collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 365
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Horner says Max would beat Hamilton in identical cars.  (Read 2412 times)

Offline Jericoke

Horner says Max would beat Hamilton in identical cars.
« on: July 11, 2019, 08:23:52 PM »
https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11760965/lewis-hamilton-relishing-battles-against-f1s-new-rising-stars

It's an article about Hamilton being excited about the challenge of the next generation (take that Seb and Kimi!).

Horner naturally says that Max is the best out there right now.  While I disagree, Max still has the 'recklessness' of youth that Hamilton has outgrown.  Sometimes that lack of respect for fellow drivers can earn a win.

Of course the debate about 'same car' always draws caveats.  Each driver has their own style and a car that suits one might be terrible for another.  We usually find that the 'best' are the ones that put a car ahead of where it should be.  Alonso and Schumacher definitely showed this ability.  Hamilton's ability to create 'perfect laps', or as a rookie going toe to toe with Alonso shows he is in this category too.  I don't know that Max has shown an ability to elevate his car (Gasly is no slouch, so maybe Max really is that good.  On the other hand, Ricciardo has looked very ordinary in the Renault despite being on the same level as Max last year).

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Horner says Max would beat Hamilton in identical cars.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 12:52:04 AM »
Yes, I'm sure the R/B is slanted Max's way. I remember when Kimi came back to Ferrari he was a long way off Seb. He said the car wouldn't turn for him. He got much closer to Seb over time as the car became more to his liking.
Lonny

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 06:37:27 AM »
I think it depends entirely on what the identical car was. Max hates understeer and Lewis isn't thrilled with heavy oversteer...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 08:31:47 AM »
He would say that.  :crazy:

So hire Hamilton and prove it.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 04:06:02 PM »
He would say that.  :crazy:

So hire Hamilton and prove it.

I wonder.  Hamilton raced for McLaren under Ron Dennis, who was infamous for his disciplined approach to F1 racing.  Hamilton then moved to Mercedes, and while Toto Wolff is no Ron Dennis, I think it's safe to say that the Mercedes team is the most disciplined group in F1 right now.

Would Hamilton do well in a team that 'brand focused' like Red Bull?  Or the insane politics of Ferrari?  (I actually do feel that Hamilton would be a good fit for Red Bull as a brand)

Certainly putting up with Dennis or Wolff takes a special driver too.  I think it says a lot for Hamilton to maintain the sort of professionalism they look for, while still being the 'fun guy' he likes to position himself as off track.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle