F1 News & Discussions > Pit Pass

Todt: Eliminate Driver Aids

<< < (2/2)

Alianora La Canta:

--- Quote from: John S on July 15, 2019, 09:42:43 AM ---What I don't get is this being floated as proposals, surely the FIA writes the rules for the series and therefore can make whatever changes it wishes.  :confused:

--- End quote ---

The FIA can write the rules, but they can't force the teams to sign up!

WEC made the mistake of not listening to its teams, and as a result has pretty much had to abandon LMP1 for 2020-2021 season, having managed to annoy all the teams that would have competed out of the equation. Yes, it'll fill the ranks with LMP2, possibly LMP2+, GTE-Pro and GTE-Am, but they make it a lot less money...

Jean Todt is also mindful that his predecesor left his role because the teams leveraged an extremely badly-thought-out rule change, that was combined with a Concorde expiry, into removing him and getting their own way in medium-term power.

Monty:
I sometimes wonder if banning telemetry would be the 'simple' answer. I understand the arguments that this is a technological 'backward step' but it would put a lot more on the driver. Let the driver get loads of readouts and discuss these with the team but stop the backroom engineers actually 'controlling' the car from a distance.
It would automatically reduce costs because the teams wouldn't need the massive team of remote engineers.

cosworth151:
It could also prove to be more costly for the teams and more dangerous for the drivers. Many of those times when now a car gets called in & garaged during a race would probably then result in a blown engine and/or a crash.

rmassart:

--- Quote from: Jericoke on July 15, 2019, 03:46:11 PM ---Ferrari has a Veto because 'everyone knows' that without Ferrari there is no F1. 

--- End quote ---

Is this really true though?  I've never considered Ferrari to be the raison d'etre of F1. I know this is often claimed, and it is certainly what Ferrari want us all to believe. But I don't buy it. I've followed F1 for over 30 years, for a lot of which they've been irrelevant competitively speaking.  The exception are the Schumacher years (and the hang over into Massa/Raikonnen). And personally I think that only happened because they effectively bought out the Benetton team if I remember properly.

Admittedly I started following F1 just after a period of Ferrari dominance in the late 70s / early 80s. Nevertheless, I couldn't care less about Ferrari or any other specific team.  I tend to follow drivers more and outside of Italy I suspect that is the more common approach to following F1.  When eg Verstappen turns up at a race near Holland, the stands turn Orange, not red/blue.

rmassart:

--- Quote from: cosworth151 on October 04, 2019, 01:47:28 PM ---It could also prove to be more costly for the teams and more dangerous for the drivers. Many of those times when now a car gets called in & garaged during a race would probably then result in a blown engine and/or a crash.

--- End quote ---

This could be solved by allowing 1-way telemetry only. So no voice communication.  I think that the current communication possibilities between team and driver allows the teams to run incredibly complicated strategies which the average joe supporter can no longer understand.  If F1 doesn't want to end up being a niche sport, it needs to make sure the racing happens on the track through the drivers and not in strategy rooms hidden to the public.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version