collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 349
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Is the final straw coming for Vettel?  (Read 2433 times)

Online Jericoke

Is the final straw coming for Vettel?
« on: June 22, 2019, 05:57:01 PM »
In interviews Seb is openly discussing retirement. He doesn't seem to be joking or using it as a negotiation tactic.

Is he done with F1?

Is there anything short of a win that will keep him?

Is it possible he won't even finish the season?

Online Dare

Re: Is the final straw coming for Vettel?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 09:22:39 PM »
I think Vettel was over rated for years. Kimi
was his equal and Charles is proving to be his
superior. I don't think Vettel can handle that.If
he retires I wouldn't be surprised
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 04:28:00 AM »
I think he is just frustrated, with everything, the car, Ferrari’s poor strategy, the stewards and probably with his form this year.  I’m also sure he won’t go to another team without a championship chance.  He won’t want to be toodling around in a midfield car, so if Ferrari is perhaps focusing on Leclerc next year and he doesn’t get a call from Merc, he may just quit.  But I have no clue what he would do afterwards - I don’t think he wants to do TV for RTL or anything like that.

It’ll be fun to see how Leclerc does today since he won’t be on tailgunner duty.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online Dare

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 01:29:47 PM »
LeClerc isn't on tailgating duty but I'm betting
Ferrari let Vettel make the easy pass
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 02:03:39 PM »
Only if Vettel gets right behind Leclerc, which is not in any way certain.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 03:46:09 PM »
Just a thought out of left field - How about Seb moving to a resurgent McLaren next season?
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 10:40:20 PM »
I don't think a win, a title or a call from Mercedes to replace a retiring Hamilton is going to help.

This feels like the cumulative stresses of disappointment in what F1 is becoming. He's questioning whether he wants to be part of a future that he appears not to understand... ...or want to understand. He keeps talking about lawyer's speech and literalism being an ever-increasing part of the sport, and this being very different from the sport he grew up with. That's not the speech of someone likely to become re-adjusted to F1's pattern. Also, he got married last week, which could indicate an increased desire for commitment. I don't think the FIA is in any position to commit to him, if commitment means giving up the literalism that allows it to regulate.

Sebastian has a sense of honour, doesn't seem depressed, and I don't think he'll break his Ferrari contract or use loopholes to leave them early. But I expect him to be gone at the end of 2020, and for Charles to have become team leader before that point.

(I would hate to think what Sebastian would have made of the Formula E race yesterday. There was a restart order issued, and about a quarter of the grid marched to the official and declared he was totally wrong, quite loudly. One, I think, only got away without a fine because his swear was in Portuguese and masked by three other drivers trying to speak at the same time as him. It turned out everyone in the conversation was wrong, but the official was more right than the drivers... Had Sebastian been in that group, I get the feeling he'd have been among the miniature mob.

The kicker was that a couple of the other drivers were looking on, and appeared to be amused at the drivers' antics.)
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle