collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 377
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Leclerc seeking full picture  (Read 1820 times)

Online Dare

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

guest3164

Re: Leclerc seeking full picture
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 08:08:52 PM »
I'm not sure, but I think the picture looks something like this:

Online Dare

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 08:14:29 PM »
Their putting their money on the wrong horse
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

guest3164

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 08:17:45 PM »
I fully agree.  Leclerc is their present and future.  I guess Vettel's salary is just that bit higher so they need to try to justify it to themselves. 

Offline Willy

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 08:57:41 PM »
I understand Ferrari feeling the need to give full support to Seb as he has 4 trophies and a huge salary.
But...Charles Leclerc is the real deal who can beat Seb and they both know it!
I watched Seb as he made mistakes trying to keep Leclerc behind him when team orders forced CL to move over.
Enzo will be spinning in his grave with the way Ferrari are being run today.
Give this obviously very talented young man all the tools he needs and let him win you races....he will do that for you.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 11:45:42 PM »
At this point, I don't think Ferrari's strategy is helping either horse! (When it gets to the point that both of your drivers are coming up with better strategies than your strategists, you should probably change how your strategy is decided).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Calman

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 03:02:57 AM »
It's simple Ferrari, LeClerc is your future, so invest in it.  Vettel is starting to show cracks and react to pressure, so make the right decision and move forward.

Best Regards,
Cal :)
Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

Offline TimmyTime

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 07:32:16 AM »
Their putting their money on the wrong horse

Spot on!!
You have heard of Hammer time..this is TimmyTime

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 01:12:08 PM »
I will always defend a team’s rights to manage the team and drivers as they see fit, as long as there is some logic behind it.  Vettel out-qualified Leclerc and was blocked off the start by Bottas and Leclerc left him no room to squeeze past on the inside.  I think if Leclerc had shown enough speed to pull out of DRS range in the first couple of laps, Ferrari might have waited to see what he could do.  If he could maintain it or extend a gap after that, they might have let him stay ahead.

More troubling to me is why they changed his tire strategy.  I think that lost him a place and blew any chance he might have had of matching Seb’s pace and even catching him.  He should have pitted the lap following Vettel.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 02:26:50 PM »
Ferrari where in a no win situation - neither Charles or Seb could go fast enough to break clear of Max's threatened undercut to ease the pressure for their team mate - Mercs meanwhile were off on a springtime jaunt all of their own.

Leaving Charles in front of Seb would not have altered the threat from Max but worse could possibly have seen both cars taken by the Red Bull.
The thinking was right to give Seb his chance, unfortunately he couldn't go any faster so the threat from Max became reality.
Not sure Charles would have managed to stay ahead of Max as Seb did, however that's a debatable point.

Once they had lost 4th to Max a different strategy was required to try to get the 2nd Ferrari ahead of him, this would have applied to Seb if he was relegated just the same as Charles.

In the end IMHO it was Ferrari's general lack of pace that held Charles back rather than the team order. Just maybe Vettel could have wrestled 4th from Max if he'd not been allowed to pass Charles, but that also supposes that Charles could have held onto 3rd from Max.

As I said at the start of my theorising Ferrari were faced with a real headache that had almost no perfect solution.
I'm sure when Charles looks at the whole thing he'll realise that 3rd and 5th was possibly the best on offer to the red team on this occasion.   

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Monty

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 02:27:04 PM »
Agree with most comments here (I think Ferrari should hand strategy decisions over to us!). I guess their biggest mistake was being foolish enough to think they had a chance of racing Mercedes. In China at least, they had already lost that race and should have been concentrating on the Red Bulls.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle