collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 383
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: So, here comes the landmark Chinese GP!!! ...  (Read 4567 times)

Offline Calman

So, here comes the landmark Chinese GP!!! ...
« on: April 12, 2019, 02:25:02 AM »
Apart from the questionable 1,000th GP, what can we expect the Chinese GP to serve up?

1) A "trouble-free" drive and win for LeClerc?
2) Hamilton continuing with his winning ways?
3) Max upsetting a Merc/Ferrari win?
4) Renault finally grabbing some top points - even a podium?
5) With Alfa's upgrades, maybe even a surprise result for Kimi?
6) A BORING!!! 1,000th GP from start to finish?

Best Regards,
Cal :)

Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

guest3164

Re: So, here comes the landmark Chinese GP!!! ...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 08:08:42 AM »
Some faux excitement at the track to try to really build up the hype which leads to a lot of awkward looking drivers.

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 08:54:58 AM »
Maybe they will finally fill the grandstands?
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

guest3164

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 09:15:02 AM »
Goodness Scott, that is the most unlikely thing I've ever heard!

Offline Monty

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 09:54:39 AM »
It is such a shame because the circuit is really good for spectators. There are huge numbers of Grandstands all with excellent views but they don't open half of them because there is no demand (plus many of them are not covered and when it gets hot in Shanghai you definitely want to be under cover!). I guess there are lots of reasons that the circuit doesn't get full but from my visit I think the main issues are that although Shanghai is a rich and cosmopolitan city, the circuit is a long way outside of Shanghai plus locals can't afford the entry fee.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 10:05:59 AM »
I'm looking forward to Charles continuing to trounce Vettel, Merc getting on proper terms with Ferrari and Danny Ric scoring his first points of the season.
Oh and young Albon getting more points for Toro Rosso, he's such a nice lad, his mum and Franz Tost - his boss & new mentor - will be thrilled.  :good:
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Monty

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 10:19:10 AM »
Interesting to hear that several teams (including Ferrari) are already edging towards penalties due to power unit changes.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 03:10:07 PM »

They will. They'll fill them with giant signs for the 1,000 F1 points race.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Calman

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 05:50:40 PM »
Interesting to hear that several teams (including Ferrari) are already edging towards penalties due to power unit changes.
Yes, I also read that somewhere yesterday Monty!!

I really wish they would remodel the penalty system. Personally, I would prefer to see teams pick up 75% of penalties, without penalising the drivers (finishing positions/points) themselves.

It would be a tragedy, if say, by the end of the season, LeClerc is within touching distance of beating Vettel and picks up a penalty, which sees him start from the back (or close to it) on the final race of the season.

Best Regards,

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 09:27:04 PM »
I’m with you Cal, I think the teams should be docked WDC points for technical infractions, like engine or gearbox penalties, unsafe releases etc, while drivers should only be penalized for driver infractions.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2019, 12:34:03 AM »
I'd prefer penalties to be offset for race DNFs.

If you fail to finish a race outside the points because of power unit problems I'm of the opinion that you've already taken a penalty so fitting new parts should have some leniency, even if you take over your allowance of some parts.

This doesn't mean a complete new power unit can be bolted in, just new elements taking you over your allowance to get you back in the game. Taking a complete new power unit and all the ancillary parts would still attract penalty unless everything is totalled in DNF scenario. 

I'm not so concerned about Team v Driver treatment, they win together or lose together. Team orders mean that teams can slow drivers down anyway so IMHO it's hard to argue the two aren't dependant on each other.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Calman

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2019, 03:17:45 AM »
It's a tough one really.

Drivers will always be selfish BLEEP BLEEPS! .... but commentators, pundits and everyone with a microphone, always laments on "It's all about the Team", so all these weekends which pass on through, with this decision or that decision, we are constantly reminded when "team orders" are whispered, that the Team comes first.

So ... that's why I personally think that more penalties should land in the team's lap, not necessarily the driver, unless it's purely an incident triggered by a driver's poor judgement on the track.

Hey, as a side note, aren't we well overdue on witnessing a NUTTER RUNNING DOWN THE TRACK!!!! ... I mean, it's a big occasion this weekend, surely we need that extra dimension during the Chinese, 1,000th GP??

Best Regards,

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2019, 05:43:42 AM »
 :good: :good: :good:
Lonny

guest3164

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2019, 09:25:12 AM »
Did anyone pluck for Verstappen losing his temper and insulting the other drivers?  He was a little unhappy at being overtaken on his final warm up lap meaning he ended up missing the cut off point.  Inevitably it led to him throwing his toys out the pram.

Article found here:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/142732/verstappen-blasts-rivals-after-missing-final-q3-run

guest3164

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2019, 11:37:27 AM »
Very interesting qualifying actually if you look at it.  The top 10 especially are lined up team by team and you can see the gaps are 'generally' tight in the inter team battles (one exception, Verstappen/Gasly again).  Is China the track that really shows the cars strengths over the drivers? 

Bottas -> Hamilton- 0.023
Vettel -> Leclerc- 0.017
Verstappen -> Gasly- 0.841
Ricciardo -> Hulkenberg - 0.004  :o

The Haas drivers set no time and I do not really want to go too far down due to crashes/issues making the rest harder to look at. 

Although you can see McLaren and Williams lined up after each other:
Sainz -> Norris - 0.444
Russell -> Kubica - 0.028

Kind of dull maybe, I just found it very interesting to see how close the inter team battles were this weekend leading to an almost Noah's Ark like qualifying of them going in 2 by 2 (yes, I went to a Church of England Primary School and obviously it left some impact  :D )

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle