collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 365
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Ferrari Give Vettel 5 Race Ultimatum  (Read 3088 times)

Offline cosworth151

Ferrari Give Vettel 5 Race Ultimatum
« on: December 16, 2019, 05:42:13 PM »
Ferrari is giving Sebastian Vettel 5 races to "shape up or ship out." Team principal Mattia Binotto said, “We have to see the performance, the way he (Vettel) adapts to the car and his motivation for the future. It’s not about whether he makes mistakes or not. It’s really about how he sees his future and how we see our team.

“Ferrari has the advantage that we are very popular among the drivers. We are in a privileged situation. By the beginning of May, roughly around the race in Spain, we want to know where the journey will go in 2021.”

This has to be the earliest start to the "Silly Season" ever.

https://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/ferrari-issues-sebastian-vettel-five-race-improvement-deadline

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Ferrari Give Vettel 5 Race Ultimatum
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 05:56:08 PM »
Smacks of Enzo and the old days. "Ferrari drivers are expected to win."
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 06:47:44 PM »
So if Seb is shown the door will we see Kimi's return to Ferrari for the rest of the season?

With so many top drivers out of contract at the end of 2020  is there a better, safer driver to put straight into the seat knowing its only til season end?  :DntKnw:

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 08:20:06 PM »
Up until now, Seb has gotten his best results when 'coddled'.  Don't get me wrong, I know Seb works hard, and deserves to be where he is.  But we've all seen that he doesn't handle adversity well.  If you want him to win, you need to take the pressure off, and let his talent flow.  Ferrari has NEVER done that, and they've never won a championship with Seb.  It's possible he's a bad fit for the programme, but I think he also shows the flaws in their programme.

Without that 100% trust, can anyone win?

Maybe it's Charles' advantage, coming of age in a mess at Ferrari instead of the finely tuned watch of Jean Todt's Ferrari, Ron Dennis's McLaren, James Horner's Red Bull or Toto Wolf's Mercedes.

Certainly Hamilton and Seb had solid teams backing their championships.  If Charles can win without that, it puts him right in the mix of the greats.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 02:31:02 PM »
This has to be the earliest start to the "Silly Season" ever.

Earliest since the 2005 silly season, which started on the last race of 2003 (when Juan Pablo Montoya signed for McLaren without warning. We knew he was hot property at the time but signing a contract over a year in advance was a surprise).

I think this is more a question of figuring out what Ferrari needs, and who can best provide it. If Hamilton is truly on the table, and if Ferrari has a role for him, they're going to need to know if they have a vacancy quickly. If not, there's a bit more time, and a quiet extension may happen... ...but Sebastian has tended to give a pretty good indicator of how his season is going to go in the early part of seasons (be that good, bad or indifferent), so that's also likely to be the case in 2020. So it may well be that Ferrari will know if it needs to go looking for someone else early in the season, even if Lewis stays put.

Whether it will know who it needs at that point is quite another question.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 12:30:49 PM »
Vettel doesn’t have to prove anything to me, but I guess Ferrari do need to decide on new team leadership at some point...preferably at the end of the season, not the beginning. 

I don’t like to see any driver ditched part way through a season.  I think that can directly affect future opportunities and earnings, and a team should hold up their end of a contract, just the same as a driver is expected to hold up his.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 01:15:32 PM »

I don’t like to see any driver ditched part way through a season.  I think that can directly affect future opportunities and earnings, and a team should hold up their end of a contract, just the same as a driver is expected to hold up his.

Unfortunately like all other sport, and employment for that matter, the money/remuneration side of the contract is really the only enforceable part.

No contract can force a team to give a seat in the car to any driver at any GP.

It's my understanding that at best it might be possible for a sacked driver to get an injunction to temporarily stop the car racing with another driver, bear in mind though this hasn't worked in the past - remember Sauber having 4 drivers for 2 seats at the start of 2015. 

A team also has the ultimate right not to run any car at all if they choose. 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 05:00:22 PM »
They might not dump him, they might just tell him his contract won't be renewed and give LeClerc #1 status. Imagine Vettel leading a race and he gets the message "LeClerc is faster than you. Do you understand?"
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 09:52:39 PM »
I suppose someone like Vettel might at that point only hear static.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2020, 09:27:23 AM »

I don't think that was the plan. It's because Lewis is potentially on the table and Ferrari may need to act quickly to get him if so. By getting an early indicator about Seb's situation, they can more effectively indicate to Lewis if there's a seat and what wage level he needs to pitch at if he's to get it (if a seat is indeed available).

If Seb doesn't reply early enough, Ferrari might reasonably assume they cannot guarantee his availability, and will therefore permit Lewis to negotiate a higher wage. If Seb is interested, they'll either require a low wage from Lewis (if Seb's performance is middling) or state that unfortunately, no seat is available (if Seb's performance is anywhere near as good as we know it can be). I get the impression they'd prefer an old hand alongside Leclerc unless Charles makes another big step up during the season.

The in-team positioning is a separate issue. My guess is that Seb will get the same deal as Charles on that one - they'll be allowed to race each other most of the time, with management reserving the right to fix positions one way or the other if it is deemed to be in the team's interest. Of course, the wording will be more elegant and vaguer than this, but both will know what that means. Yes, Ferrari knows that in Seb's case, deployment of such techniques will need to be subtle (Russia, anyone)? but it's not scared of that.

John, the Contract Recognitions Board is capable of preventing drivers from being wrongly refused a seat if the driver has complied with conditions. Sauber got round that in 2015 by having lots of contracts running simultaneously, making it unclear who should be in the seat and thus frustrating the CRB (it's designed more for preventing mid-season replacements of one specific driver by another specific driver).

The court injunction would have worked, insofaras Sauber would have been forced to run Giedo van der Garde, had he not been paid about £8.5 million pounds in settlement fees to compensate for the loss of his seat. Note that he was a pay driver and technically wouldn't have been paid anything except expenses had he driven, but the sponsors still needed compensating - it was about 40% of what they would have received had the agreed advertising happened. How that got resolved was never communicated to us. The point remains that had Giedo stood his ground, he would have raced the Sauber - unless the team withdrew altogether in sheer embarrassment.

Adrian Sutil would have been able to do likewise had he been in Australia when the scandal was revealed (unlike Giedo, he'd been told he didn't have a seat before leaving home). Since he opted to stay away, he simply put in a regular court case after the Australian GP, using the evidence from Giedo's injunction papers as evidence, got the same deal and quietly left F1.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 09:31:21 AM by Alianora La Canta »
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle