collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 370
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Albon repaces Gasly  (Read 3018 times)

Offline Dare

« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 12:37:37 PM by Dare »

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

Re: Albon rpaces Gasly
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 03:00:35 PM »
Many of us (including me) didn't expect Gasly to survive the break at RBR. I'm glad he'll get a shot at STR. We'll see how he does with a little less pressure on him.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Andy B

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 03:31:05 PM »
A typical RB move which Williams could do and maybe Mercedes in trying out Ocon?
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

guest3164

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 03:41:44 PM »
Regarding Ocon, either he didn't fancy it over the winter or Mercedes weren't prepared to pay up which is why Kubica got the seat. 

As for Albon, pleased he has got a shot in the big team, I do fear it might be too much too soon.  Red Bull are vicious though to their drivers, Gasly didn't even get a full season and what odds Albon gets jettisoned if he performs at a similar level? 

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 05:23:39 PM »
The problem at Red Bull is clearly role-related, because how else does one explain two drivers being deemed unfit despite decent performances at the "dress rehearsal" team and another getting fed up with how the role is treated, in the space of three-and-a-half years? This isn't fast food or IT Service Desk work, there is an expectation that F1 drivers' roles are at least somewhat durable. It's one of the following:

1) the role has too high an expectation on it for the level of resourcing it's being given (and there have been times when it's been given worse parts and worse treatment than might have been expected).

2) There's something about the team ambience that's working against that role.

3) The hiring process is failing to select the right people for the role despite successfully managing it for Toro Rosso (to some extent) and the primary Red Bull driver (rather well).

At Williams, Mercedes got outbid by Rokit.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 06:03:07 PM »
R/B is Max's toy, everyone else is a distant second. I'm sure team attitudes had a lot to do with why Danny left.
Lonny

guest3164

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 06:05:22 PM »
You mean PKN Orlen, no?  They backed Kubica, not ROKiT who signed on after well after Kubica was confirmed at the team. 

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 04:38:19 PM »
You mean PKN Orlen, no?  They backed Kubica, not ROKiT who signed on after well after Kubica was confirmed at the team.

Sorry, yes, I forgot RoKiT turned up later. PKN Orlen outbid Mercedes. It certainly wasn't by Ocon's or Wolff's choice.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Albon repaces Gasly
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2019, 07:11:47 PM »
Not surprised Pierre has been demoted, he seems to find it tricky to go forward in a GP, with the 2nd best car/engine package that's a real failing.

He seems able to let lesser cars pass him easily too, but he really should make up more ground on opponents.

I think Albon will turn it up a notch, he ran Russell close in F2 last year - much more so than Llando - with much lower support from a lesser funded team. 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle