collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 366
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Fatal F2 crash - trying to make sense of what took place  (Read 2073 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Fatal F2 crash - trying to make sense of what took place
« on: September 03, 2019, 02:01:35 PM »
Warning Explicit Crash scenes towards end of Youtube Video

I am putting this video up as it gives us all a much better insight into what went on leading up to the Fatal crash on Saturday at Spa. (The poster on YouTube has included animation and actual footage to give a much clearer understanding of what took place). I have gained a much better understanding of what happened from this video, however I leave others to draw their own conclusions.

It seems Giuliano Alesi, gets into trouble in Eau Rouge because of a puncture triggering a chain reaction.
We don’t know what caused the puncture. It’s possible that debris was the fault of someone else, there was some contact between Mick Schumacher and Nicholas Latifi in the La Source hairpin.
After the puncture on the left side, Alesi crests the hill above Eau Rouge, spins and spills pieces of carbon fibre across the track. We then see the rear wing of Alesi’s car fly across the road. Ralph Boschung is the first driver to reach the scene of the accident (the creator of the youtube video is aware that they mistook Ralph for Dorian Boccolacci). The Swiss driver moves to the right into the tamac run-off, taking his foot off the pedal to slow down.
Meanwhile Hubert has yet to reach the top of the crest and is completely unaware of the incident in time, eventually seeing the slower Boschung, and pulls to the right but still makes minor contact on the front wing, completely unloading the front axle. Hubert hits tyre wall hard and rebounds into the tarmac run off. At that moment, Correa appears on this line at full throttle, noticing too late to do anything apart from hit the pink chassis of Hubert.

Looks like Correa was a passenger just as much as Hubert in this horrific incident, not sure any driver can have blame attached to them.

Could old fashioned gravel have stopped Hubert rebounding so much, should the tyre barrier engulf more rather than allowing the bounce, should Eau Rouge be slowed a bit by putting some of the curve back into it?  All questions for the FIA to answer in the inquiry.   

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

Re: Fatal F2 crash - trying to make sense of what took place
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 04:44:23 PM »
I also came across that video and another on thejudge. 

There is probably nothing that could have really prevented it with the current track configuration.

Of your suggestions, I would lean towards a barrier type that smothers the car, not allowing for a rebound.  Another option is a much wider tarmac area at that blind point to both make it much more unlikely that a car would rebound so close to the racing line, along with giving drivers a bit more room to play with if they come across something in their path. 

I hope they don’t actually slow the cars with more of a curve, Eu Rouge is so much of what Spa is about.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle