collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 372
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Spa  (Read 2495 times)

Offline Monty

Spa
« on: August 30, 2019, 11:51:05 AM »
FP1 - Albon almost as fast as Verstappen yet Gasly was slower than Kvyat.
Hamilton is running more downforce than Bottas and ended up slower (although he was limited on laps due to a throttle sensor problem).
Ferraris really quick! However, I didn't follow the tyre choices so some of the difference could be due to tyres.

Offline Robem64

Re: Spa
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 12:22:16 PM »
Final times in FP1 - only the Mercs ran on the Medium compound. All others were on softs.
"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Online Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 02:41:20 PM »
FP1 - Albon almost as fast as Verstappen yet Gasly was slower than Kvyat.
Hamilton is running more downforce than Bottas and ended up slower (although he was limited on laps due to a throttle sensor problem).
Ferraris really quick! However, I didn't follow the tyre choices so some of the difference could be due to tyres.

It's got to be tough for Gasly.  Albon would be in heaven, driving a car that is a little more responsive, a little stickier to the track, a little more everything.  Every turn, every press of the throttle and brakes must be a revelation.

Gasly, on the other hand, his car is sluggish and unresponsive, he can't possibly trust it.  I hope he can recover his career and put in a bright future in F1.

Offline Monty

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 08:57:30 AM »
Great drives from Norris, Albon & Hamilton!
Leclerc did a fantastic job but the superior performance of the Ferrari flattered him a little.
I cannot understand why Ferrari pitted Vettel so early - yes he was slower than Hamilton but I think on a similar strategy he may have held Lewis off. With the very early stop he was a sitting target. He did a good job for the team (holding Lewis up for a few laps) and he didn't whinge but on this occasion I actually think he had good reason to complain!

Offline Willy

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 05:37:13 PM »
I greatly enjoy watching a GP at SPA.
Eau Rouge has to be the most exciting corner in F1, in my opinion.
What could be better...flat out acceleration, a drop to the left and then fast climb to the right and a
blind crest?
All at over 300 k.

Leclerc managed to hold off a charging Hamilton to gain his 1st win and now that the duck is broke,
he can add more wins to his CV.
A sad weekend for the community with the terrible accident that cost Hubert his life and
hurt others.
They all know the score and it is much safer then it was.
Every driver today needs to go shake Sir Jackie Stewart's hand and thank him for
his tireless effort in making all the tracks safer for all. Spectators included.

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 10:00:26 PM »
Not to just whine about safety improvements, but it has bothered me for years (especially after playing some racing games on Spa) that the runoffs at the top of Eu Rouge are far too narrow, and can easily spit a car back into the racing line.  Although that didn’t happen this time, it is possible if Hubert had hit the barrier another 10-15m away from the racing line, Correa’s jink wouldn’t have put them on a collision course.  So sad and such a brutal accident, reminded me in some ways of Zinardi being t-boned and losing his legs.  Well wishes for Hubert’s family and get well to Correa.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 10:05:19 PM »
So pleased that Leclerc has gotten a win I think he deserved earlier in the season, and it had very little to do with luck or conditions.  He drove flawlessly.  Even Lewis said when asked that he probably would have needed more than just one more lap, as he was still struggling to keep up to Leclerc’s pace. 

Max on the other hand spoiled his and Kimi’s race.  For some reason he was asked if Kimi deserved a penalty when in fact Max should have had one for spoiling Kimi’s race, but he crashed out before the stewards could do anything.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 10:54:03 AM »

I cannot understand why Ferrari pitted Vettel so early - yes he was slower than Hamilton but I think on a similar strategy he may have held Lewis off.

Ferrari feared the undercut from Merc, in fact if Lewis had pitted ahead of Vettel he would easily have cleared him by the next lap. Obviously that was not necessarily known for certain at the time of Vettel's stop, but Merc pressed home the point by coming out into the pitlane before Ferrari on that lap - Ferrari blinked and took the bait. Not sure there was anyway in that race that Seb could have stayed ahead of Lewis, there was the undercut possibility or the eventual route of having fresher tyres later in race.

Just a shame really that Giovanazzi's off brought yellows out in the build up section for a last gasp lunge by Lewis on Charles at the final chicane.

Summing up the race though I find that unfortunately DRS played far too big a part in the race. there's the train that formed behind KMag, doomed by the Ferrari engines grunt and followers having DRS cancelling each other for a dozen laps, when they did then get through it was pretty much one each lap after for the next 8 or 10.
Then we get the silliness on the last lap, Perez knows he can't resist DRS down Kemmel so he tries to engineer a passing opportunity for rookie Albon just before Eau Rouge to try to retake 5th place on the straight. Good to see young Alexander didn't fall for it.

Good for Charles to get First win but not sure he was the best on the day. Toss up between Lewis, Lando, Albon and Checho for my best of the race. - Have to give it to Albon for the entertainment he provided passing cars at places other than Kemmel on his 2nd stint on softs.

Have to feel for Danny Ric, qualified well, took grid penalty only to be biffed by Stroll at first turn due entirely to Max's big gaffe of going for a non existent gap. The early pit stop probably doomed him to  finish outside points, however if his team had pitted him 15 or so from the end he may well have been able to mount a charge a la Albon for a point or two.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle