:38 PM »
Great race.
Good passing and lots to watch as there were good battles up and down the grid.
Winners
Leclerc - the driver of the weekend ...sadly robbed of all his great work by tech issue
Ferrari - great comeback after disappointing 1st race
Hamilton..as always a great drive and able to capitalize of Leclerc's issue. Lewis was also generous in his post race interview about Leclerc.
Losers
Grosjean .. just being there. WTF
Renault .. two fold comments....nice team failure WTF...and thanks for causing the Safety Car and allowing Leclerc to be able to stay on the podium and not give third to Verstappen

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 03:18:19 AM »
Heroes:

Hamilton continues to show why he is a 5 time champion.  Other drivers after a disappointing start might just chill in 4th place and be thankful to finish.  Hamilton kept pushing, was able to keep his cool, put pressure on the racers ahead of him, and seize good fortune as it came his way.  Also very good at reading the mood and praising LeClerc. 

LeClerc isn't a hero for his flawless driving, but rather his poise and maturity.  We've seen other young drivers with a degree of success who we simply don't care for, due to their arrogance, through their aggressive driving, or their entitled attitude.  LeClerc comes across as grateful, hard working, and aware of his place in Formula One.  He is the sort of driver we want to see succeed, and it is dramatic when he doesn't.  I hope that he has a long, great career, and he proves to be a solid role model.

Zeroes:
Seb - we've all seen former champions fade.  Driving for teams who don't quite provide a winning car.  Reflexes and skills fading with age.  I don't know we've seen former champions develop a reputation for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory so consistently.  He's running a serious risk of being remembered as a glass champion who couldn't stand up to pressure.

Ferrari - it wasn't clear during the race, but LeClerc was ordered to hold station behind Vettel.  The crowd was quite happy seeing the young driver re-take the lead.  I hope that Ferrari is listening to the fans.  They've forced out Schumacher, Kimi (twice), Alonso and Massa.  I don't know if they'll hold onto Vettel or sacrifice the team to fulfill some promise to him.  It's a mess, and I don't see how it can get better.

Bottas - not really a zero, but after a great start today, I was hoping we might see more of Aussie Bottas.  Now I think we're going to go back to 2018 Bottas.

We didn't really get much coverage of the rest of the field, but for once the top 4 put on a great show, so we didn't need much from the comedy of errors that Haas, Renault and Racing point put on.

Offline Dare

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 03:44:26 AM »
Charles is a sponsor's dream. Good looking well mannered,and
 just comes across as the real deal. I was sorry when Kimi was replaced but now see it was the right choice. Well maybe they should have kept
Kimi and let Vettel go.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 04:34:52 AM »
Hero’s:

Leclerc - He did everything he could to win the race (a bit lucky to finish on the podium), and showed he will be on the top step more than once this season.

Lewis for being there when luck presented herself.

Zero’s:

Renault - where is the engine improvement they promised?  I hope they get that figured out soon.

Vettel drove like we knew he would if Leclerc passed him...disappointing.

Grosjean, Kvyat who drove like rookies.

Great race though.  Can’t wait for the next.

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Calman

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 05:35:33 AM »
You've pretty much covered it all, so I am not going to go over covered ground.

Quite simply, THAT!!! was an F1 race.  It doesn't matter who your favourite driver is, who your favourite team was, what your favourite colour of underway is .... that was entertaining.  I am labelling Bahrain 2019 as "Sweet 16" ... which doesn't refer to any technical regulation, setting, driver # ... it simply means that the first 16 laps were AWESOME - I couldn't keep up!!!!

Tragic outcome for Leclerc, disaster and lot of points lost for Renault ... otherwise, everything F1 should be and hope that following/overtaking is not Bahrain specific for this level of competitiveness.

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 09:34:10 AM »
Tough for LeClerc, but he did show poise. Ferrari have an engine problem. They said after in this case, it was a problem with the IC engine, one of the cylinders. Lewis says Ferrari's advantage right now is straight line speed. Mercedes will be working 24 hour shifts to catch up, so Ferrari better fix it and take advantage while they can.

Kudos again to Honda; 4 cars, 2 races, no failures. They might even be more powerful than Renault.

Speaking of Renault, 4 cars, 2 races, and 3 failures. Not good.

Verstappen said R/B's problem was rear wheel spin on the reds. They couldn't get them in the window. He said the car was very good on the yellows. Odd to hear a R/B driver complain about the chassis.

Danny R. is feeling the pressure, he says he's over driving the car.

Ya'll can beat old Romain all ya want to, but from what I saw saw the accident at the start was not his fault. Plenty of blame for the Qually dust up, but not the race.

Renault has gotten a ruling saying Haas cannot use Ferrari Brake ducts(!). Haas basically said worry about your own slug and leave us alone. They both better suck it up because ALFA and McLaren are looking pretty racy.

I think that covers it for me, over to you.
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 03:44:22 PM »
One of the best races of recent years. It deserved better than to end behind the Safety Car.

Winners - Hamilton, He lucked into the win, but he was up front about it. He showed a lot of class after the race.

LeClerc - Not much to add to what has already been said. Ferrari are luck to have him.

McLaren - They made a much better showing than anyone expected.

Zeroes:

Stroll - Needlessly torpedoed Grosjean on the start.

Renault - Colin Chapman once said that a race car is too heavily built if it doesn't fall apart right after it checkered flag. Renault miscalculated by a few laps.

Hard Luck Award - A rare double award this week:

LeClerc - What more can I say? He handled it like a champion.

Grosjean - First the Quali incident with Norris. The other teams noted that Haas doesn't warn their drivers about traffic. Even Lando said that Romain was "screwed over" by Vettel in the incident. ( https://news.yahoo.com/norris-vettel-screwed-over-penalised-184316868.html ) Still, Grosjean was penalized and vilified. Then Stroll rams him on the start and damaged his car enough to eventually cause its retirement. He deserved better.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2019, 09:55:12 PM »
Leclerc - What can I say? He finally cracked the Q3 struggle to string together an ideal lap, at the perfect time to do so. He fought back well from discovering (along with the entire left side of the grid) that there was less grip than anticipated on the line, then was utterly convincing in his control of the race. He didn't need the gap to attempt the fastest lap because he already held it... ...then the engine lost its top power. (Incidentally, I think it's the first time I've heard Charles properly worried about anything on the radio). For a while, I thought that Ferrari wasn't even going to finish after all that, or perhaps do so outside the points, so for Charles to salvage a podium out of that was really impressive. And he had such sweet words for the team whose car failed him...

It hurt. It hurt a lot. But seeing Charles demonstrate what is possible for Ferrari made that pain worthwhile.

Hamilton - This is as close as I've come in a long time to declaring two drivers equal top in my "heroes" list. Most of the difference between them is explicable in their cars. Lewis raced hard on the track and pressured Sebastian out of the running for the podium. Then he was the friend Charles needed in the post-race area.

Williams - Pretty much everyone else was overlooked by the aforementioned duo, but I want to give props to Williams. They know they're last, they know hope is a long way on the horizon... ...but they fought each other long, hard and fair in that first two-thirds of the race. These are proper racers.

Honourable mention: Verstappen. Drove well all weekend - especially qualifying.

Zeroes:

Renault - One total engine failure and one car that looked suspiciously like it was out of fuel. On the same corner of the same lap. The phrase "oh dear" comes to mind.

Sainz - Looks like a man about to break his make-or-break season.

Grosjean - I'm not sure he was even in the same race as Magnussen. Kevin said it was the car wasn't at its best, but he got way more out of it than Romain.

Dishonourable mention: Vettel - Lewis knows him inside out, and unfortunately it showed. Again. At least he gave us some of the most dramatic photos of the race with that explosive front wing failure.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Monty

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2019, 09:20:03 AM »
Agree with lots of what has already been said.
My additional comments relate to Verstappen and Stroll; both stupidly took out other cars at a stage in the race where there was a lot to lose and not a lot to gain.

Offline Calman

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2019, 04:31:09 PM »
Should we also give credit to the race stewards? ... who didn't hand out penalties for every single incident on track and essentially let them race! (apart from where absolutely necessary to apply punishment).

Best Regards,
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2019, 07:12:25 PM »
I agree, Calman. The stewards did a fine job of letting the car race.

Grosjean was slower because he had floor damage from being hit by Stroll.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2019, 08:41:40 PM »
Should we also give credit to the race stewards? ... who didn't hand out penalties for every single incident on track and essentially let them race! (apart from where absolutely necessary to apply punishment).

Best Regards,

The best officials at a sporting event are the ones you don't have to mention.  Good call Cal!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle