collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 365
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: What's wrong with F1  (Read 5659 times)

Offline Warmwater

Re: What's wrong with F1
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2019, 02:37:54 AM »
 |-(
In my opinion – just random thoughts in no particular order:

The whole circus is overly mature and overly regulated.
If striving toward a highly technical advanced series, why so many rules?
The development of the current power-trains has pretty much reached the end.
Even Honda's engines are competitive now.
Why are engines limited to V-6's, more variety would be nice.
Piston engines are noisy dinosaurs, and hybrids are also on the way out.
Any alternate power units and fuels that can be tested- Wankle/hydrogen??
In season testing on Thursday's would be interesting, using a spare car.
Freezing development during the season prevents slower teams from catching up.   
Except for the paint schemes and advertising signs, the cars all look identical.
Other than Williams, all of the engineers must be copying each other's plans.
The differences in lap times between cars are often tiny fractions of a second.
The speed similarities are a result of overly strict measurement regulations.
Tires have too much influence on the results of most races.
The rubber marbles ultimately restrict the racing lines to a single lane.
Why not just one tire compound for everyone, a hard type to eliminate marbles?
Mandatory pit stops should be eliminated. Or instead, add a mandatory lunch stop.
Thinking about reducing costs is a waste of time.
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.” ― Mario Andretti.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2019, 09:42:38 AM »
If you want the drivers to wrestle more with the cars on track take away power steering - Simples!!!  :D
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline rmassart

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2019, 10:38:18 AM »
Q: How to make the racing exciting again?

A: Simply remove Hamilton from the equation. Give him a dodgy wing, or an overheating engine (or both) and all of a sudden the races are exciting again! ;)

Offline lkjohnson1950

Lonny

Offline Monty

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2019, 03:08:08 PM »
It is obvious (and understandable) that they will not go for 'revolution' but they could go for more radical 'evolution'.
I think the cars could be improved by reducing front wing size and removing barge boards - less turbulence = easier following = better overtaking.
The tracks cannot be changed easily but more should be fitted with 'track limit sensors' like the Jonathon Palmer tracks which would reduce the need for intervention from the stewards
The biggest controversy of 2019 (cars being forced off the track / cars leaving the track and gaining an advantage) can easily be fixed by simple, consistent and draconian application of the existing rules (you cannot leave the track and gain and advantage; you cannot 'crowd' another car off the track) but the penalty is that you must give the position(s) back within one lap.

For the future;
  • pay all teams good money just for being there (no teams = no F1). Forget rewarding the mega-rich teams for winning; pay the smaller teams to give them a chance of winning. I would favour a system where they all start with the same amount of 'appearance' money but payments reduce if a team performs badly.
  • power the cars predominantly from internal combustion engines; with hybrid parts only to give additional boost. Allow any number of cylinders, any rpm, any bhp but with a total fuel limit - however, make the cars go out with a minimum starting weight of fuel and finish with a maximum finishing weight of fuel (no fuel saving!)
  • make all of the tyres harder and avoid 'marbles'. A choice of compounds could still leave strategy as an important part of a race but I would suggest the choice should be one pit stop or no pit stop
    • get rid of VSR. If a minor incident occurs use Safety Cars (add some laps/time to the race so nobody gets a fuel advantage). If a major incident occurs red flag the race and do a full grid restart in current positions.
    • give a small number of points for pole, fastest race lap and most race overtakes
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 03:10:17 PM by monty »

Offline rmassart

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2019, 05:33:52 PM »
For the last two points, I don't really agree. I don't like the idea of the safety car at all. Not because it's not needed, but because it has the ability to create artificial action. If the lead driver has a 20 second gap behind him and this reduced to zero due to a safety car, it's fake. We might as well just have three 20 lap sprint races instead.  This is also the reason I don't like all these rules on tire choices, forced pit stops and so on. I don't want races decided by a strategician in the pits. It needs to be the driver who wins the race on track, not due to a cleverly timed pit stop.

It's why I would like to see telemetry be fundamentally forbidden.  The driver should be left to his own devices when racing, except for some communication once a lap with boards on the pit straight. As it was back in the good old days :)

I agree on the prize money aspect and in fact I don't understand why certain teams get historical funding. And why one of them is Red Bull. They're still a new team as far as I am concerned. How long have they existed for? 15 years?  They're still in their nappies and behave like it sometimes.   :D

Neither do I agree that Ferrari deserve a bonus. I will gladly watch F1 without them if need be and if it improves the racing. I've never understood the obsession with Ferrari (well I understand it but I don't agree with it).  Take away the Schumacher years and Kimi's win because Hamilton couldn't enter the wet pit properly in his rookie year and their last dominance was when? In the late 70s?

Offline Monty

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2019, 01:21:26 PM »
First may I apologise for the odd bullet points - I obviously failed to master the technicalities of making a consistent bulleted list!

Clearly there is no right or wrong opinion which is exactly why there is no 'silver bullet' to fix F1.

However, there seems to be enough agreement amongst us fans to adopt a few changes that we all agree would improve the racing from a spectator point of view. I do not know what Liberty use as 'goals' but they don't seem to care about the spectators!

Offline rmassart

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2019, 05:55:46 AM »
However, there seems to be enough agreement amongst us fans to adopt a few changes that we all agree would improve the racing from a spectator point of view. I do not know what Liberty use as 'goals' but they don't seem to care about the spectators!

I think they are trying to turn F1 into a sport that can be consumed bite size through social media.  And they are doing quite well at this. They have lots of highlights on their website which I actually think are quite good. If I miss a race I can watch the 6 minute summary plus a few "all the angles" videos for key situations such as Leclerc and Verstappen.  No need to watch the thing live anymore, let alone attend a race... Back in the 80s when I started following F1 if you didn't watch the race live (on TV or in person) you wouldn't really get to see the action any other way. Nowadays, you just turn on your smartphone and in 5 minutes you are as well informed as the person who spent 2 hours watching.

And of course, that is the problem. For them having fans attend a race is kind of optional. It's not based on attendance figures that sponsors pay their fees.  It's more based on likes and shares on Instagram or Facebook. I think this is a mistake and will kill the sport. I am not a fan of most US sports which are interrupted all the time and then give you 10 seconds of excitement before another break for the adverts.  But it's great for TV advertising.  I can't help feeling F1 is going in that direction.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2019, 06:38:32 AM »

I think they are trying to turn F1 into a sport that can be consumed bite size through social media.  And they are doing quite well at this. They have lots of highlights on their website which I actually think are quite good. If I miss a race I can watch the 6 minute summary plus a few "all the angles" videos for key situations such as Leclerc and Verstappen.  No need to watch the thing live anymore, let alone attend a race... Back in the 80s when I started following F1 if you didn't watch the race live (on TV or in person) you wouldn't really get to see the action any other way. Nowadays, you just turn on your smartphone and in 5 minutes you are as well informed as the person who spent 2 hours watching.

And of course, that is the problem. For them having fans attend a race is kind of optional. It's not based on attendance figures that sponsors pay their fees.  It's more based on likes and shares on Instagram or Facebook. I think this is a mistake and will kill the sport. I am not a fan of most US sports which are interrupted all the time and then give you 10 seconds of excitement before another break for the adverts.  But it's great for TV advertising.  I can't help feeling F1 is going in that direction.

I think Liberty expects to have the sport paid for by its homebrew TV app. Something tells me this will not work either, though it will take a few years for this to become clear.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle