collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 381
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Seb's Penalty not the only F1 Drama at Canadian GP  (Read 2415 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Seb's Penalty not the only F1 Drama at Canadian GP
« on: June 13, 2019, 01:59:46 PM »
Lewis being able to start to the race was 'touch and go' overnight according to admissions now from Merc.

Whilst we all knew there was some kind of hydraulic issue and Mercedes was finalising a fix on the start grid, very few knew how big the problem was.
Not sure I could have slept overnight before the race with the big question unanswered - will the car make the grid?  :swoon:

https://f1i.com/news/344318-mercedes-reveals-cause-of-hydraulic-leak-on-hamiltons-w10.html

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

Re: Seb's Penalty not the only F1 Drama at Canadian GP
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 03:40:23 PM »
Lewis being able to start to the race was 'touch and go' overnight according to admissions now from Merc.

Whilst we all knew there was some kind of hydraulic issue and Mercedes was finalising a fix on the start grid, very few knew how big the problem was.
Not sure I could have slept overnight before the race with the big question unanswered - will the car make the grid?  :swoon:

https://f1i.com/news/344318-mercedes-reveals-cause-of-hydraulic-leak-on-hamiltons-w10.html

Part of being a champion driver is learning to control what you can, trust your team to do their job, and not worry about things that are out of your control.  I'm willing to bet that Hamilton could cast the doubt out and sleep as though he was going to start.

The mechanics doing the work and strategists who needed plans to guide a car that might fall apart at any second?  I'm sure they were a nervous wreck.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 08:28:13 PM »
I'm sure that every little noise in the car sounded very ominous. That makes for a very long day.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 11:20:26 PM »
The fact that Hamilton could miss a few races and still
win the WDC has to help his demeanor
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 01:08:56 AM »
Just make him more cocky. There is no doubt that Hamilton/Mercedes is the best combo on the grid. Is he the best driver? Hard to say what Seb, Danny, Max could do in a Merc. Merc is certainly the best team. They have consistently fielded the car with the best combination of power and handling over the last several seasons. When they hit a problem, they always find a way to stay in front. If Honda continues their remarkable improvement, Max may be able to threaten them by year's end. I am most impressed with the progress Honda has made in power and reliability. For me that's the real story this season.
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 03:33:15 AM »
Just make him more cocky. There is no doubt that Hamilton/Mercedes is the best combo on the grid. Is he the best driver? Hard to say what Seb, Danny, Max could do in a Merc. Merc is certainly the best team. They have consistently fielded the car with the best combination of power and handling over the last several seasons. When they hit a problem, they always find a way to stay in front. If Honda continues their remarkable improvement, Max may be able to threaten them by year's end. I am most impressed with the progress Honda has made in power and reliability. For me that's the real story this season.

Always hard to pick the 'best driver'.  I would make the case that Lewis is the best driver on the grid right now.  He rises to the occasion and puts in 'perfect laps' like no one racing right now.  He's not making the mental mistakes.  He's not overly aggressive, he's not driving conservatively.  We can argue about driving skills, but there's no one with the fortitude that Hamilton has.

Certainly Max is developing into a great driver, adding maturity and patience to his daring attitude.  I wasn't sure if he'd develop into a champion, but I think he might.

Similarly, LeClerc has shown he belongs at Ferrari, which means he's a championship calibre driver.  Having a rough season, dealing with bad luck and team troubles will teach him a lot.  If he's willing to learn, this season is going to be the foundation of his championship years.

Vettel has the skill.  Always able to find a little bit extra from his car, always able to find a little bit extra from the track.  He just never seems to be reliable when the pressure is on.  Not to say he hasn't put in clutch drives where he manufactured a win, he just doesn't do it as well as others.

Further down the grid, Perez, Hulkenburg, Ricciardo, they've shown they could win with the right opportunity, and while it takes luck to get those opportunities, it also takes a certain championship drive to sniff out and seize those opportunities.

Of course, Kimi is something else entirely.  He is the embodiment of F1 racing.  He doesn't have the killer instinct of a champion, but he has the soul of a racer, more so than anyone else on the grid.  (If fate had been kinder, maybe Kubica)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle