collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 377
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: French GP Heroes & Zeroes  (Read 4298 times)

Offline cosworth151

French GP Heroes & Zeroes
« on: June 23, 2019, 04:04:37 PM »
Heroes -

Lando Norris: Drove a great race. I think he could have finished better if the team would have let him pass Sainz. He got shoved wide on the last lap by DannyRic & dropped 3 places. The stewards are looking at it. He well deserved his win in the Driver of the Day vote.

McLaren: Good to see them up toward the front again. -1 for not letting Lando use DRS to get around Carlos.

Hamilton: Walked away with the weekend yet again. He almost took it all. I thought the VSC at the end was going to take away Seb's shot at a dash for FL on fresh tires.

Zeroes -

Haas: Continuing their march for Best of the Rest to Worst of the Lot. As a Haas fan, it breaks my heart.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Willy

Re: French GP Heroes & Zeroes
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 08:47:45 PM »
Heroes
Hamilton has to be 1st as he once again is the best of the best this year.
Norris: showing he has what it takes to be up there with those guys and as long as the MACCA suits the track...
Leclerc: showing he can beat Vettel anytime.
DannyRic: givin' it his all.
Zeros
Macca: No DRS for Lando to pass Carlos??? Come on...
Paul Ricard circuit: Reasonably boring track
This Stupid Fastest Lap Point: don't like this as it is just extra points for those who are not able to win but can look like they are having a decent season when the books are done.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 10:22:06 PM »
Heroes

Norris: I didn't think he'd finished, but he kept his cool and got two points out of that situation.

Hamilton: His indomitable streak continues.

Albon: A couple of neat and tidy passes and a generally neat race.

Honourable mention: Riccardo and Leclerc. It didn't pay off for either of them (for different reasons, but at least they tried to make things interesting at the end.

Zeroes:

DRS: Way too powerful, and to me the main reason there was so little overtaking in the race.

Pit entry chicane: Its tightness meant the pit lane had to be much slower than usual, which took out any meaningful strategy variation. It is the other reason there was so little overtaking in the race.

Grosjean: Going off-track was bad enough, but the cherry on top was when he tried blaming Riccard for his own trek across the blue.

Dishonourable mentions: Gasly looked lost. Literally and metaphorically. I worry for him. I also want to nominate Norris' hydraulic system, for taking some of the reward Norris deserved from him.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 01:11:26 AM »
The tires. Pirelli has built a tire with a very narrow window. If you can find the right aero/suspension settings and switch them on you're golden like Macca. If you've missed it you're trash, like Haas. I realize Pirelli has a nearly impossible job but I think they are too big a factor this year.
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 03:08:49 AM »
Why on earth does McLaren apply team orders when they only have a handful of points???

Who cares if Sainzis 7th or 8th (besides Phil)?  Holding back Norris when he’s on it is just stupid.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Monty

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 09:11:46 AM »
Heroes - all of us that actually watched the whole race - we wasted a couple hours of our lives which we will never get back!
Zeroes - stupid tracks without walls, barriers, grass and gravel to determine track limits. The stupid rules. The stupid way the stupid rules are interpreted. The stupid penalties that are dished out when the stupid interpretations of the stupid rules are applied. Marko for saying stupid things. Me, being stupid enough to keep watching this stupid sport.  :crazy:

Offline rmassart

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 11:10:27 AM »
Heroes - all of us that actually watched the whole race - we wasted a couple hours of our lives which we will never get back!
Zeroes - stupid tracks without walls, barriers, grass and gravel to determine track limits. The stupid rules. The stupid way the stupid rules are interpreted. The stupid penalties that are dished out when the stupid interpretations of the stupid rules are applied. Marko for saying stupid things. Me, being stupid enough to keep watching this stupid sport.  :crazy:

I was basically going to post the same thing. Except that for once I didn't watch the race. It's possibly for the first time ever that I made a conscious decision not to watch the whole race despite being able to.  So I tuned in around about lap 15, saw Lewis had a 5 second lead over Valteri and everyone else was suitably far back, that I really couldn't be bothered to spend another hour or so waiting to see if someone's engine blows up or a late safety car creates some fake excitement.

Something has to change and I say this as a big Lewis fan. I think even Lewis is getting bored, so he's finding issues that aren't really there. Yesterday it was his seat that was causing him problems, rather than Botas, Leclerc or Vettel!

Offline Dare

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 12:34:53 PM »
Whoever colored the track must have had a
flashback from a 60's LSD Trip.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 03:14:06 PM »
Paul Ricard promotes itself as a test track for manufacturers & racing teams. That's why the runoffs are so vast. Nobody wants to trash there test cars. In other words, what makes a good test track is pretty much the opposite of what makes a good race track.

There's even a reason for the stripes. The 167 stripes designate areas of pavement with increased adhesion. The blue ones have slightly increased grip. The red ones have vastly more grip, to the point of ruining tires that skid across them. Once again, a way of slowing and/or stopping out-of-control cars without pranging them.

There are other, far more suitable tracks in France. Paul Ricard does have one advantage that played a huge part in it getting the French GP - Bernie owns a big chunk of it.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 04:17:36 PM »
Paul Ricard promotes itself as a test track for manufacturers & racing teams. That's why the runoffs are so vast. Nobody wants to trash there test cars. In other words, what makes a good test track is pretty much the opposite of what makes a good race track.

There's even a reason for the stripes. The 167 stripes designate areas of pavement with increased adhesion. The blue ones have slightly increased grip. The red ones have vastly more grip, to the point of ruining tires that skid across them. Once again, a way of slowing and/or stopping out-of-control cars without pranging them.

There are other, far more suitable tracks in France. Paul Ricard does have one advantage that played a huge part in it getting the French GP - Bernie owns a big chunk of it.

As a test track, Paul Ricard is equipped with sprinklers capable of flooding the track.

It would be possible to turn the French Grand Prix into a scheduled wet race.  Bernie has suggested this many times.  Perhaps it's time for that conversation to happen in earnest.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 04:27:42 PM »
As a test track, Paul Ricard is equipped with sprinklers capable of flooding the track.

It would be possible to turn the French Grand Prix into a scheduled wet race.  Bernie has suggested this many times.  Perhaps it's time for that conversation to happen in earnest.

Count me as an "aye" vote!  :good:
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2019, 08:48:37 PM »

Count me as an "aye" vote!  :good:

And run the whole race behind a safety cat or VSC...I don't think so
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2019, 10:17:39 AM »
It would be interesting, but maybe make it an exhibition race for a purse rather than championship points.

Back to Zero’s...

Stupidest trophy
Stupidest track
Stupidest strategy (Mclaren, for holding up Norris and allowing 3 more cars on his tail which probably would have passed him in 2-3 more laps.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2019, 04:44:56 PM »
It would be interesting, but maybe make it an exhibition race for a purse rather than championship points.

Back to Zero’s...

Stupidest trophy
Stupidest track
Stupidest strategy (Mclaren, for holding up Norris and allowing 3 more cars on his tail which probably would have passed him in 2-3 more laps.

Is there a story behind the trophy?  Are gorillas a 'thing' in France?  Is that a sponsor?  I didn't see any other gorillas all weekend, like track side advertising, or local sponsorship stickers/patches on cars/uniforms.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2019, 06:59:48 PM »
There were big animal statues all over the grounds. They were made by French artist Richard Orlinski who has close links with the circuit. I guess the gorilla ones were the features this year.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 07:25:22 PM by cosworth151 »
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle