collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 367
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Toto Says He Won't Stop Ocon From Finding Another Ride  (Read 3347 times)

Offline cosworth151

Toto Says He Won't Stop Ocon From Finding Another Ride
« on: July 31, 2019, 05:09:09 PM »
Toto Wolff says he won't stop Reserve Driver Esteban Ocon from moving on at the end of the season.

"He deserves to be in F1, that's clear," Wolff said. "He does a great job for us in the simulator and then at Force India in the last years. He deserves to be in Formula 1."

"We will take our decision in August. If we do not have room for him, we'll have to let him go. We cannot block a young driver if we cannot offer him a cockpit.

https://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/mercedes-f1-boss-toto-wolff-will-not-block-reserve-driver-esteban-ocon-changing

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

Re: Toto Says He Won't Stop Ocon From Finding Another Ride
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 09:02:56 PM »
Looks like bottas might be looking for a ride
to me
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 03:26:06 PM »
Looks like bottas might be looking for a ride
to me

It's a good problem to have.  Wolf does answer to the Mercedes board, it will be hard to explain why you've let a race winner go.  Certainly easier if Bottas has a weak second half.

It's good that they understand blocking the career of young drivers is a good way to keep them out of your development programme.

I've been watching F1 since the mid 90s, and we usually go from one dominant driver/team to the next.  There are always promising young drivers, but I don't remember a solid 'crop' like we have now!

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 05:28:27 PM »
I suspect Racing Point may have a vacancy because Perez and Haas seem to be eyeing each other up seriously (much as I hate to admit this). That would solve Wolff's problem quite neatly.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Philbe

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 07:25:27 PM »
I wonder if Perez going to Haas would be a good move...not professionally but politically. With the rhetoric coming out of the white house currently about the wall etc...would a mexican driving an american based car be accepted by the fans in Mexico.   

Offline Dare

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 12:43:52 PM »
Why would Americans have a problem with Perez?
When he enters the country he does it legally. Canada
has laws against illegally entering the country too I assume
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 04:36:39 PM »
I don't think Philbe was worried about how Americans would receive Perez going to Haas, but rather how Mexicans (Checo's home audience) would accept the news.

I suppose as long as Haas doesn't say anything ridiculously pro-Trump or anti-Mexico, all will be well. But if not... ...they should look at the Hawkers episode for how they can expect to be treated.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 12:30:16 AM »
Something may be up for Spa. The French press is saying that Bottas will stay at Merc & Ocon will go to Hulkenburg's ride at Renault. Nico went on Instagram and said, “Finally, a more exciting Thursday ahead.”

https://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/esteban-ocon-poised-replace-nico-hulkenberg-renault-f1-team
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle