collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 386
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Zandvoort set to replace Barcelona on 2020 calendar  (Read 5291 times)

Offline Monty

Zandvoort set to replace Barcelona on 2020 calendar
« on: April 30, 2019, 04:39:59 PM »
https://www.planetf1.com/news/zandvoort-to-replace-barcelona-on-2020-calendar/

Did a track day there many, many years ago. My memory would suggest that it would not be suitable for current F1 cars but perhaps they have made some changes??

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Zandvoort set to replace Barcelona on 2020 calendar
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 04:56:44 PM »
It's not only the track that needs an upgrade Monty, the roads and infrastructure around Zandvoort will find it hard to cope with mammoth crowds associated with F1.
In Bernie's time he was always trying to penalise Silverstone for the poor access highways and rough conditions for fans at track.
My prediction is that this will be the same chaos for Holland as the first year at COTA for the USGP. 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 08:49:55 PM »
Given false information about Silverstone's status got spread by the same ultimate source (Motor Sport network provided the sourcing information for both tracks, and Italy, today), I'm dubious as to how much faith to put into this one.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 10:51:33 AM »
Really?  Barcelona is a great track, with fantastic facilities and easy access and 10’s of thousands hotel beds in close range.  I am skeptical that Alonso’s retirement will have any significant impact on the ticket sales. 

2020 is a bit rushed...do they want to get a race set up before Max’s fan base gets tarnished?
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 10:55:32 AM »
There also maybe a complicating factor to any Zandvoort deal, it's rumoured that Spa holds a clause in it's contract about competing races in the Benelux countries.

Andre Mas, promoter of the Belgian GP at Spa Francorchamps is quoted thus in the La Derniere Heure newspaper "The grand prix of the Netherlands? It's far from being done."

According to the paper he could be referring to a supposed clause in the Belgian GP contract that relates to competition from another promoter within the Benelux region,
- or maybe he just has other information about the situation.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 02:41:51 PM »
Really?  Barcelona is a great track, with fantastic facilities and easy access and 10’s of thousands hotel beds in close range.  I am skeptical that Alonso’s retirement will have any significant impact on the ticket sales. 

2020 is a bit rushed...do they want to get a race set up before Max’s fan base gets tarnished?

The part where Madrid is increasingly reluctant to give funds to the Catalonia area following that little independence bid last year is more likely to be a factor...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 02:35:39 AM »
Here is an animation of an in car view of the new layout including 2 banked corners. Looks like passing will be tough.

Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 05:30:06 PM »
It's not only the track that needs an upgrade Monty, the roads and infrastructure around Zandvoort will find it hard to cope with mammoth crowds associated with F1.
In Bernie's time he was always trying to penalise Silverstone for the poor access highways and rough conditions for fans at track.
My prediction is that this will be the same chaos for Holland as the first year at COTA for the USGP.

The Montreal Grand Prix is inaccessible by car, you can only arrive by foot or public transportation.  Given that Europe is far better at public transit than Canada is, surely a lack of automobile access is a trivial problem if you can run a train line or bus route there.

(When I found out that Circuit Gilles Villeneuve was only accessible by a single train station, I envisioned hours of waiting around.  Nope.  Once I arrived at the train station, it only took about 10 minutes before I was on the subway heading for my lodgings)

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 12:52:44 PM »
The Montreal Grand Prix is inaccessible by car, you can only arrive by foot or public transportation.  Given that Europe is far better at public transit than Canada is, surely a lack of automobile access is a trivial problem if you can run a train line or bus route there.

Many Europeans expect to take their camping gear to races, to save on hotel fees. That's not practical on the typical small-seated, small-luggage-racked train or even smaller bus. Of course, doing this when visiting a big vibrant city like Quebec, with many hotels at (from what I hear) relatively good prices, would be silly - regardless of how generous the public transport is! (Monaco and Monza, both close to or in cities, have a larger proportion of public transport users).

Also, not all European tracks have good public transport. Liberty is trying to improve this with its free buses, but not everyone is used to their presence or necessarily wants to use them. Elsewhere, quality of paid public transport ranges from the aforementioned Monaco and Monza (both have their own train station with regular services), through Hungary (great train service... ...but only goes 2.5 miles away up a huge hill) to Silverstone (the hourly bus service that usually runs is suspended for the weekend due to traffic, and the nearest train is 14 miles away). Planning prevents most improvements.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2019, 06:00:16 PM »
The city is Montreal, which is in the province of Quebec, which is about 7x as large as the entire UK.... :swoon:

There is a city also called Quebec, but it doesn’t host the GP.

Carry on...

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2019, 06:04:11 PM »
Speaking from my own visits, Monza and Barcelona do a pretty decent job of getting fans from inexpensive hotels downtown to the tracks.  Usually a bit of a hike at the end, but I kind of like a twenty minute or so walk to the track...helps build the anticipation.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2019, 08:40:51 PM »
The city is Montreal, which is in the province of Quebec, which is about 7x as large as the entire UK.... :swoon:

Carry on...

I'd love to see an F1 demo at Carnaval! We've seen test runs of F1 cars on ice. 

What about a short Winter F1 series: a race at Carnaval in Quebec, one in Finland, and a third in Green Bay Wisconsin?  I'm sure Jacques Villeneuve Sr (Gilles' brother), Kimi and Mika would be on board!

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2019, 09:47:05 PM »

Carry on...

I should have known better than to make that error   :fool: Thank you for correcting me, Jeri!

I approve of the Winter Grand Prix plan Scott produced.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle