collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 329
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Legal Problems for Haas Title Sponsor  (Read 3331 times)

Offline cosworth151

Legal Problems for Haas Title Sponsor
« on: May 15, 2019, 03:16:02 PM »
Rich Energy, title sponsor of the Haas F1 team, has lost a legal battle over its trademark. The judge even singled out F1 in her ruling.

UK-based Whyte Bikes brought the case against Rich Energy as it claimed the energy drinks company had copied its stag logo, which the bike manufacturer had created in December 2008.

In the introduction to her decision, Her Honor Judge Melissa Clarke stated: “What is sought, amongst other things, is an injunction which would require the removal of the logo of the First Defendant, Rich Energy Limited, from the Formula 1 race car and website of the Rich Energy Haas Formula 1 motor racing team.”

I was a big fan of Super Aguri. Their downfall was hastened when their main sponsor, SS United Group, ran afoul of the legal system. I hope history doesn't repeat itself.

https://racer.com/2019/05/14/haas-title-sponsor-rich-energy-loses-court-case-over-logo/

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Legal Problems for Haas Title Sponsor
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 04:21:55 PM »
What's more worrying for Haas must be getting paid at all, have you ever seen or heard of anyone drinking a can of Rich Energy?  ;)
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 04:40:10 PM »
Create a new logo, move on.

I have no idea what Rich Energy is, or what they're trying to convey with a deer as a logo.  When I think of deer I think of timid or prey.  I doubt the title sponsor of an F1 team is trying to produce an image of timidity. 

I doubt Rich Energy intended to copy anyone, but I agree they did.  I think that they should just be allowed to use a new logo with no further punishment.

guest3164

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 05:03:48 PM »
In Britain where Rich Energy are from, the Stag is a noble beast so I think RE are trying to portray that image.  Something proud and emblematic.  However, their logo was clearly a rip off and the brand just has something fishy about it.  I am glad Williams dodged that bullet. 

One might also say the Stag, like the Red Bull logo, is a horny beast, but that has other connotations altogether  :DD

Online Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 08:13:05 PM »
In Britain where Rich Energy are from, the Stag is a noble beast so I think RE are trying to portray that image.  Something proud and emblematic.  However, their logo was clearly a rip off and the brand just has something fishy about it.  I am glad Williams dodged that bullet. 

One might also say the Stag, like the Red Bull logo, is a horny beast, but that has other connotations altogether  :DD

The most famous stag in North America is Bambi and... that name generally does not connote anyone noble.  :-*

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 08:18:05 PM »
Few towns of any size in the States don't have an Elks Lodge. And then, of course, there are "stag parties." BTW, Stag Party was the original name that Hugh Hefner picked for his mag. When he ran into trademark issues, he changed it to Playboy.

The less said about the Triumph Stag, the better.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 09:34:33 PM »
New logo, pay the lawyers and move on.  Use the head of Ritchie Rich for all I care.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online Dare

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 01:37:53 AM »
Few towns of any size in the States don't have an Elks Lodge. And then, of course, there are "stag parties." BTW, Stag Party was the original name that Hugh Hefner picked for his mag. When he ran into trademark issues, he changed it to Playboy.

The less said about the Triumph Stag, the better.

Don't forget the Moose Lodge
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Online Dare

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 01:39:34 AM »
What's more worrying for Haas must be getting paid at all, have you ever seen or heard of anyone drinking a can of Rich Energy?  ;)

Couldn't be any worse than Red Bull.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 06:29:12 AM »
Create a new logo, move on.

I have no idea what Rich Energy is, or what they're trying to convey with a deer as a logo.  When I think of deer I think of timid or prey.  I doubt the title sponsor of an F1 team is trying to produce an image of timidity. 

Male deer (and it must be male, with those antlers) in rutting season are notoriously aggressive and feisty, because they fight each other for does. If they weren't going for the "noble and British" angle, that's what Rich Energy will have been trying to do.

A new logo presents no problems whatsoever for Haas, it's only Rich Energy that needs to do anything. And if they weren't paying, then they'd have stopped paying before this (SS Energy did one payment at the start of 2007 and not thereafter).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 04:01:25 PM »
I remember Paul Stoddard putting "Not Paid" stickers across the logo of one of Minardi's sponsors that missed payments. I think it was at Suzuka in 2003.

I really miss him!
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2019, 10:18:18 AM »
Stoddard was a great F1 character.  So sad he has never made it back to the grid.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle