collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 375
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Todt: Eliminate Driver Aids  (Read 4397 times)

Offline lkjohnson1950

Todt: Eliminate Driver Aids
« on: July 15, 2019, 05:45:27 AM »
Todt is proposing that F1 remove tech such as anti-stall, telemetry, and virtual garages, the 50 or more people crunching data at the factory during a race weekend. Sounds good to me.

https://www.racefans.net/2019/07/14/todt-proposes-new-ban-on-driver-aids-targeting-anti-stall-telemetry-and-virtual-garages/

Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Todt: Eliminate Driver Aids
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 09:42:43 AM »
What I don't get is this being floated as proposals, surely the FIA writes the rules for the series and therefore can make whatever changes it wishes.  :confused:

Yes I know there is the new Concorde agreement to be considered, but that is a matter for the commercial rights holder not the rule makers. Seems to me Todt is seeking to define rules that satisfy the commercial/teams side of the business by floating these things as just proposals.

I think the European Union insisted that the two arms of F1 be kept separate to avoid this kind of influence, overtly or by some osmotic process, coming into play from the commercial side.

Having said that I like his ideas, so can he just get on with at least some of it rather than floating out ideas. 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 10:45:09 AM »
The teams seem to have a lot of say in the rules process, and Ferrari still has a veto, right? The rule book used to be about the size of a pamphlet, now it the Encyclopedia Britannica.
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 03:46:11 PM »
The teams seem to have a lot of say in the rules process, and Ferrari still has a veto, right? The rule book used to be about the size of a pamphlet, now it the Encyclopedia Britannica.

The teams have say because without 9 teams, there is no sport, so the rules become irrelevant.  Ferrari has a Veto because 'everyone knows' that without Ferrari there is no F1.  (Mostly it's hold over from Bernie's divide and conquer approach to the Concorde)

That's why I'd like the head of F1 (Max Mosley was right  >:D , the head of the FIA should NOT be in charge of F1) to be appointed by the teams, but also have power over the teams.

As for the issue at hand re: drivers aids.  People talk about getting the sport back to basics.  Let's allow the cars to be as high tech as possible, BUT no driver aids.  How do we do this?  Ride along mechanics!  Have a second person in the car reading the telemetry pressing all the buttons and flicking switches.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 10:57:13 PM »

Ferrari has a Veto because 'everyone knows' that without Ferrari there is no F1.

[/quote]

Ferrari like RB have threatened to leave before but F1 would continue one team does not make F1 it would also remove the unreasonable veto.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 04:50:42 PM »
What I don't get is this being floated as proposals, surely the FIA writes the rules for the series and therefore can make whatever changes it wishes.  :confused:

The FIA can write the rules, but they can't force the teams to sign up!

WEC made the mistake of not listening to its teams, and as a result has pretty much had to abandon LMP1 for 2020-2021 season, having managed to annoy all the teams that would have competed out of the equation. Yes, it'll fill the ranks with LMP2, possibly LMP2+, GTE-Pro and GTE-Am, but they make it a lot less money...

Jean Todt is also mindful that his predecesor left his role because the teams leveraged an extremely badly-thought-out rule change, that was combined with a Concorde expiry, into removing him and getting their own way in medium-term power.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 04:53:53 PM by Alianora La Canta »
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Monty

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 04:31:24 PM »
I sometimes wonder if banning telemetry would be the 'simple' answer. I understand the arguments that this is a technological 'backward step' but it would put a lot more on the driver. Let the driver get loads of readouts and discuss these with the team but stop the backroom engineers actually 'controlling' the car from a distance.
It would automatically reduce costs because the teams wouldn't need the massive team of remote engineers.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 01:47:28 PM »
It could also prove to be more costly for the teams and more dangerous for the drivers. Many of those times when now a car gets called in & garaged during a race would probably then result in a blown engine and/or a crash.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline rmassart

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2019, 08:44:34 AM »
Ferrari has a Veto because 'everyone knows' that without Ferrari there is no F1. 

Is this really true though?  I've never considered Ferrari to be the raison d'etre of F1. I know this is often claimed, and it is certainly what Ferrari want us all to believe. But I don't buy it. I've followed F1 for over 30 years, for a lot of which they've been irrelevant competitively speaking.  The exception are the Schumacher years (and the hang over into Massa/Raikonnen). And personally I think that only happened because they effectively bought out the Benetton team if I remember properly.

Admittedly I started following F1 just after a period of Ferrari dominance in the late 70s / early 80s. Nevertheless, I couldn't care less about Ferrari or any other specific team.  I tend to follow drivers more and outside of Italy I suspect that is the more common approach to following F1.  When eg Verstappen turns up at a race near Holland, the stands turn Orange, not red/blue.

Offline rmassart

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2019, 08:49:14 AM »
It could also prove to be more costly for the teams and more dangerous for the drivers. Many of those times when now a car gets called in & garaged during a race would probably then result in a blown engine and/or a crash.

This could be solved by allowing 1-way telemetry only. So no voice communication.  I think that the current communication possibilities between team and driver allows the teams to run incredibly complicated strategies which the average joe supporter can no longer understand.  If F1 doesn't want to end up being a niche sport, it needs to make sure the racing happens on the track through the drivers and not in strategy rooms hidden to the public.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle