collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 339
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 2019 Chinese GP Hero's and Zero's  (Read 5266 times)

Offline Scott

2019 Chinese GP Hero's and Zero's
« on: April 14, 2019, 08:56:34 AM »
Hero's

Well managed race by Mercedes.  Hamilton and Bottas were error free.

Max was also well behaved, but aside from a short skirmish with Vettel, he barely saw anyone else during the race.

Vettel finished a strong 3rd in a Ferrari managed race.  They wouldn't have had to ask Leclerc to pull over if Vettel hadn't been blocked by a slow Bottas off the start.  Leclerc probably would have done as well, but he has plenty of time and should lay off the radio comments and discuss things in the team de-brief with data in hand.

Nice to see DR getting a solid 7th, but Renault should be ahead of RBR.  That damn Honda seems to finally have made it to the big time.  Too bad for Alonso.

Perez in the points and 45sec ahead of his teammate.  At least Lance finished and didn't run over anyone.

Zero's

Williams was just an embarrassment again today.  Obviously the engine can survive a race, but the car is miles off the pace.

Ferrari for annoying probably every French fan of F1.  This early on, they could have just let it play out, or at the very least just change the pit strategy of Leclerc.

Designer of the track...boring.

Other notes:

3DNF's - Hulk, Kvyat and Norris.

Gasly FL...they threw new rubber on him a couple of laps before the end.

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

guest3164

Re: 2019 Chinese GP Hero's and Zero's
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 09:00:24 AM »
Apologies for lurking and then disappearing Scott, got slightly distracted (not by the race I might add!)  Must admit I ended up fast forwarding the last dozen or so laps and really missed very little.  No way was that deserving of the 'F1 1000' spectacle. 

As a race I can't really even think of the usual heroes and zeroes. 

I'll give a punt:

Heroes:

Hamilton- From off the pace in practice to dominating the race.

Albon- He looks like he is fairly quickly adjusting to F1, a good race indeed.

Zeroes:

Stewards- I thought first lap incidents were looked upon more leniently? 

The circuit- A really bad track.  Bahrain a couple of weeks ago was a brilliant race and it was followed up by this borefest.

guest3164

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 09:01:25 AM »
I must admit Scott, I cannot even bring myself to acknowledge the FW42.  Yes, I will support the team but the car is so bad I barely recognise it as being in the race.  Thankfully the TV crews are the same so I am not forced to see it too often  :'(

Offline Alonsofan

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 09:12:29 AM »
Winners

Hamilton - Good from the start.

Mercedes - Most dominant start for a team since 1992.

Russell - 3-0 over his team mate.

Albon - Great result from a pit lane start.

Losers

Bottas - You made my daughter cry, where is your bad boy attitude gone??

Ferrari - Weird calls throughout the race and where has your pre season pace gone??

Offline rmassart

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 11:30:24 AM »
Nothing much more to add.  But Bottas was not error free.  He screwed up the start otherwise he might now be leading the championship!  And it meant he slowed Vettel enough to enable Leclerc to get the jump on him. I think that's why Ferrari felt team orders were acceptable.

I thought this was going to be a great race given the tiny qualifying differences within the top teams. Turned out to be a snooze.

Offline Willy

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 06:36:55 PM »
Wins
Hamilton. once again the class of the field.
Merc. good strategy, well played.
Leclerc. Holding his comments on his retarded team and the orders.

Lose
Ferrari. Screwed up Leclerc with stupid team orders.
Liberty Media. Wasting the occasion of the 1000th GP on any location other than Silverstone.

Offline TimmyTime

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 06:55:11 PM »
Winners

Hamilton, Easy victory

Albon, Drive of the day!

Loser's

Ferrari/Vettel/Leclerc, Poor team choices, too many mistakes, cowardly to move over.

Kvyat, took out both McLaren's  >:D

You have heard of Hammer time..this is TimmyTime

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 07:21:32 PM »
My schedule didn't allow to watch it live (or be in the Chat Room). I just finished watching the race.

Heroes:

Hamilton & Merc - For reasons already covered.

Zeroes:

My Grid Game picks  :'(

Sky's coverage - At the end of the race, when about the only contested position was Albon & Grosjean racing for the last points paying position, we were treated to things like a close up of the label on Lewis's left glove, people jumping up & down in the Merc garage and the like. They almost actually showed Albon & Grosjean cross the line, but jerked the camera away at the last second to show Kimi's Alfa.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 07:48:57 PM »
I also found the camera work and direction poor.

guest3164

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 08:01:00 PM »
There were some moments where the camera was at one end of the home straight and they kept jerking to the final corner to see who was pitting.  It was really amateur.

Offline Willy

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 08:49:21 PM »
Yes...some sad camera coverage. Nice aerial camera work tho, wasn't sure if it was a drone or a helicopter.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2019, 11:02:14 PM »
Heroes

Edit: There were some. I just forgot I hadn't recorded them and got carried away with the zeroes.

Hamilton: Well-converted.

Norris: For keeping his sense of humour after basically getting his race demolished after 700 metres.

Perez: for getting points in a car that really wasn't point-worthy this time around.

Zeroes

Channel 4 - Stop putting spoilers just before the ad breaks! It worked much better without them last race, why did you reverse that? Even Ferrari's strategists are better at strategy than those at Channel 4, it seems...

Ferrari - This is the second time in three races that one of your drivers has come up with a better strategy than your strategists. The worrying thing is that this time, both of your drivers independently came up with different better strategies than your strategists. OK, they were mutually incompatible with each other, but given that, between the four of them, they covered pretty much every vaguely plausible option, picking the worst two out of the four to deploy is unimpressive. At this rate, I'm going to end up doing their strategy for them and they will not like the results!

The camera crews - There's a distinction between "arty" and "neither use nor ornament". Please find it.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 11:05:32 PM by Alianora La Canta »
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Calman

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 03:16:10 AM »
Once again, you have covered most of the obvious reactions.

However, how about Kimi ... He Haas to be in the mix, for a yankie doodle doable race!!!!!  .... I bet he is having more fun than LeClerc did today in his old seat.

Also, a lonely, but rewarding result for Danny Ric ... and yes, I am also very pleased for Alex Albon!!!!

So, does Bottas now play "rear gunner" for Hamilton, ever if Ferrari are showing zero percentage of a threat to date???

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 03:43:00 AM »
Until it’s mathematically impossible for Lewis to lose the championship, Mercedes will err towards Lewis for all strategy decisions.  Lewis can mess that up himself. 

As will Ferrari towards Vettel

Offline TimmyTime

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2019, 07:36:54 AM »
I do think Mercedes allow free racing and team preference has to be earned.
This is clearly not the way at Ferrari.

So I question, whose racing ideals are more successful??
You have heard of Hammer time..this is TimmyTime

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle