collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 345
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 2020 Schedule  (Read 5955 times)

Offline lkjohnson1950

2020 Schedule
« on: July 08, 2019, 05:29:18 AM »

Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: 2020 Schedule
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 11:54:19 AM »
This all boils down to politics and money - or lack of it.

Monza is bound to stay, there's political will to use some government money to keep it and it's probably all sorted apart from some detail.

Silverstone is a lot harder to call. It's the best supported race on calendar, hundreds of thousands attend year on year, but that in itself does not generate enough to pay the race fee - oh and zero political backing.
Difficult to see any fee discount lasting more than a year or 2, might not be enough to keep it next year.
My feeling is track may want it to drop off for a year, to show Liberty what its missing, and try to get better terms in future years. Could be mistake as this will definitely accelerate London docklands GP talks. 

Spanish GP is doomed. Not enough backing either monetarily or politically.

German race I feel will go ahead, some compromises will be made to keep it because Brit GP will probably not happen. Mercedes can put money on table in Germany but can't bankroll British GP - isn't politics great.  ;) 

Now Autodromo Rodriguez future race lies almost certainly in the hands of Carlos Slim, he brought the race to Mexico and it all depends if his love affair with F1 is over in face of the change in political climate.
My guess is he is waiting until the spotlight is on Mexico nearer to this year's race to show his hand. Could go either way as money itself is not the real issue. He may want to be seen as peoples champion, or blame political opponents for its loss.   
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Robem64

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 01:43:34 PM »
Wonder if pre-season testing will still happen at Barcelona if they lose the race?
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Offline Monty

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 02:12:15 PM »
some compromises will be made to keep it because Brit GP will probably not happen

why do you think British GP will not happen? Do you know something different to the BRDC published statement 'we are all friends again and everything will be OK'

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 02:50:47 PM »
some compromises will be made to keep it because Brit GP will probably not happen

why do you think British GP will not happen? Do you know something different to the BRDC published statement 'we are all friends again and everything will be OK'

It's like when a team says that a certain driver's place with the team is "absolutely secure" is when you know that he's a goner.  ;)

I think that Barcelona is gone. It might keep pre-season testing as a consolation prize. Still, I wouldn't be surprised to see that move to Paul Ricard. It's a much better test track than it is a race track.

Silverstone, Hockenheim & Mexico City should stay. They're great venues with very good fan backing. Still, in F1, things like that count for nothing.

Monza is probably safe.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 03:24:53 PM »

The last thing I can remember being reported is Silverstone bitching that any future London based GP (European GP or whatever title) will reduce their ability to make the British GP sums add up. Reading between the lines I surmise that the drop in race fee is not substantial enough going forward a few years, hence the suggestion in my post that there is still some gulf between BRDC & Liberty signing a contract.

This is purely my personal opinion but has anyone reported that an announcement is expected this weekend about a contract signing?
Of course I could be totally wrong and indeed hope I am. 

Are you able to post a link to this BRDC published statement, is it recent?   

Offline Monty

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 03:53:49 PM »
Are you able to post a link to this BRDC published statement, is it recent? 
Just something I read last night:-
https://www.planetf1.com/news/f1-and-brdc-agree-new-silverstone-deal-report/

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 09:29:35 PM »
Looks like I stand corrected Monty.

However I'm surprised most other trusted F1 sites are not reporting this, maybe it's not as certain as the very short piece from Daily Mail would like it to be.  :DntKnw:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/index.html

We all live in hope though.

Online Dare

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 11:47:50 PM »
I'm more for keeping and maybe adding some European tracks.
After all that's where F1 started. Bring back San Marino. Too
many Asian races
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 12:24:52 AM »
I doubt Mexico is happening because the government withdrew its funding, in favour of a new railway line that is to connect several areas of the country together and expected to have a bigger impact on tourism.

Spain is in a similar position because Catalonia isn't popular in Madrid right now.

Germany and Britain are both unhappy with the amount Liberty wants to charge for races. Britain, reading between the lines, needs less of a discount than Germany, but both require one.

Monza, I believe, is a formality - but only if neither Spain nor Mexico comes up with surprise funding sources.

I think there's more chance of us being a race short than a race long, especially since I'm not 100% confident of Thailand or Holland happening yet. Thailand's race organisation is less organised than it looks at face value, and Zaandvoort will need a lot of modification that hasn't been agreed fully yet.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 02:25:43 PM »

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 02:57:57 PM »
Good news indeed!   :yahoo:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2019, 07:12:25 PM »
 :good: :good:

Good track, good crowds and a decent chance of rain  :D ;)
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2019, 06:39:37 AM »
Excellent!

So that's one race on the calendar, with a second (Monza) likely. I wait to see if Liberty manages to get race #3 on the calendar.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2019, 06:28:47 PM »
It seems Mexico is staying on the calendar for the next 3 years.  :good: Always a good atmosphere at the event with a full house of committed fans, I'm really pleased to see it stay.

Appears the wealthy backers of the Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez revamp, & F1 drivers Perez and Gutiérrez in the last few years, have looked in their pockets and found enough spare to put the race on.  :yahoo:

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2019/08/mexico-set-to-stay-in-formula-1-with-new-contract/

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle