collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 339
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: More like the Ferrari we know  (Read 7865 times)

Offline TimmyTime

Re: More like the Ferrari we know
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2019, 10:38:18 AM »
Harsh?? He can't even keep the best car in a straight line. He is lucky his team mate was so in his pocket at Red Bull, Ricciardo proved that. He is average and many drivers would have won the WDC in his car last year.... isn't that right Magdalena.
He can leave and I won't miss him
You have heard of Hammer time..this is TimmyTime

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2019, 01:10:06 PM »
Vettel is still good. It's just that the bar at Ferrari's been moved almost literally overnight.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Online Jericoke

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2019, 03:36:31 PM »
Harsh?? He can't even keep the best car in a straight line. He is lucky his team mate was so in his pocket at Red Bull, Ricciardo proved that. He is average and many drivers would have won the WDC in his car last year.... isn't that right Magdalena.

I've never counted Vettel amongst my favourite drivers, but you have to respect his race win an STR in 2008 (before 'big team' RBR got their first win, mind you), and a hard fought championship in 2010  (third going into the last race and winning the championship?  Has that ever happened?)

He has the skills of a world champion.

I do agree that he seems to have lost whatever iron nerve he had at the beginning of his career.  It could be the pressure of being the best instead of fighting with nothing to lose.  It could be that he's more mature, less willing to take chance... or trying to prove that he's willing to take chances so takes them more.

Personally, I don't want a team sponsored by Mission Winnow to have any success as all, so I hope they fail spectacularly, but it's nothing against him personally.  I'd love a close fight as a fan of the sport.

Offline TimmyTime

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2019, 05:32:28 PM »
In 2008 it was a good but slightly lucky weather affected win. Hamilton should have won but on the day didn't.
In 2010 Vettel was lucky, he took Button out of contention, literally, I believe in Belgium. Alonso was deserving of that championship. Red Bull could have and should have backed Webber but probably due to Vettel being a development programme driver and Red Bulls favourite they refused to do this. Then typically, Ferrari messed up their strategy and gifted Vettel the championship from under Alonso's nose. Then the next three were all best car, no challenger, team mate not allowed to win etc.
A true champion would be able to raise their bar to beat their rivals. Example, Hamilton at Singapore last year. Vettel cannot raise his bar, he has truly peaked.
Time to go Seb

Online Jericoke

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2019, 05:54:55 PM »
A true champion would be able to raise their bar to beat their rivals. Example, Hamilton at Singapore last year. Vettel cannot raise his bar, he has truly peaked.
Time to go Seb

Hamilton is better than Seb, no question.  I think that 2018 was a special championship that Hamilton earned more than any championship I've seen since I started watching in 1996.

(Don't get me wrong, I would say all the champions were deserved in that time frame.  The fastest car with the better driver won.  That simply wasn't the case in 2018, Mercedes wasn't the fastest car, and if it weren't for Hamilton's work, there would be no Mercedes champion)

Offline Calman

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2019, 06:17:04 PM »
I generally have more respect for Vettel these days (comparing with his early 'brat days' battling with Webber at RBR).  Whether you like him or not, you have to respect what he has achieved in RBR and Ferrari to date.  In his early days, it was argued that he may not be the best driver from lower positions on the grid, as his race craft didn't measure up to legends in the sport, but clearly he still has talent, even if it's questionable, whether he is still "at the top of his game".

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2019, 07:51:54 PM »
I think what Vettel has lost is the will to win. He doesn't seem to want it as bad as he used to, or as bad as Hamilton.
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2019, 09:36:14 PM »
I think Seb has lost the composure to win. When things get close, Lewis keeps his wits about him. Any more, Seb makes rookie style errors when things get tough.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2019, 10:44:15 PM »
Exactly
Lonny

Offline Calman

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2019, 10:59:03 PM »
I think Seb felt bullet proof in the RBR days, but now with the pressure at Ferrari, a few doubts have crept in and he will likely be assessing his own skills, more now, than ever!!!

Clearly, LeClerc could cement the tipping point, as new "hungry" talented drivers are making their way onto the grid.

Best Regards,

Offline Scott

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2019, 02:57:35 PM »
It seems to really go south on him when he gets passed.  Winning from the lead is his main thing, and he can provide an exciting run from starting in the back on occasion, but if he is on the front row and doesn't take the lead or keep the lead  after the first couple of corners, he gets desperate and makes rookie errors.

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2019, 04:40:54 PM »
We've not heard from Ferrari why they issued the stay in formation order, was it because they feared engine vulnerabilities if Charles pushed on too much, rather than just fearing a coming together?

They obviously had some issues in Aus which led them to run the engines below real top end power. Is it possible that Charles speed caused his own demise from mechanical failure? He wouldn't be the first or last driver to take a car past it's reliability limit.

I realise this theorizing is totally against mainstream opinion and I mean no disrespect to Leclerc, I'm just thinking outside the box - out loud.     
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Calman

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2019, 07:02:47 PM »
I have similar questions/theories John!

There is a lot of speculation floating around internet-land, but I personally wonder about the first few laps after Leclerc lost the lead.  Is it possible he was told to hold station behind Seb for  >>>

A) Potential car issue, if pushed too hard early on ....
B) Simply not wanting to risk a potential coming together with Seb .... or
C) Avoid upsetting Seb, should the team not favour his lead???

Hopefully, we will learn more about Ferrari's Dynamics/Mechanics in China!

Best Regards,

Offline Alonsofan

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2019, 07:53:55 PM »

I agree with you Tim that Vettel is an average driver in potentially a good car, but like in every aspect of life you have to have the bad people so you can appreciate the good more.
Don't slap me for this one Tim but if we didn't have Vettel I would really hate Hamilton  ;) Oh and Tim, if baby cakes was in Vettel's car last year he would have had Hamilton  :P

Offline TimmyTime

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2019, 09:21:39 PM »
I won't hit you.....but would have had Hamilton ...... Maybe got closer than Seb did LOL

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle