collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 350
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Austria Heroes & Zeros  (Read 4371 times)

Online Jericoke

Re: Austria Heroes & Zeros
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2019, 03:30:10 PM »
No matter how great Max drives I'll never compliment
him. He's a dirty driver with no class. I think my F1 days
are nearing a end.

I agree Dare although MV seems to be improving I think?
I also agree about my F1 days nearly being over as the direction Liberty seem to want to go is taking F1 away from its core values it become far too complicated and needs to go back to V8's with no turbo's or electrickery!

This is the crux of the debate, what ARE F1's core values?

Historically, it was to make the fastest car using a specific engine formula.  They made sure that the formula allowed for fast cars, but not absurdly fast.

Then they added rules for aerodynamics (and ground effects)

Then they added rules for safety.

Then they added rules for cost cutting.

At no point was the 'core' of F1 running noisy V8s.  I understand the visceral thrill of it, but you can get that at any weekend drag strip if that's what you really want.  I don't have a problem with the engine formula being quiet and electrified.  That's the future of automotive technology.  If F1 stops being 'cars' and becomes something archaic, like horse racing, that's a decision that has to be made.  Certainly no one blames Football for being irrelevant to daily life, F1 doesn't need to be 'road relevant' if they don't want to.

I'd love to see the sport give teams a freer hand in designing the cars.  Safety has to come first, but besides that, if the cars can corner at top speed, that might provide an interesting show.  It will certainly be a new set of skills on the drivers.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2019, 11:05:37 PM »
You're quite right Jeri F1's values are different depending on who you talk to and what they want to see and hear.
I can remember the V12's of Ferrari screaming and the early V8's and even the Turbo era had some volume to it and at no time could you hear the tyre screeching which you can now. Its more than noise though the ability to develop a car to gain an advantage, the technology that all the other teams want to copy but ultimately it's the racing and the aerodynamics that F1 cars now have are detrimental to that. The design turbulence into the car to stop a competitor from getting close if you were a designer why would you not?
Cost capping F1 will make it worse even though I think it would be impossible to police so I would open up the technical regulations with the proviso that trailing turbulence would have to be minimal.
It'll never happen but I can dream.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Willy

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2019, 09:04:25 PM »
Must agree with Dare.
My views on Dirty Max have been stated.

I have been a Kimi fan since he 1st arrived and am sad to see his talent floundering around midfield in a car that can't seem to compete.

I very much like Leclerc and also Norris.
If the future of F1 is in their hands I believe it will survive and grow with solid sportsmanship at its core.

If Dirty Max and his ilk have their way then I will stop watching and seek out Formula E or whatever.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle