F1 News & Discussions > Pit Pass

Todt: Eliminate Driver Aids

(1/2) > >>

lkjohnson1950:
Todt is proposing that F1 remove tech such as anti-stall, telemetry, and virtual garages, the 50 or more people crunching data at the factory during a race weekend. Sounds good to me.

https://www.racefans.net/2019/07/14/todt-proposes-new-ban-on-driver-aids-targeting-anti-stall-telemetry-and-virtual-garages/

John S:
What I don't get is this being floated as proposals, surely the FIA writes the rules for the series and therefore can make whatever changes it wishes.  :confused:

Yes I know there is the new Concorde agreement to be considered, but that is a matter for the commercial rights holder not the rule makers. Seems to me Todt is seeking to define rules that satisfy the commercial/teams side of the business by floating these things as just proposals.

I think the European Union insisted that the two arms of F1 be kept separate to avoid this kind of influence, overtly or by some osmotic process, coming into play from the commercial side.

Having said that I like his ideas, so can he just get on with at least some of it rather than floating out ideas. 

lkjohnson1950:
The teams seem to have a lot of say in the rules process, and Ferrari still has a veto, right? The rule book used to be about the size of a pamphlet, now it the Encyclopedia Britannica.

Jericoke:

--- Quote from: lkjohnson1950 on July 15, 2019, 10:45:09 AM ---The teams seem to have a lot of say in the rules process, and Ferrari still has a veto, right? The rule book used to be about the size of a pamphlet, now it the Encyclopedia Britannica.

--- End quote ---

The teams have say because without 9 teams, there is no sport, so the rules become irrelevant.  Ferrari has a Veto because 'everyone knows' that without Ferrari there is no F1.  (Mostly it's hold over from Bernie's divide and conquer approach to the Concorde)

That's why I'd like the head of F1 (Max Mosley was right  >:D , the head of the FIA should NOT be in charge of F1) to be appointed by the teams, but also have power over the teams.

As for the issue at hand re: drivers aids.  People talk about getting the sport back to basics.  Let's allow the cars to be as high tech as possible, BUT no driver aids.  How do we do this?  Ride along mechanics!  Have a second person in the car reading the telemetry pressing all the buttons and flicking switches.

Andy B:

--- Quote from: Jericoke on July 15, 2019, 03:46:11 PM ---

--- End quote ---

Ferrari has a Veto because 'everyone knows' that without Ferrari there is no F1.

[/quote]

Ferrari like RB have threatened to leave before but F1 would continue one team does not make F1 it would also remove the unreasonable veto.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version