collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 150
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16139 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12978 Posts
John S John S
11249 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: IndyCar's New Areoscreen  (Read 2524 times)

Offline cosworth151

IndyCar's New Areoscreen
« on: July 03, 2019, 04:46:18 PM »
The Aeroscreen will be IndyCar's new safety device. On Dallara's simulator, it looks a lot like an F1 Halo. In real life, it will have a Plexiglas (perspex on the other side of the pond) glazing over it.

I'm not a fan of it. IndyCar finally shed its fenders and became open wheel again. Now they want to go (almost) closed cockpit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=HLnNkiL7-QY

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

Re: IndyCar's New Areoscreen
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 03:29:14 PM »
The Aeroscreen will be IndyCar's new safety device. On Dallara's simulator, it looks a lot like an F1 Halo. In real life, it will have a Plexiglas (perspex on the other side of the pond) glazing over it.

I'm not a fan of it. IndyCar finally shed its fenders and became open wheel again. Now they want to go (almost) closed cockpit.

I can only assume there are some very nervous insurance executives behind the halo and the aeroscreen.

I agree that saving the lives of drivers is important, so I can't really fault the series for coming up with bizarre solutions. I assume that helmets were once seen with scorn, or the enclosed cockpit, the blazing hot firesuits.

I mostly find it curious that F1 and Indycar came to different conclusions on how to solve basically the same problem.

I know that IndyCar likes to keep separate from the FIA, and I don't blame them, but since both series need to consider cost cutting, I'd like to see more harmony between them.  Maybe cooperating on safety designs makes sense instead of doing the research twice and not comparing notes?

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 03:39:04 PM »
I don’t see Indy and F1 collaborating on much before one of them owns the other. 

I don’t mind the design, nor do I mind the halo.  Indy is more dangerous than modern F1, and particularly when a car gets airborne and touches the catch fence on an oval.  I don’t know if the design can help with that or if it will just become more bits flying around waiting to impale or dismember someone.  I hope not.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 06:38:10 PM »

I can only assume there are some very nervous insurance executives behind the halo and the aeroscreen.

I agree that saving the lives of drivers is important, so I can't really fault the series for coming up with bizarre solutions. I assume that helmets were once seen with scorn, or the enclosed cockpit, the blazing hot firesuits.

I mostly find it curious that F1 and Indycar came to different conclusions on how to solve basically the same problem.

I know that IndyCar likes to keep separate from the FIA, and I don't blame them, but since both series need to consider cost cutting, I'd like to see more harmony between them.  Maybe cooperating on safety designs makes sense instead of doing the research twice and not comparing notes?

I think you'll find IndyCar has piggybacked on designs done for F1, Red Bull particularly put time and effort into the Screen rather than the Halo. 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 01:13:46 AM »
I assume that helmets were once seen with scorn,

Sir Sterling Moss told the story of when he told his father that he wanted to race. His father asked if he was going to wear a "crash hat."  Sir Sterling responded, "That would be a bit sissy."

Dan Gurney got much the same reaction when he introduced the full face helmet to the Indy 500. He wore one of Roy Richter's Bell Moto Star helmets in the 1968 race. Of course, it was all black.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle