collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 359
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: German GP Heroes and Zeroes  (Read 4642 times)

Offline Scott

German GP Heroes and Zeroes
« on: July 27, 2019, 04:50:47 PM »
Thought I’d start this thread today since there is already an important entry.

Zeroes:

Ferrari...going to be some resignation letters drafted tonight.  Insane.  Waiting for details.

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: German GP Heroes and Zeroes
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 06:07:11 PM »
Thought I’d start this thread today since there is already an important entry.

Zeroes:

Ferrari...going to be some resignation letters drafted tonight.  Insane.  Waiting for details.

I was thinking if this was Italy and Merc had similar problems they'd be pointing fingers at the Mafia.  :tease:

Kinda strange that Merc have spent so much brass at this race and their cars were well behind in all practice sessions.
Then all of a sudden not one but 2 Ferraris hit mechanicals - life can take some odd turns. :crazy:  :D
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Warmwater

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2019, 08:10:02 PM »
It's time for Ferrari to switch to Honda drive-trains.  :'(
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.” ― Mario Andretti.

Offline Willy

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 12:11:33 PM »
I imagine Ferarri will have some vacant positions shortly.
But seriously, Vettel and Leclerc must be so frustrated with everything this team has done this season. How fast can they each find a new drive for next season....or will Seb even want one?

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 04:46:36 PM »
A great race!  :yahoo:

Heroes:

Vettel - P20 to P2 on a track that went from very wet to almost dry.  Fantastic!

Albon, Kyvat & Stroll - All punched over their weight today. I think the two STR drivers believe they are racing for Gasly's seat after the break.

Hockenheim - What an F1 circuit should be. I hope Liberty is smart enough to keep it. Can you imagine a car going from last to second on any of the Tilke tracks?

Haas - Double points finish!  :yahoo:  Could have been much better if Leclerc hadn't done his kamikaze move out of his box in front of Grosjean.

Zeroes:

Stewards - Leclerc makes his aforementioned unsafe release and costs Grosjean 4 or 5 places. Ferrari gets a little fine. Lewis goes into the pits past the bollard after a shunt to avoid spreading carbon shards all the way around the track. He gets a 5 second ding. We really, Really, REALLY need to get the FIA completely out of racing.

Haas drivers - C'mon, guys. Stop hitting each other!  :nono:

Ferrari tech folk - Both cars konk out in quali. Vettel doesn't even get one good lap. I know that turbos are inherently undependable but that's a bit much.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2019, 05:16:59 PM »
When Vettel got on Kimi's tail I
was expecting Kimi to pull over by habit

Bottas acted as if his crash might cost
him his seat next year
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Willy

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 07:58:13 PM »
A great race at a great track.
The wet made it way more exciting.

I reiterate everything Cos said.

Very happy to see some new blood at the pointy end once and a while, no matter the reason.
Max managed to keep his focus and not pull any crap on anyone.
Merc screwed the pooch today and was a comedy of errors during Hamilton's unexpected pit stop.

Offline rmassart

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2019, 09:08:20 PM »
So, amazingly, despite probably his worst race in a long time, Lewis extended his lead by 2 points:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.alfa-romeo-penalised-post-race-williams-score-first-2019-point.4z9k1dIrDmAsJAs8KtJaUx.html

You've gotta feel sorry for Alfa Romeo though. Seems a very harsh penalty, especially since the start had almost no input into what happened during the rest of the race!

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2019, 09:48:39 PM »
Quote of the day - Kvyatt summarizing most teams raceday  “It was a horror show with some black comedy”.   :DD :DD :DD :DD

At one point the Swiss commentators were laughing that Kvyatt was battling Stroll for second place.  “Can that be right??”

I’ll add a Zero...FOM deciding to cut away from the action far too much and throw up full screen shots of driver pics instead of a thumbnail in the corner.

If you count the SC, I think Merc actually led the race for the most laps.   8)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2019, 12:39:28 AM »
I cannot believe the FIA has a rule about how long you can take to release the clutch. Surely that should be something the driver controls at his option. Especially in a wet start and especially since the FIA is talking about milliseconds. Ridiculous.
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2019, 02:14:47 PM »
I cannot believe the FIA has a rule about how long you can take to release the clutch. Surely that should be something the driver controls at his option. Especially in a wet start and especially since the FIA is talking about milliseconds. Ridiculous.

I totally agree.  Is it some convoluted cost savings?  You would think in the interests of safety alone, the FIA would let the teams map their clutches however they like, ESPECIALLY for a rain standing start. 

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2019, 02:50:10 PM »
I'm not quite sure if this goes under 'heroes' or 'zeroes', but it's stuck with me since watching the race:

When Mercedes was suffering misfortune, the German fans were thrilled.  They were clearly cheering on Vettel (and of course Max) and happy to see their home team, without home drivers, suffering.

I suppose I'm curious that most countries support drivers, while one country supports a team (I'm curious if, say, McLaren was winning with an Italian driver how much support they'd get in Monza)

Mercedes was integral in ensuring that the race went on this year.  How are they supposed to feel as an organization if the fans publicly cheered their failure?

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2019, 02:56:44 PM »
There was a lot of orange in those stands. They were cheering because what was bad for Merc was good for Max.

The Alfa penalty was absolutely ridiculous. I'm sure that if those extra few milliseconds at the start had any effect on the outcome of the race, it was to prevent a spin on the very wet start.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2019, 07:26:58 PM »
Heroes:-

All those who managed to keep their cars on the blackstuff til the end. Especially the rookies, not one of them succumbed to a race finishing shunt, unlike more experienced drivers.

Max for a brilliant drive to the win, he was helped by his team strategy but he still had to be on track at the finish.

Racing Point for sticking slicks on Stroll's car, they had already lost one car to a shunt in those crazy condition, so being brave enough to risk the other shows they are real racers not just points collectors.

Danny Kyvat, being a father must have matured his outlook as he seemed to know you have to be there at the end to get a pocketful of points - or even a win.

Zeros:-

All those top pilots who threw themselves at the scenery and lost any hope of a good finish, remember guys 'to finish 1st - first you must finish'

The numpty Haas drivers, - well at least they reserved their wheel bashing for each other instead of wreaking havoc with other teams cars.  ;)

The FIA officials who failed to realise Lewis was a lap in front of the cars following the safety car after his nose change in the pits, they reported him to the stewards for driving too slowly when he in fact was following the correct delta.  ::)

Tricky to call:-

Stewards decision on the Alfa's. The FIA has for some time been monitoring the start line reaction times, Bottas was looked at in depth a year or so back for a lightning start.

It appears something happened to alter the Alfa's clutch settings during the laps behind the safety car, the result may have caused a technical false start by response times outside allowable parameters. Whilst I can see it may not have had any real effect on this race, Kimi did seem to get a v good start, rules is rules!!!
Certainly the other teams managed to keep their clutch settings correct, F1 is a tough old game. 

« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 07:37:37 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2019, 09:18:09 PM »
Heroes:

Vettel - 20th to 2nd and, from what I gather, having to improvise a strategy on the basis of watching the crowd reacting to the weather, after Ferrari's "official" strategy failed due to chronic prevarication.

Kvyat - This is Daniil as he should be. He drove with skill and opportunism alike, afraid of nothing and no-one.

Stroll - I never thought he had it in him. Admittedly helped by a genius strategy, he somehow managed to get Racing Point into the lead for 4 corners and hold on for 4th. Money raised in 2 races for Breast Cancer Care so far from improved grid places: £16,000.

Zeroes

The FIA - I'm not sure what was worse: the decision to not be strict on track limits in qualifying, the improvised juggling of race start procedures that looked like it had no idea what it was doing, getting the delta/car correlation hopelessly out of alignment, failing to notice people in the slow lane of the pits with no head or eye protection (some appearing to be working on cars...), deciding that the safety of a drag strip as part of a run-off could be judged merely by looking at it (rather than, say, by considering hydrophysics) or deciding that neither unsafe releases nor yellow flag crashing warranted penalties in and of themselves. Oh, wait a minute... ...I am sure. It's the last one, closely followed by the penultimate one. I really don't want to have to write any more Strongly Worded Letters against the FIA's conduct to lawyers, and I really don't want to think how close I came to needing to do so yesterday. I am now considering how best to get the message into the FIA's collective processing networks that its race management yesterday was not only inadequete but potentially lethal.

Ferrari - Oh, Ferrari. I don't think this site is big enough for the full scope of the rant I have against you. But at least none of the errors was likely to injure anyone. (For clarity, I'm exempting Vettel from this, as he appeared to have to carry the entire team on his shoulders).

Mercedes - Retro outfits... ...cool. Faux-retro nosecone... ...so-so, until it rained, at which point it looked good against the clouds. Retro pitstop recalling Ferrari Nurburgring 1999... ...not cool.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 11:02:56 PM by Alianora La Canta »
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle