collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 369
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Haas: Low budget requires F1 driver merry-go-round to begin for 2020 seat choice  (Read 3141 times)

Online John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Sounds like there will be change at Haas for next year or why would Steiner go into so much detail about the driver market with F1i.com, see article below.

However whether they intend to replace one or both of their 'shunt brothers' is still up in the air.  - Best guess 'Wrecker Romain' will be out in the cold, although I'd get shot of both.   

Haas boss Guenther Steiner is mulling the future of his team's line-up but insists potential choices may not become clear until the driver's market is set in motion.
In addition to the mystifying troubles impacting its car this season, Haas has had to contend with the costly on-track run-ins of its drivers.

Many doubt the US outfit will bank on continuity for 2020 by keeping both Kevin Magnussen and Romain Grosjean onboard, with the Frenchman seen as the most likely one to depart the team.
Rumors have placed Renault's Nico Hulkenberg at Haas for next year, as well as Esteban Ocon should the Mercedes protégé miss out on a plum drive with the Silver Arrows.
Finally, former Sauber driver and current Mahindra Formula E charger Pascal Wehrlein has also been linked with Gene Haas' outfit.

But given Haas' limited means, Steiner suggests his team might wait until the music stops and then see who happens to be without a chair.
"You're trying to figure out how the driver market is evolving, and then you're making the best decisions about what the market offers you, and that means seeing who's available, who is not, and who we can afford," Steiner told Motorsport-Magazin.
"There is one domino to fall and then the others fall in. Nothing is moving yet, the question is when will the first move, but maybe nothing will move.
"A lot of things still have to happen - some drivers are out of contract, but we cannot afford any current drivers on the market anyway."

While Steiner would welcome an opportunity to work with Ocon, the Italian sees drawbacks associated with the former Force India driver.
"When you've been out for a year, of course, your stock goes down, also Steiner won't settle for a one-year contract.
"Having a driver for just one year is usually not very productive," he admitted. "It would have to be for more than a year as we don't want to just be a training ground for someone."

Would Steiner take a chance on Wehrlein, who currently serves as Ferrari's simulator driver in addition to his Formula E commitment?
"He's been out for two years now, so it's difficult to come back," said the 54-year-old team boss.
"On the other hand, he races in Formula E, so he is not quite out and there seems to be the will to come back.
"But of course, it's also a big risk for him, and you have to ask him if he would want to do that.

article courtesy Michael Delaney, F1i.com, Sun 18th Aug.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 12:54:40 PM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

I think you may be right about Grosjean. I'm afraid it will come down to who's left without a ride but with a large bag o' swag.

I'd still love to see Josef Newgarden get a ride at Haas. He's a top rate drive (currently leads IndyCar). He can also deliver results at a seriously underfunded team, as he proved during his time at Sarah Fisher Racing.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

I think you may be right about Grosjean. I'm afraid it will come down to who's left without a ride but with a large bag o' swag.

I'd still love to see Josef Newgarden get a ride at Haas. He's a top rate drive (currently leads IndyCar). He can also deliver results at a seriously underfunded team, as he proved during his time at Sarah Fisher Racing.

I know that IndyCar to F1 doesn't always work out, but the drivers in IndyCar generally are the best drivers in the world who aren't in F1. 

If Liberty wants to grow F1 in the USA, finding common ground with American open wheel fans (and organizations) would be an easy place to work.

Offline jimclark

'Not knocking Newgarden by any means but doing well in a lower funded spec series team doesn't ensure doing well in an underfunded F1 team.....
"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

jimclark

Offline Dare

I'd like to see drivers get in F1 by merit not money. There's a
few I'd like to see gone. Gros would be a good start
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Alianora La Canta

I think the Hulk's got this one. They'd be a good match for each other.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Online John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
I just think it's shame Haas is not replacing both 'Wrecker Romain' and 'Iron wheels KMag', aka 'the Shunt brothers'.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Monty

I actually favour Grosjean over Magnussen but think neither really deserve their seats due to the amateur antics and poor attitudes. It is such a shame that drivers have to bring so much money to the smaller teams - I would like to see really good young drivers developing with the teams but money dictates average, rich drivers will get the seats!

Offline Scott

I actually favour Grosjean over Magnussen but think neither really deserve their seats due to the amateur antics and poor attitudes. It is such a shame that drivers have to bring so much money to the smaller teams - I would like to see really good young drivers developing with the teams but money dictates average, rich drivers will get the seats!

Absolutely.  Only pay driver I enjoy watching is Checo, and that’s only after he matured over the years.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

Don't forget that guys like Sterling Moss & Niki Lauda started as pay drivers.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

I think all drivers start as pay drivers in one sense or another.  Nobody becomes a professional full time race driver in any series without serious backing or a big pile of money themselves.

How do you make a small fortune in Motorsports?  Start with a large one.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle