collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 380
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 5
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: F1 without classic tracks  (Read 2505 times)

Online Dare

F1 without classic tracks
« on: August 01, 2019, 01:33:43 AM »
My feeling exactly. I started watching F1 for the
Eoropean track long ago

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/f1-without-classic-tracks-stupid-085005720.html

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Online cosworth151

Re: F1 without classic tracks
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 02:43:25 PM »
I absolutely agree. The main part of F1 has to be the racing. The classic tracks have survived so long because they provide great racing.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 03:11:16 PM »
F1 is very unique in that the number of parties involved in a successful season is enormous.  When it comes to the F1 pie it is split into thousands, if not millions of pieces.

It's all well and good to want a race in Germany, but if no one is willing to pay for it, then it can't happen.

I think it's ridiculous that governments are paying for F1 races to happen.  I don't mind them chipping in a little bit to encourage local jobs and putting their city/region/country into the international public eye, but I don't think the German/Canadian/Singapore government should be subsidizing my entertainment.

I certainly can't blame Bernie for ratcheting up the money FOM makes from race fees.  That was his job and he was damn good at it.  It was unsustainable, but that's how business goes, you make the money when you can, and then you move on to other opportunities. 

For the sport to survive, FOM needs to ensure the tracks can run the race economically.  Any event that can sell 100000+ tickets at premium prices should be able to turn a profit.  Sure, some tracks are run more effectively than others, but when your gate receipts are in excess of $30,000,000 before you sell a single billboard, beer or t-shirt, there should be room to make money.

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 05:04:51 PM »
The problem is the tracks ONLY get the gate fees.  Billboards and TV and virtually all other profits go to FOM, and on top of that, they charge race fees that usually eat up the gate fee and anything else the local promoters can scramble for, and that doesn’t include the infrastructure upgrades required at every new contract signing.  There is simply no way to run a successful or profitable race without government subsidy without a change in the economic structure of F1. 

I say keep, and focus on the European races, but give them a chance to be viable.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 10:10:22 PM »
Sure we all want to keep classic tracks, but one wonders how much of a pay cut Vettel is prepared to take to get some of these tracks back on the calendar.  :P
It's always easy to criticise others for either overcharging or not stumping up, try remembering who has filled your rather full cup before protesting too much young Seb.  :crazy:

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 03:08:59 PM »
I think Seb remembers that very existence of F1 (or any other sport) depends on having a large, dependable fan base. Liberty seems to have totally lost sight of that. If large numbers of people aren't watching the big money will dry up very quickly. Big sponsorships and high priced merchandising will evaporate. Broadcasting income will plummet.  NASCAR is finding that out the hard way.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Willy

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 01:48:10 PM »
I too, enjoy the races at the famous old European tracks and want them to stay on the calendar. But, if the track managers can't make money from holding a race, then it will be a short-lived event.
For FOM to ask $30 mil from the track, expect the track to foot the bill for upgrades and then only let them keep gate receipts is not sustainable.
Jeri hit the nail on the head with her comments about government subsidies as this puts the burden on local taxpayers who may not be F1 fans and will object to the expenditure.
Keep F1 racing where the fan base is and cancel the events where the stands are empty. A shorter more focused season on the original iconic tracks where the money is shared amongst those who put on the event is the way forward and can be sustainable.
I know......pie in the sky......but the way things are going is doomed.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle