collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 380
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Liberty Looking at 4th Round of Quali  (Read 2176 times)

Offline cosworth151

Liberty Looking at 4th Round of Quali
« on: April 22, 2019, 11:35:10 PM »
Liberty is looking into adding a 4th round to quali. IMO, quali is one of the few things in F1 that works really well. If it's not broken, don't try to fix it!

https://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/f1-paddock-debates-merits-fourth-qualifying-round

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

Re: Liberty Looking at 4th Round of Quali
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 12:02:20 AM »
Agreed Cos,what next?
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline rmassart

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 06:53:18 AM »
20 rounds? Every two minutes the slowest get's knocked out!!!  :D

Offline Robem64

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 12:31:47 PM »
They tinkered with quali before and it was a disaster. I think it works just how it is - excitement generally all the way through until the final car crosses the line in Q3 IMO.
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline rmassart

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 02:21:09 PM »
Personally I preferred how things were back in the 80s and 90s (not sure when they changed it?).  Two equal free for all qualifying sessions, Friday and Saturday. I realise it wouldn't work in this day and age of instant gratification on Facebook (guilty as charged) as well as the largely failed attempts at cost cutting and things like Tyre choices. Despite everything (eg back markers or team mates getting in the way of others) the best still managed to get on pole most of the time.

And on the subject of tyres, I think all these tyre variants are too complicated for the casual viewer. Even I get confused by which drivers are allowed to start on which tyre depending on where they qualified in Q2. Maybe I am just getting too old...

One of the many problems for F1 is that in an attempt make it more exciting they are also making it more complex. More complexity reduces the fun of watching in my opinion and also improves the chances of the richer teams as they are able to invest in more and more complex systems whilst the poorer teams can't.

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 02:28:56 PM »
I agree rmassart.  I liked it when a driver posted a time and others simply tried to beat it. 

But the tire rules with regards to Q and which ones you can use to start are just stupid.  Let the teams develop their own strategy for tires, period. 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 04:01:08 PM »
The current qualifying was quite well thought out.  Drivers get a couple of shots per round, there's room for mistakes to shake up the grid. 

At the same time, the slower cars are generally out of the way when it comes down to deciding who is going to start on pole.

I don't mind more rounds of qualifying, but there needs to be more cars to fill them up!  Talk to me when there's 26 drivers clogging up Q1

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 04:18:21 PM »
I like Quali as it is too.  :good:

However if more runs puts some of the top teams in more jeopardy then I'm up for giving it a go. 

Only problem I have is this stupid top ten have to start on tyres used in Q2.  :crazy:
Some of the midfielders are damned either way, seek an improvement in grid position and lose to the track position undercut from those just outside the top ten who can start on what they like.

If they change to 4 part Quali they should reduce the cars forced to start on tyres already used - or better still scrap that rule altogether.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 07:08:41 PM »
20 rounds? Every two minutes the slowest get's knocked out!!!  :D

Single-driver elimination didn't work in the two races it was used in 2016 because people just did a run at the very beginning, and then only bothered going out again when they were about to be knocked out. At that, they would only if they thought they could substantially improve on their time. This meant they tended to do 3-9 laps - less running than in the 1996-2002 12-lap format, let alone the current three-session eliminator method (which requires at least 9 laps but more often has the top runners doing 15).

4 sessions is not so bad but I think at least one session would turn into a formality most races. This sometimes happens now (witness Q1 in China, where you just had to be the last non-Williams to set a time to go through, removing most of the drama). I'm not sure if there would be any true jeopordy for the top teams unless one session had 7 or fewer entrants (and in that case, we'd probably see more strategic non-completions of Q3 because of the big advantage of a fresh set of tyres and the reduced advantage of being in the next session).

If the 4-session eliminator happened, I assume that to avoid perverse incentives, only those doing Q4 have to start on old tyres (namely, the ones on which they set their Q3 time).

Fortunately, there is apparently only one team interested in the system, which means it is unlikely to get the necessary approvals to be adopted. Expect the current system to stay.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle