collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 417
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Interlagos to be dropped from 2020 calendar  (Read 2345 times)

Offline Monty

Interlagos to be dropped from 2020 calendar
« on: May 09, 2019, 10:26:06 AM »
.....and replaced by another Hermann Tilke track in Rio! And he is designing the Vietnam circuit. Surely he should have learnt how to make an interesting track by now!!!

Offline Ian

Re: Interlagos to be dropped from 2020 calendar
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 11:28:53 AM »
That's criminal Monty, Interlagos IMO is one of the greatest, mostly throws a curve into the race.  :nono:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

guest3164

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 11:45:47 AM »
Interlagos is a classic race track, I will be really saddened to see it lost to some new, soulless circuit.  Yes, it is dated and probably a money pit, but F1 isn't short for a bob or two, just the distribution is poor all around.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 12:49:47 PM »
Sad to hear the news, another iconic track lost.  :(

As usual when government money required to put on a race the feast is always going to be movable.

I'm sure however the dated facilities and security issues that go with the Interlagos track will probably not be missed by the Teams.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 02:48:09 PM »
I really hoped that Tilke would be gone when Bernie left. What a terrible shame.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 03:01:29 PM »
Sad to hear the news, another iconic track lost.  :(

As usual when government money required to put on a race the feast is always going to be movable.

I'm sure however the dated facilities and security issues that go with the Interlagos track will probably not be missed by the Teams.

Somtimes a good track is just in a bad place.  (And of course, we have bad tracks in good places)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 10:06:50 PM »
I know they were trying to get rid of Interlagos due to Bernie getting a freebie contract with it, but I'm not sure it will mutely accept this transition unless it's getting compensated for the lost event. Has Liberty accounted for this?

Rio has no track at the moment (its track was lost in the Rio 2016 construction). Any word on if it will be built in time? (Having a named constructor isn't an answer on its own, not when matters like funding and planning permissions are involved).

Also, Hermann Tilke may be involved, but his son now does a lot of the Tilke development, so we may see a different version of the family vision here than in previous Tilkedromes.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline lkjohnson1950

Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 10:47:40 PM »
Hopefully that will give the folks down there enough time to replace the President before he can replace Interlagos.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle