F1 News & Discussions > General F1 Discussion

Reverse grids?

(1/6) > >>

Andy B:
I'm not making it up!
https://www.autosport.com/f1/feature/9521/why-f1-teams-should-back-the-reversed-grid-revolution

Why would they turn F1 into a farce especially after qualifying in Italy what would go on to get yourself further up the grid when reversed?
When I started watching F1 it was about the fastest cars and the skill of the drivers not reverse grids and flappy rear wings.
I'm afraid its bring back Bernie and get rid of Liberty.

rmassart:
I can't read the article, so I don't know what incentive the teams would have to qualify "last" so to speak. Points would have to be close to those gained for winning the actual race, but that would make the race far less important. And the tactics would be stupid. You'd have teams aiming to be 10th in qualifying or something like that.

If they want go in this direction, just scrap qualifying and base the starting grid on the reverse finishing order  in the previous race!

But I agree with your sentiment. F1 should be about the fastest car/driver combination winning. Full stop. If they want to equalise things they can do this in the technical regulations by standardising components far more, not by gimmicks.

Jericoke:
Formula One has changed dramatically.

It's no longer a handful of garagistas and a gentlemen racer having some fun.

The cars are super reliable, and computer designed to the nanometer, the drivers are as fit as any athlete on the planet, and have simulated hundreds of laps before even showing up at the track.

If you put the fastest driver/car at the front, they're very likely going to win, and it's not going to encourage passing.  The sport is basically designed to create a procession.  NOW, if you're a fan of design and technical driving, the sport is at its pinnacle.  I love seeing the engineers push the rules, or drivers shave fractions of a second by cutting a curb or braking late.

So, we can go back to hand made cars and leave computers out of it.  Let the drivers only experience the track on the race weekend.  That will create variability, suspense and surprise.

Or we can invert the grid, put the fast cars at the back, watch the top teams back rules that encourage passing and put on a spectacle.

I know I've mentioned the NFL before, but... they're the best sport at making money.  They're aware that people want to watch good games, and don't give a **** about tradition.  They create a schedule to ensure that games are interesting:  strong teams play strong teams, weak teams play weak teams, so the games themselves are close and entertaining.

lkjohnson1950:
Except for the Miami Dolphins!   :DD :DD

Andy B:

--- Quote from: Jericoke on September 19, 2019, 04:39:11 PM ---
Or we can invert the grid, put the fast cars at the back, watch the top teams back rules that encourage passing and put on a spectacle.

--- End quote ---

Tell me how that works at Monaco, Baku, Singapore and all the tracks that overtaking is a problem it would falsify the result and probably create carnage in the process.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version