collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 358
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Verstappen and his big mouth!  (Read 3354 times)

Offline Monty

Verstappen and his big mouth!
« on: November 06, 2019, 12:58:00 PM »
https://www.planetf1.com/news/verstappen-angers-italian-press-with-ferrari-comments/
Verstappen comes across as very abrasive and unpleasant. I do not know him but he continues to fuel this opinion. Perhaps he needs to change Manager because from what I hear his father is even more abrasive and unpleasant than he is!

Offline cosworth151

Re: Verstappen and his big mouth!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 03:43:41 PM »
A thought for Max:

Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 04:31:51 PM »
A thought for Max:

Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

I assume that Red Bull leaves him 'off the leash' because of the 'any publicity is good publicity' axiom, and the 'bad boy' image Red Bull tries to cultivate.

I'd hate to judge an entire nationality off of one individual, but the Dutch seem to really really support him.  Maybe it's just a small segment of them?  (You'd be hard pressed to find a Canadian, even a motosports fantatic, who would go to the mat supporting any of the Villeneuves or Strolls)

Offline Monty

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 04:47:13 PM »
The Dutch don't have much to celebrate so they do get behind sporting heros  :D
I don't know why Dutch people support him so much; he grew up as a Belgian! I begrudgingly accept that he drives the Red Bull very fast but I do not think he outperformed Ricciardo and since then he has been driving a good car, developed specifically for him and against part-time rookies - so nothing is proven yet. His hot-headed approach to racing has ensured that he has failed to score a reasonable number of points so far.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 06:51:36 PM »
I think Max has been misquoted, or rather mis-translated from the original, so we end up with the word cheating being banded about. I believe the correct translation of the Dutch wording used by Max should be literally translated as 'foul play' and not 'cheating'. Does rather take the shitstorm down a peg or two in my mind. 

I'm not a Max apologist but it does seem Ferrari's pace has dropped off substantially following the FIA's ruling after a Red Bull technical enquiry. Perhaps Brazil may offer Ferrari a chance to prove Max a slanderer, - I wont hold my breath.  :D

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 08:06:52 PM »
I think Max has been misquoted, or rather mis-translated from the original, so we end up with the word cheating being banded about. I believe the correct translation of the Dutch wording used by Max should be literally translated as 'foul play' and not 'cheating'. Does rather take the shitstorm down a peg or two in my mind. 

I'm not a Max apologist but it does seem Ferrari's pace has dropped off substantially following the FIA's ruling after a Red Bull technical enquiry. Perhaps Brazil may offer Ferrari a chance to prove Max a slanderer, - I wont hold my breath.  :D

We all know that once someone develops a 'reputation', it's very easy for the press and fans to twist anything they say or do to fit that reputation.

If Kimi said the exact same thing, he'd be a 'straight shooter', but he's earned that reputation.  If Lewis said it, it would be 'head games'.  Cyril:  'sour grapes'.

Offline Monty

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 08:35:53 AM »
It is clear that I do not like Verstappen; more to the point, I struggle with drivers like Verstappen - arrogant and too quick to voice an opinion (Eddie Irvine springs to mind!).
My reaction is based on the firm belief that a driver branding a whole team as cheats (or of employing foul play) with no facts is unreasonable (stupid!). Firstly, the driver may well be insulting a future employer! More importantly, a driver has no right to judge another team. A driver can be driving a car that is not within the spirit of the rules and not even know (let's not forget that RBR almost certainly 'cheated' with their flexible wing but nobody could ever prove it). It is OK for the engineers of one team to suggest that the engineers of another team have found a loophole; but the drivers should keep their mouths shut!
From what I have read it seems possible that Ferrari have found a method of squirting some more fuel into the combustion chambers down-channel of the flow monitors. If so, this was outside of the spirit of the rules but didn't break the rules (hence the need to rewrite the rule). I'm sure Ali will have some much better explanations but you get my drift!

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 05:08:29 PM »
I totally agree Monty, let the drivers worry about what other drivers get up to, if they must, but let engineers or team principals call out others if and when they have good reason.

Earlier my post was really about the flames being fanned by the media, however now on reflection I see that had Max made no comment there'd be nothing to exaggerate.

I do reckon however that deliberately squirting extra fuel, if that's what they have been doing, is more in the naughty zone than pure innovation or resourcefulness with regard to loopholes.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2019, 08:55:35 PM »
Sadly, I don't know if Ferrari is cheating and don't know the mechanism. I suspect the FIA has a clue though  ;)
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle