collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 379
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Silly season - usually F1 Teams & drivers - now engines maybe??  (Read 2734 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Seems Williams may be in the market for more than just a new engineering boss, a change of engine may also be on the cards. - Good move or shot in the dark? Time will tell.

https://f1i.com/news/347146-williams-seeking-to-switch-to-renault-engines-in-2020.html

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

guest3164

Re: Silly season - usually F1 Teams & drivers - now engines maybe??
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 05:45:12 PM »
In a way it would make sense with the Pat Fry rumours that have been going around.

Offline Monty

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 02:18:52 PM »
I guess we will never know the truth but I doubt very much that Williams would choose to move away from Mercedes power; it might be that Mercedes decide not to let them have ICE units.
Then there are lots of questions; do Renault have the capacity to supply another team?; could it be that another team want Mercedes and therefore Williams are going to lose Mercedes power; if this is the case - which Renault team want to change to Mercedes power?
Oh the intrigue!!

guest3164

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 04:27:05 PM »
Well, it's got to be McLaren, unless Renault themselves have had enough of their own power units  :D

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 05:14:31 PM »
Well, it's got to be McLaren, unless Renault themselves have had enough of their own power units  :D
  :DD :DD :DD. Beat me to it  :D
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 06:02:59 PM »
It's possible that Haas and/or Alpha are getting tired of Ferrari hand-me-downs and see Mercedes hand-me-downs as more desirable.

I can see Haas doing that, they had a partnership to learn F1 from Ferrari, maybe they've learned as much as they can from a non-championship team and are looking for better mentors. 

Alternatively, there seems to be a deeper pool of 'Mercedes affiliated' drivers than 'Ferrari affiliated' drivers.  If Haas is tired of K-Mag and Grosjean, they might be looking for drivers that only come with engine contracts.

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 10:34:06 AM »
I think there is more involved in the Alfa ties to Ferrari than just the engine deal - they are likely obliged to take the Ferrari engines.  Sauber still runs the team, but their Ferrari ties run deep and I doubt they could survive without the Ferrari support.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Warmwater

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2019, 05:24:32 PM »
Williams problem is not the engine, it's everything else.
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.” ― Mario Andretti.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 04:32:07 AM »
I think there is more involved in the Alfa ties to Ferrari than just the engine deal - they are likely obliged to take the Ferrari engines.  Sauber still runs the team, but their Ferrari ties run deep and I doubt they could survive without the Ferrari support.

Certainly I agree that Haas is more likely to dump Ferrari than Alfa is, but Sauber does have a history with Mercedes.

(I don't seriously think either team is looking to dump Ferrari, but just for the purposes of conversation, can't rule it out out of hand)

guest3164

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2019, 06:29:12 PM »
Apparently this is all just idle speculation and Williams are engaged in very positive talks with Mercedes about continuing their partnership.  With Toto Wolff involved, I would be surprised to see it any other way.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/144723/williams-close-to-extending-mercedes-engine-supply

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2019, 07:30:08 PM »
The issues might be about what they get from Merc besides the engines. How much tech and design support Merc is willing to supply vs what Williams wants.
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle