Other Sports > Other Sports

Alonso's Indy Ride

(1/2) > >>

lkjohnson1950:
This year's car will be Chevy powered.

https://www.racefans.net/2019/04/08/mclaren-reveal-alonsos-car-for-indy-500/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+f1fanatic+%28RaceFans+-+Independent+Motorsport+Coverage%29

Calman:
Incredibly simple appearance, in comparison to an F1 car.  Wonder if he missed F1 yet? ... even if he suggests otherwise to the media??

Good Luck Alonso!!  :good:

Best Regards,
Cal :)

Jericoke:

--- Quote from: Calman on April 09, 2019, 08:09:50 AM ---Incredibly simple appearance, in comparison to an F1 car.  Wonder if he missed F1 yet? ... even if he suggests otherwise to the media??

Good Luck Alonso!!  :good:

Best Regards,
Cal :)

--- End quote ---

Part of the simplicity is that at Indy (and most ovals) cornering speed isn't as important as straightaway speed.  An F1 configured to run at Indy (oval) would look stripped down too.

When Indycars race at road/street tracks, they do have more aero bits.  Still nothing like an F1 car, but much more complicated than the one and done chassis McLaren is sending to the 500.

I'm not sure if Alonso is missing F1 or not.  It's a ton of pressure, and without the ability to deliver meaningful results, it must've been very hard on him.  Indy is something he can win, so I would imagine he's happy to do that instead of hope for a miracle at Monaco.

Scott:
He surely had/has some unfinished business in F1, but I doubt he missed the cars he drove the last few years.

Indy is a far more relaxed atmosphere out of the car, but I’m not sure he’s the type to enjoy that or not.

lkjohnson1950:
IndyCar's aero rules are very restrictive. A couple years ago they made the decision to drastically reduce downforce in the hope of increasing competition. With no barge boards, no vortex generators and low noses the cars do look much simpler.  It was not as successful as they hoped, but you do see more passing than in F1.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version