collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 361
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Sky TV coverage  (Read 2215 times)

Offline Monty

Sky TV coverage
« on: April 15, 2019, 03:52:19 PM »
I have seen a few comments regarding Sky coverage. I could be wrong (normally am) but I think the camera work is fed to all the TV companies from F1 so I can live with that.
My issue:- Although, I like Martin Brundle and David Croft and I also like Anthony Davidson, Damon Hill, Johnny Herbert, Natalie Pinkham and Paul DiResta. I'm not so keen on Karun Chandhok, Rachel Brookes or Craig Slater and to be honest I wouldn't miss Simon Lazenby, Nico Rosberg or Ted Kravitz. Sorry; back to my issue - how the h*ll do they justify having all of them?? Plus there is talk of Jenson Button joining the team. In my opinion F1 on TV was just as good when BBC covered the races with only Murray Walker and James Hunt in the box and someone like Tony Jardine covering technical aspects. Even in the later years, the BBC could do excellent coverage with a team of just four or five (although they did make the mistake of including Eddie Jordan!!). I would be much happier if Sky reduced the number of people in their F1 team and reduced my subscription from the savings  :D

Offline Scott

Re: Sky TV coverage
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 05:01:46 PM »
I think most of the earlier comments were about the feed camera work and the direction.  I’m sorry Channel 4 doesn’t still do it live - I like Coulthard and the gang better than anyone on Sky.  Maybe they’ll also see the sense of bringing Ted under their wing and expand their highlight show with Ted’s Notebook.  I rarely had a GP weekend that didn’t finish with him.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 07:58:06 PM »
The Sky coverage gives me bad enough earache when I try listening to the snippets that make the F1 YouTube channel. I couldn't imagine getting through 3+ hours of it if it was free, let alone for the price being charged.

Channel 4 was much, much better ...until they started putting spoilers before the ads. If I didn't know better, I'd think they were trying to reduce the F1 audience in the UK.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

guest3164

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 08:15:59 PM »
It's not talk Monty, Button is part of the team.  He will pop up at some point.  Maybe they are going on a rotation system a bit like C4 used to do.  However, I do agree there are too many people as things stand.  I do not like Croft and I cannot stand the whole 'Martin Brundle what do you think?' 'Ted how are things in the pitlane?' and 'Crofty'.  Makes the whole coverage seem a bit 'matey'.  I would like to see Brundle and Coulthard co-commentate without Crofty and then have someone else (Kravitz, Chandhok, Davidson, Di Resta, Button, A.N. Other) doing the blurb bit. 

Offline Calman

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 08:45:22 PM »
I haven't yet read the small print, but would assume that Jenson Button will appear randomly, along the lines of Damon Hill, Paul Di Resta and Johnny Herbert? (depending on their commitments elsewhere).

I'm not a fan of Simon L and Crofty, so I wouldn't be sad to see them go. I Don't mind Martin & Ted, although Martin can sometimes come over as an authority on "things F1" which are way advanced from his time in the car and he usually doesn't know as much as he would like to think he does.  Of course, Ted can be a bit of an over excitable prat some times, but you can't help but like his (even slightly).   Poor Damon is usually talked over and Johhny is just there to be a smiley entertainer.    Simon has a habit of asking co-presenters a question, but soon after, you can tell by his body language, he doesn't give a hoot what they are saying and appears keen to cut them off and go onto other things.  Yes, I'm sure he has voices in his ear saying "move things along" ... but sometimes his delivery or actions appear rude.  Finally, Crofty, can someone tie his hands together, so he won't be able to speak!!! lol

Best Regards,
Cal :)

Anyone Have A Decent Pen?

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 08:56:54 PM »
It's not talk Monty, Button is part of the team.  He will pop up at some point.  Maybe they are going on a rotation system a bit like C4 used to do. 

Button had a conflicting Super GT race this weekend, I believe. It wouldn't surprise me if he got put into the Sky coverage when it's off-season in Japan, or when there are significant gaps between races.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Ian

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 12:25:32 PM »
Been lucky with the last two races, they've both been on sky1 as well. I wouldn't miss Johnny Herbert at all, certainly not missing the lead presenter on ch4, I've always thought Lee McKenzie should have been given that job, She is more knowledgeable and makes better points.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Calman

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 06:05:59 PM »
Been lucky with the last two races, they've both been on sky1 as well. I wouldn't miss Johnny Herbert at all, certainly not missing the lead presenter on ch4, I've always thought Lee McKenzie should have been given that job, She is more knowledgeable and makes better points.
As far as the Scottish crowd go, DC, Lee M & Paul Di Resta were all shockingly bad on their early roles in front of the camera.  DC appeared uncomfortable on mic, especially solo grid walks, Lee M seemed stuttery and unprepared at times and Paul Di Resta stood there like a plant of wood with a "speak button" prompt.   However, they have all hugely improved into confident presenters, of course, with an unquestionable knowledge of everything F1.

Not sure how CH4 operate these days, but I did enjoy the DC, Jake and Suzi presenting days!! (without EJ).

Best Regards,

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 07:37:36 PM »
After having Hobbo, Matchet & company, the Sky crew is pretty dismal. They are even worse when I have to watch a replay like I did with Shanghai. When I watch live I can at least watch the commentary on T&S to get some idea of what Haas is doing.

When I watch IMSA races, I mute them and listen to Radio LeMans commentary on IMSA Radio. Too bad there isn't an option like that for F1.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Calman

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 08:37:12 PM »
... compared to 10-15 years ago, when all I had access to on this side of the water, was TSN or SPEED, give me the Sky F1 Crew ANY DAY OF THE WEEK!!!

Best Regards,

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 09:34:30 PM »
Not sure how CH4 operate these days, but I did enjoy the DC, Jake and Suzi presenting days!! (without EJ).

Best Regards,

Steve Jones, David Coulthard and whoever they can get hold of (Billy Monger for the first two races - he took to it like a duck to water, Esteban Ocon in China - sorry Esteban but you looked like early Paul di Resta, and next race has EJ - David didn't look quite as enthusiastic as Steve or me about that one).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle