collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 355
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Hero’s & Zero’s Baku  (Read 5108 times)

Offline Scott

Hero’s & Zero’s Baku
« on: April 28, 2019, 11:20:19 PM »
Heroes

Bottas, for not caving into any discussions there may have been about letting Lewis past.  Aside from losing some pace near the end, it was his race from green to checker.

Lewis for keeping him honest.  Vettel for keeping Lewis honest.  I wonder why Lewis didn’t find that last bit of blistering pace 5 laps earlier and he could have overtaken Bottas.

Max for staying out of trouble.

Stroll for surprising everyone and not only finishing, but in the points.

Zeroes

Ferrari for having boring, conservative strategies.  A little imagination and foresight could have kept Leclerc in a competitive position and allowed him to fight for more than the FL point.  I don’t think a one stopper was competitive today.

Renault couldn’t turn it on today and DR’s retirement was simply embarrassing.  He may wish he joined Alfa Instead of Renault.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 11:21:53 PM by Scott »

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Hero’s & Zero’s Baku
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 02:10:07 AM »
Race Fans has an interview with Lewis in which he implies that he let Bottas win by being "too friendly" to Bottas in turn 1 at the start. Presumably this means he could have forced Bottas into the wall or at the very least forced him to back off and give the corner to Hamilton. He did say Valterri drove a perfect race while Baku has always been problematic  for Lewis.Makes Lewis sound a bit like Max to me.
Lonny

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 06:35:00 AM »
Heroes

Gasly - Brilliant run to P6 from the pitlane, maximised the car's potential... ...until the car went on strike near home.

Perez - "Best of the rest" run was quietly brilliant. This was as good as either of his podiums in Baku, but obscured by the fact that this was an unusually low-chaos race up front.

Leclerc - I maintain that if Ferrari had not tried using him as a blocker, he'd have been 3rd, or possibly higher, despite making a complete hash of Turn 8 in qualifying.

Zeroes

Whoever manages the drain covers - Williams wants a word with you, for good reason.

Ferrari strategists - Once again producing a strategy that only helps rivals, and worse than usual on this occasion because it relied on DRS being considerably less effective than it was ever going to be. Sending someone on a "block" strategy (which appears to be why Leclerc wasn't permitted to pit when his mediums started fading, let alone why he wasn't given a second set of them when he had them available) only works in a situation where significant blocking is plausible. Ferrari has two good drivers but they're still bound by physics. Note: even then, Charles managed to impede the Mercedes nearly enough that Seb could join the party.

Riccardo - Perhaps a rear parking sensor is in order?
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

guest3164

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 07:26:18 AM »
Heroes:

Bottas- Drove a great race and regardless of what Hamilton said, he could do little to get past him.

Leclerc- I think he is clearly Ferrari's fastest driver but is being hampered by poor strategies. 

McLaren- Rather quietly they have put together a decent car which appears faster than the factory Renault.

Zeroes-

Baku Circuit- drain covers and low bridges were unfortunate incidents, they need to sort that out to prevent a repeat next year. 

Ferrari- Shocking strategies yet again.  Do not treat Leclerc like a second class driver when he is so fast at the moment.

Renault- Not sure what is happening with them, neither driver is confident in the car and McLaren look faster.

Williams/Kubica- Poor not knowing the rules on pitlane start times by the team.  I am fast losing patience hearing Robert moan about the team, pity he didn't move to one of the many other teams chasing him.  Oh...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 09:31:53 AM »
I think Ferrari, after testing, thought they had a clear advantage over Mercedes and were shocked to discover Merc had been sandbagging. I don't think Ferrari has recovered. This makes 2 races they've left LeClerc out on rubbish tires to help Vettel who couldn't go fast enough to take advantage. What a waste.
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 03:49:00 PM »
I missed the first part of the race due to that most dreaded of four letter words - Work - but here are a few additions:

Winners:

McLaren & Racing Point - Both came home with double points hauls.

Losers:

Baku Circuit - Popping manhole covers, crane collisions, taking way too long to repair barriers. Hopefully they'll do better next year.

Danny Ric - One of my favorites but he's definitely looking rattled.

Haas - The less said, the better.  :'(
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline rmassart

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 05:23:17 PM »
Just wondering why RBR didn't pit Verstappen for fresh tires once Leclerc had done so to aim for the fastest lap?  Didn't they think he could match Leclerc's time? Surely it's worth a shot. I realise pit stops are always a risk, but Leclerc was like +30s behind after his pitstop. Worth doing in my opinion. Maybe they were hoping for a last minute issue for the top 3?

Offline Dare

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 09:31:16 PM »
Starting to look like Kubica should have stayed
out of F1.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 09:31:40 PM »
Just wondering why RBR didn't pit Verstappen for fresh tires once Leclerc had done so to aim for the fastest lap?  Didn't they think he could match Leclerc's time? Surely it's worth a shot. I realise pit stops are always a risk, but Leclerc was like +30s behind after his pitstop. Worth doing in my opinion. Maybe they were hoping for a last minute issue for the top 3?

Especially since Ferrari helpfully pitted Leclerc a lap earlier than necessary, which not only endangered his fastest-lap attempt but also gave an opportunity for Verstappen to pit the lap afterwards and still attempt the fastest lap on the final tour. Well, I suppose it's good that Ferrari does not hold a total monopoly on squandering tactics  :fool:
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 02:12:31 AM »
Starting to look like Kubica should have stayed
out of F1.

How many 'if only' have we seen in racing, and sports as a whole, over our lifetimes?  If Kubica didn't come back to F1, he'd be haunted by the chance he never took.

I agree the Kubica experiment has proved to be a failure, but I'm glad it happened.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2019, 02:14:36 AM »
I think Ferrari, after testing, thought they had a clear advantage over Mercedes and were shocked to discover Merc had been sandbagging. I don't think Ferrari has recovered. This makes 2 races they've left LeClerc out on rubbish tires to help Vettel who couldn't go fast enough to take advantage. What a waste.

I don't think Mercedes was sandbagging.  I think their car was slower, and they used the data gathered in testing to build a better car.  Conversely Ferrari had the fastest car in testing and figured that was good enough.

Offline Dare

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2019, 04:22:00 AM »
Maybe Ferrari should have retained  Arrivabene? He
made the fatal mistake of Letting Kimi take a pole and
win a race
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Monty

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2019, 08:33:10 AM »
How many 'if only' have we seen in racing, and sports as a whole, over our lifetimes?  If Kubica didn't come back to F1, he'd be haunted by the chance he never took.

I agree the Kubica experiment has proved to be a failure, but I'm glad it happened.

Spot on Jeri and all credit to Williams for giving him a chance. Personally, I always felt it was a mistake. It has robbed a more current/talented driver of a seat and it has restricted Williams from learning what is wrong with their car. Even if they had put DiResta in the car they would at least of been getting valuable comparative feedback. Now possibly the best thing they could do is find a pay-driver for the rest of the year to help finance the required development.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2019, 02:04:09 PM »

Spot on Jeri and all credit to Williams for giving him a chance. Personally, I always felt it was a mistake. It has robbed a more current/talented driver of a seat and it has restricted Williams from learning what is wrong with their car. Even if they had put DiResta in the car they would at least of been getting valuable comparative feedback. Now possibly the best thing they could do is find a pay-driver for the rest of the year to help finance the required development.

That's all well and good but Kubica is a pay driver, so how you gonna gain any advantage they'd simply use the new block of money to pay off Robert's backers.  :crazy:
Also hard to see anyone else putting up even enough for that with the present Williams car.

I think we'll see Robert aiding Williams development once they get their factory systems back running properly, you don't suddenly lose your racing set-up brain because of physical injury.

As usual the team says it knows where most of the car's deficiencies are, how the hell you fix em is totally unknown territory.  ::)
Not sure even Adrian Newey's special talents could do much for the Grove set up at the moment.  :(
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Monty

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2019, 03:10:37 PM »
I know Robert brought some money but I didn't think it was 'big' money like Lance Stroll was providing??
My point about his inability to help development relates to the fact that he has no current knowledge of recent F1 cars (or any aero cars). Of course he will learn but a current development driver or even the likes of Jolyon Palmer, Paul DiResta, etc. could have given much more useful feedback.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle