collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 343
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Marko hits out at perceived Mercedes bias  (Read 3657 times)

Offline Monty

Marko hits out at perceived Mercedes bias
« on: June 13, 2019, 12:39:10 PM »
https://www.planetf1.com/news/marko-hits-out-at-perceived-mercedes-bias/

What an a*se! No wonder he gets on so well with Vertsappen - they both talk rubbish and think everything is someone else's fault!
This is possibly the most outrageous thing I have heard from a team principal. He is questioning the integrity of Mercedes, Liberty and the Stewards. Why on earth would any of them (especially the stewards) favour Mercedes?

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Marko hits out at perceived Mercedes bias
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 02:18:28 PM »
I suggest one of the reasons for stupid outburst like this is the total lack of respect for the Stewards by Vettel, and other drivers over the years, aided and abetted by team Principals/members like Marko.

In Footy/Rugby/Cricket/Tennis and most other organised sports the authorities come down hard on Players and Team Managers/members who publicly criticise referees/umpires decisions.

Isn't it time for the FIA to get behind the Stewards and shut down these tantrums from drivers and team members? After all it's the FIA who give the Stewards the rulebook to work with.
As far as I know the rule book makes no distinction for intentional & unintentional unsafe return to the track. Had the Stewards not issued a penalty this could have left the subject open to appeal by Mercedes and Lewis as Vettel clearly left the track and returned in an unsafe manner. Yes and he gained a lasting advantage as well.     
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Monty

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 03:10:50 PM »
^^^^^^  :good:

Online Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 03:37:17 PM »
I suggest one of the reasons for stupid outburst like this is the total lack of respect for the Stewards by Vettel, and other drivers over the years, aided and abetted by team Principals/members like Marko.

In Footy/Rugby/Cricket/Tennis and most other organised sports the authorities come down hard on Players and Team Managers/members who publicly criticise referees/umpires decisions.

Isn't it time for the FIA to get behind the Stewards and shut down these tantrums from drivers and team members? After all it's the FIA who give the Stewards the rulebook to work with.
As far as I know the rule book makes no distinction for intentional & unintentional unsafe return to the track. Had the Stewards not issued a penalty this could have left the subject open to appeal by Mercedes and Lewis as Vettel clearly left the track and returned in an unsafe manner. Yes and he gained a lasting advantage as well.     

I agree that the participants need to be respectful of the officials.

The one problem F1 has compared with other sports is that the 'team radio' is broadcast publicly, and the drivers must be allowed to speak openly and honestly there.  While some drivers are putting on a show, anything they say on team radio would have to be excused from the 'respect' rules.  Once they're out of the car, any criticism must be behind closed doors, or be willing to pay the fine.  (I have seen coaches happily pay the penalty to voice their concerns)

Online cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 08:32:10 PM »
Most of the major league "stick & ball sports" over here in the States have a  tradition of "playing the officials." Complain loudly about some marginal call, even if you really know it was correct,  in hopes of making the official think twice about the next one.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 09:26:56 PM »
Cos is right about that. They even admit it. I think it's great in F1 that people say what they think. Marko is an idiot, Lewis is a whiner, everybody knows this and takes what they say with a grain of salt. NASCAR is losing fans because (among other things) the teams are so careful about what they say. For me racing is more interesting with guys like A J Foyt and Tony Stewart who say what they think organizers be damned. Drivers and crew who might throw a punch if you poked 'em with a stick. Compared to the 60's and 70's these guys are pretty tame and bland.
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 12:48:12 PM »
I think you’re right Lonny.  In a sense it’s too bad the FIA can’t really respond to a moron like Marko, but I’m glad he can say it, and know that nobody but his boss gives a damn what he says. 

That said, there should be a civil court route if what Marko is saying is libelous towards Pirelli.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Andy B

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2019, 04:41:07 AM »
I'm sure Marko will be saying soon that if Mercedes keep winning then RB's will leave F1.
There's a lot of radio chatter that we do not get to hear in fact I expect we  hear hardly any of it so who decides what is broadcast and what is not? I read the other day that LH's use of the radio is because he wants to win and leave nothing to chance as in wanting to know why things are happening or why they are not and being a five time WC it obviously works for him.
Have Mercedes got an unfair advantage? Did Ferrari or Red Bull when they were winning and what about McLaren winning 15 from 16 in 1988 did they have an unfair advantage? I'm sure the Mercedes bubble will burst at some point and then it'll be someone else turn
and we'll never go back to the days when there was a different winner at every race that is all confined to history.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline rmassart

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2019, 07:04:35 AM »
I sometimes think the Mercedes bubble will only burst when another team manages to poach one of their senior engineer geniuses.

Newey basically designed the winning cars of the late 90s, first with Williams then McLaren.  Brawn and Byrne covered the mid 90s (Benetton) and then the early 00s (Ferrari). Then it was Newey again in the late 00s (RadBull) and since then Mercedes where Allison is in charge. Maybe Ferrari need to concentrate on snatching Allison from Mercedes?

Offline Willy

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 03:15:22 PM »
Marko is an idiot.
Vettel clearly got control then steered towards the wall to squeeze Hamilton. The onboard camera captured all hand and wheel movement in Vettel's car.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2019, 07:54:55 PM »
Marko is an idiot.
Vettel clearly got control then steered towards the wall to squeeze Hamilton. The onboard camera captured all hand and wheel movement in Vettel's car.

Ferrari had Allison between 2013 & 16 but he had to give it up because his wife died and he needed to be based in Britain for his kids sake.
Not much chance of James returning to Maranello anytime soon, it's not just a question of money or seniority.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2019, 10:18:54 PM »
Marko is an idiot.

You can also hear he was back on the power coming off the grass.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline sprite

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2019, 05:22:48 AM »
Marko is an idiot.
Vettel has prior's for this type of driving, ask Mark Webber. Didn't the FIA change the rule about change of direction off the start line due to Vettel making multiple moves?

Ferrari had Allison between 2013 & 16 but he had to give it up because his wife died and he needed to be based in Britain for his kids sake.
Not much chance of James returning to Maranello anytime soon, it's not just a question of money or seniority.

Offline rmassart

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2019, 05:40:36 AM »

I didn't know that, sad to hear, I assume it was a while ago now.

My point on the design engineers is that to me it seems the success of teams is far more tuned to specific engineers than anything else (and of course the funding to support their work).

Fun fact: Newey studied the same course as me at the same university, only a few years earlier.  Now where did I go wrong???

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2019, 07:48:07 PM »
Most of the major league "stick & ball sports" over here in the States have a  tradition of "playing the officials." Complain loudly about some marginal call, even if you really know it was correct,  in hopes of making the official think twice about the next one.

Which thankfully doesn't work in F1 since at least three (usually four) out of the four stewards are different between one race and the next, stewards' decisions require a consensus of all 4 people and F1 races are a small part of a stewards' portfolio (meaning that even if they make a pig's ear of a race and everyone agrees they must never come back, they'll still have plenty of work in more appreciative series).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle